Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Intel Mac (Mactel) FAQ

Beans

Re: Intel Mac (Mactel) FAQ

Quote Originally Posted by Lokesh123 View Post
    I think the bless command is the most important step, file BTW should be grub22...efi instead.
    I actually renamed the 'grup2202fat.efi' to 'grub.efi'. Either way works.

This also works very well for installing Ubuntu on a flash drive! The EFI partition has to be formatted as HFS+ though. Unfortunatly, I've so far been unsuccessful installing Kubuntu using the same technique.

LasVegas

Beans

I was wrong about having to reformat the EFI partition to HFS+ on an external drive. It turns out, the Mac will in fact see the EFI partition in its original FAT32 format as long as the folders are arranged correctly.

1) There must be an 'EFI' folder in the main directory.

2) Within that folder, there must be a folder containing the efi boot binary with one of a select set of approved names. I chose to use 'BOOT'; The most ubiquitous of the selections.

One of the problems with using the EFI, boot partition is that when a drive is formatted in GUID with Apple's Disk Utility, the EFI is always 200MiB and Apple, playing it safe, places 128MiB of free space between partitions. This isn't such a problem when using big hard drives, but when you want to install Linux on a flash drive, precious space is wasted.

One solution is to use the Kubuntu installer. The partition utility used in the installer allows partitioning a drive in the GUID scheme by defining the first partition (minimum 50MiB) as EFI. Unfortunately, while I really like the Kubuntu environment, the configuration and installation of drivers afterward is a pain, when possible at all.

The solution that I've come up with is relatively easy to accomplish and works using Mac OSX and the regular Ubuntu install CD.

1) First, the drive must be partitioned in GUID previously using Apple's Disk Utility. Then boot into the Ubuntu CD Desktop.

2) Run "Terminal" from the Applications/Accessories menu and run 'sudo parted'

3) Enter 'print all' to determine which drive is your target drive and set that drive with the 'select <device>' command.

4) remove the Linux partition with 'rm 2' command.

5) resize the EFI partition with the command 'resize 1 0 50' (resize partition 1 to 50MiB)

6) If you previously changed the EFI partition by reformatting it, you may need to reformat it to FAT32 (mkfs 1 fat32) and set it back to an EFI partition (set 1 boot on).

7) Leave the remainder of the drive for partitioning and formatting in the Ubuntu installer. If you're using a flash drive, don't bother creating a swap partition. If it's a dedicated drive, use 1/2 or 1/4 of your physical memory for swap, but you shouldn't need more than 512MiB. Use 'ext4' for your Linux partition.

After installing Ubuntu, you need to boot back into OS X to install the EFI boot files. Use the Terminal to mount the EFI partition:
    mkdir /efi
    sudo mount msdos /dev/diskXs1 /efi (where X is the target drive's number)

Create your 'EFI' folder and 'BOOT' within that folder. Place your grub.efi and grub.cfg within the BOOT folder.

Bless the EFI partition with "sudo bless folder=/efi/EFI/BOOT file=/efi/EFI/BOOT/grub.efi"

This boots without fail using the Option (alt) key boot sequence. Any future editing of the grub.cfg simply requires repeating the mount command above.

I hope this helps others!

LasVegas

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Question Re: Intel Mac (Mactel) FAQ

Here's another question that I haven't been able to find an answer for:

Why exactly would you want to use Ubuntu over the Mac OS? What software is out for Linux based OSs that isn't available for the Mac?

It's a no-brainer going from Windows to Ubuntu, but with Mac to Ubuntu, I'm like why?

Thanks for all those who can answer this question.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Quote Originally Posted by untmdsprt View Post
    Here's another question that I haven't been able to find an answer for:

Why exactly would you want to use Ubuntu over the Mac OS? What software is out for Linux based OSs that isn't available for the Mac?

It's a no-brainer going from Windows to Ubuntu, but with Mac to Ubuntu, I'm like why?

Thanks for all those who can answer this question.
    May be to be free at last ?

Beans
    Distro

There has to be more than just "free at last." For my needs, I'm finding that Ubuntu is a good addition to, but not a replacement for the Mac.

I'm going to be taking a look at Ubuntu Studio when it finishes downloading. Too bad there isn't a PowerPC version. I have an old G4 tower full of recording equipment that it would be perfect for!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Ubuntu among linuxen for ease of use. Linux generally for flexibility, adaptability, and the lack of middlemen getting between me and what I need.

Example 1: I blew up a special SD card full of irreplaceable photos. (No, it was not recoverable with normal tools.) I had no idea what to do. I did a bit of searching, found a program, it was already in synaptic, and one click installed it. No "trial versions," no registrations, no credit cards, no crap. Then it took me an hour to recover the card because I was being s.u.p.e.r...c.a.r.e.f.u.l.

Example 2: I decided I needed a vector-based drawing program. Quick search yields Inkscape. Download, install, done.

The fact that I can always get what I need when I need it is addictive for me. When I have to work on relatives' Macs or PCs, I can't believe the BS they don't realize they don't have to put up with.

Last example: I want to move my music to my mp3 player. I don't have to go through a bunch of steps to jailbreak anything. I don't have to go to itunes. You may like itunes. I can't stand it. And that's the problem with Apple: one size fits all. There's no choice. And I get to pay through the nose for the privilege. That doesn't work for me. If their size happens to fit you, great. If it fits so well you're happy to pay their prices, even better.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Why exactly would you want to use Ubuntu over the Mac OS?
    I have had to reinstall MacOSX 5 times in the last 5 years due to the fact that HFS is so utterly brain-dead (and MacOSX doesn't handle full disk conditions very well). I have only once have ever had to reinstall Linux/Ubuntu over the last 15 years I've been using it. Ext2/ext3/ext4 is much more reliable and Linux handles full hard drives much better.

My wife started depending upon iTunes and iPhoto and that was a mistake which I will eventually try to recover -- iTunes and iPhoto are completely incompatible with everything, AFAICT. I'm going to work on transitioning her from Mac OSX to Ubuntu, but this is going to take some time

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by robertbub View Post

My wife started depending upon iTunes and iPhoto and that was a mistake which I will eventually try to recover -- iTunes and iPhoto are completely incompatible with everything, AFAICT. I'm going to work on transitioning her from Mac OSX to Ubuntu, but this is going to take some time
    I can relate to the iPhoto problem. I've had to reinstall my database from a backup and now all my RAW files are completely messed up. That part of it is going straight to Ubuntu, and have set up an external drive to capture all my RAW files straight from the camera. I'm tired of this crap!!

I'm going to work on seeing if iPhoto can burn those files to a CD.

Beans

There has to be more than just "free at last." For my needs, I'm finding that Ubuntu is a good addition to, but not a replacement for the Mac.

I'm going to be taking a look at Ubuntu Studio when it finishes downloading. Too bad there isn't a PowerPC version. I have an old G4 tower full of recording equipment that it would be perfect for!
    you could install xubuntu 9.10 for ppc and then maybe install the ubuntu-studio packages?

or is this a recipe for disaster?

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by patg7590 View Post
    you could install xubuntu 9.10 for ppc and then maybe install the ubuntu-studio packages?

or is this a recipe for disaster?
    There is a desktop version that would allow me to use a Live CD on the Mac without installing anything. This would be better since I wouldn't have to do anything.

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/PowerPCDownloads

Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast