Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Intel Mac (Mactel) FAQ

Beans

Re: Intel Mac (Mactel) FAQ

Hello. I've successfully installed Ubuntu on my mac with Bootcamp as well. I was wondering which wireless driver was the right one to use, as the one recommended to me isn't installing properly. I have a macbook pro of the most recent update.

Thanks,
    Robert

EDIT: I solved the problem by installing through Synaptic Package Manager. Thanks guys!
    Last edited by Fre3energy; December 10th, 2010 at 10:32 PM.

Beans

Hi, i'm trying to install Ubuntu 10.10 off a CD, to my macbook pro 6,2 with intel i5 processor, and when I go to install it wants me to connect to the internet. So i went to connect to the internet and typed in all the information I knew into the connection settings (ssid, mode, security and passphrase, mac address) but it doesn't connect. what do I do?
    Last edited by gaboguy7; December 27th, 2010 at 05:02 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by gaboguy7 View Post
    Hi, i'm trying to install Ubuntu 10.10 off a CD, to my macbook pro 6,2 with intel i5 processor, and when I go to install it wants me to connect to the internet. So i went to connect to the internet and typed in all the information I knew into the connection settings (ssid, mode, security and passphrase, mac address) but it doesn't connect. what do I do?
    I would definitely try with a Ethernet connection. There might be issues with your wireless card!

Beans

yap the old one was getting a bit behind the time especially with all the wiki documentation we have now.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by gaboguy7 View Post
    go with pinguy os http://pinguyos.com/ which is a very slick ubuntu remix, and use this method here http://sslove.posterous.com/how-to-t...th-windows-and

i've installed pinguy to several macintels and never had any problems at all. wireless works out of the box, plus many other great tweaks to ubuntu.
    Last edited by teklife; February 23rd, 2011 at 03:39 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by untmdsprt View Post
    ...Why exactly would you want to use Ubuntu over the Mac OS? What software is out for Linux based OSs that isn't available for the Mac?...It's a no-brainer going from Windows to Ubuntu, but with Mac to Ubuntu, I'm like why?..
    and a variant to this question:

my refurbished computer is very old - noisy and at least one of the 3 internal drives is dying slowly of old age.
    Also the learning curve of Linux is not too steep, but nevertheless never ending once you start fiddling around with settings a bit.
    This caused me to spend more time on computers than first intended - a nice new hobby, but too much time consuming.

Should I spend money on eg a mini-mac (dual booting with Linux for some programs) for stability and ease of use, or simply buy a more modern (less noise) pc?

Beans

Hi,

I'm having an issue with installing the graphics card, I cant get the first step on to work
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/MacBookAir3-2/Meerkat

sudo apt-get install btusb-dkms applesmc-dkms hid-apple-dkms bcm5974-dkms xf86-input-multitouch snd-hda-dkms mbp-nvidia-bl-dkms -y

i get the following error

flavio@flavio-MacBookAir:~$ sudo apt-get install btusb-dkms applesmc-dkms hid-apple-dkms bcm5974-dkms xf86-input-multitouch snd-hda-dkms mbp-nvidia-bl-dkms -y
    Reading package lists... Done
    Building dependency tree
    Reading state information... Done
    E: Unable to locate package btusb-dkms
    E: Unable to locate package applesmc-dkms
    E: Unable to locate package snd-hda-dkms
    E: Unable to locate package mbp-nvidia-bl-dkms
    I am running Ubuntu Ubuntu 11.04 64bit on a MacBook Air late 2010 11" (new model)

any suggestions?

Beans

Are Mac good to play videogames?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by guillermo112 View Post
    Are Mac good to play videogames?
    Yes, but there are many more games available for Windows, & for the price of a medium quality graphics card you can buy a PS3 or XBox, both of which have heaps of games that are dead easy to install & play, & can be obtained at very low prices if you are prepared to play games that are a year or so old, which is what I do on a PS3. You can also use the PS3 network for free if you like to play online games.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by lonflavio View Post
    Hi,

I'm having an issue with installing the graphics card, I cant get the first step on to work
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/MacBookAir3-2/Meerkat

sudo apt-get install btusb-dkms applesmc-dkms hid-apple-dkms bcm5974-dkms xf86-input-multitouch snd-hda-dkms mbp-nvidia-bl-dkms -y

i get the following error

I am running Ubuntu Ubuntu 11.04 64bit on a MacBook Air late 2010 11" (new model)

any suggestions?

I'm having the same problem.

Following suggestions at: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Ma...ir3-2/Meerkat/

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:mactel-support/ppa
    sudo apt-get update
    These packages are not found:
    btusb-dkms
    hid-apple-dkms
    bcm5974-dkms
    xf86-input-multitouch
    snd-hda-dkms

Any suggestions much appreciated.

Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast