Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast

Thread: Intel Mac (Mactel) FAQ

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Intel Mac (Mactel) FAQ

Quote Originally Posted by amo3 View Post
    Installation from CD failed for me with 11.10 alternate . Same issue, unable to detect any usable CD.
    Did you use a USB stick as well as the CD? Maybe the USB is necessary after all.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mambeu View Post
    Did you use a USB stick as well as the CD? Maybe the USB is necessary after all.
    USB and CD worked! Thank you very much! With the live CD it was automatic.. With the alternate install I needed to manually mount the USB to /cdrom with "mount -t iso9660 /dev/sdb /cdrom"

Beans

I don't get this:
    Can I run Ubuntu on my asus?

Beans

I just got a Mac mini and want to get all my ducks in a row before I install Ubuntu. Thank you guy for all the information.

Beans

Ubuntu 11.04 on Macbook pro 5,3

Can I install Ubuntu 11.04 amd64 (the one downloaded from the main ubuntu site) on an intel Mac?
    Or, is the another Intel 64 version?

I have a Macbook pro 5,3 with Lion installed.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Ubuntu 11.04 on Macbook pro 5,3

Quote Originally Posted by jtaylor7192 View Post
    Can I install Ubuntu 11.04 amd64 (the one downloaded from the main ubuntu site) on an intel Mac?
    Or, is the another Intel 64 version?

I have a Macbook pro 5,3 with Lion installed.
    "AMD64" is the distro for 64bit Intel architecture and similars (AMD) processors such as the Core 2 Duo your MacBook should have.

Beans

Scratching my head over this one...I recently purchased a Macbook Pro (15" and early 2011, 8,2) and I wanted to install Ubuntu alongside Lion (I've previously installed it alongside Windows on 3 different machines with no problems). After some struggling, I finally got it to boot an 11.04 disk and successfully created a SWAP partition and an ext4 partition using space I'd allocated for Windows using Boot Camp. However, whenever I press option at startup, Ubuntu (or "Windows" as the walkthroughs say it's sometimes called) isn't displayed: I see the regular Mac HD, the Recovery HD, and three different recovery things that weren't there before (one for Snow Leopard and one for Mac and Windows, if I recover correctly). No Ubuntu, no Windows.

rEFIt also isn't working, although I've read that's a known issue. Can't dig up anything about Ubuntu just not showing up after installation, though (although my Googling skills might not be up to par). Couldn't find anything on the first 3 pages. Apologies if this has been answered elsewhere.

Beans

The solution is simple: Create a live CD AND a live USB. The live system will boot from CD and procede from USB.
    http://ubuntuforums.org/images/smilies/guitar.gif

Beans

Hi,

I realize this problem may have already been successfully addressed elsewhere...if so sorry, but if you could direct me to one of those places I would appreciate it greatly!

I have a mid-2007 (3,1) Macbook Pro on which I recently installed Ubuntu 10.04 (LTS release, it was the only one whose installation CD I could get to work) and manually upgraded to 10.10 then 11.04. The display settings see my laptop display as 'unknown' and do not recognize my external monitor at all.

I've installed the nVidia additional drivers but they don't 'activate'...I don't know whether that is a problem or not. I have found several command line hacks posted on various discussion board threads but the ones I've tried have not worked for me. Is there something simple I am missing?

Beans

Very cool I have analyzed some of my problems me Thank you

Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast