Thread: What file extension is file type ogg Theora video? Ogv or Ogg?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate

Post What file extension is file type ogg Theora video? Ogv or Ogg?

Hi. I notice that when videos are made in Pitivi that it doesn't add a file extension. In a folder, under type the video is ogg Theora video. I like to add extensions to all my files to allow for easier searching. Shold these files get a .ogg or a .ogv extension?
    Thanks.
    1st Distro used (live CD): Knoppix in early 2007 ¦ 1st Distro Installed: Ubuntu 7.10 in Feb 2008
    GNU/Linux User #470660 – Ubuntu User #28226
    Isaac Asimov: "I do not fear computers. I fear the lack of them."

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: What file extension is file type ogg Theora video? Ogv or Ogg?

It doesn't matter. ogg or ogv are fine. The extensions are more there for humans to tell what the files are the computer normally couldn't care less about the extension.

If I recall right they've recently started encouraging using .oga for audio and .ogv for video.
    Last edited by jerome1232; January 21st, 2009 at 08:28 PM.
    "You can't expect to hold supreme executive power just because some watery tart lobbed a sword at you"

"Don't let your mind wander -- it's too little to be let out alone."

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

last i saw it was .ogg for both video files and audio files, but other poster is right, it doesn't really matter. you could name them all .ogg-video or .video.ogg - remember, linux filenames are much more flexible than windows.

Beans

ogg is what you are looking for. Despite the fact that Linux is lenient with extensions there are plenty apps that still use the extensions to identify file types. I had to change the extension of my file to ogg so that dvdstyler could see it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by Crummy_Gummy View Post
    ogg is what you are looking for. Despite the fact that Linux is lenient with extensions there are plenty apps that still use the extensions to identify file types. I had to change the extension of my file to ogg so that dvdstyler could see it.
    This link is proposing .ogg or .oga for audio, .ogv for video and replacing .ogg by .ogx for generic ogg files. These are for MIME types but general file naming will follow MIME types as some software insists on adding extensions even if the OS doesn't need them.

They are useful for quick identification of file types and having a separate extension for audio and video files is useful in that respect.
    Geoff Walker

Hewlett Packard G72: Ubuntu 10.04, Lucid Lynx
    Acer Aspire One: Linux Mint 11, Katya