now i use my sound card correctly.
    Nice job!!!!

Beans

Re: ALSA Upgrade Script

I'm getting an error similar to a previous poster
    I'm running
    Ubuntu 8.10
    Kernel: 2.6.27-11
    Alsa revision : Advanced Linux Sound Architecture Driver Version 1.0.17.
    Upgrade script revision : AlsaUpgrade-1.0.x-rev-1.16.sh

At this point I've only tried to download the source files and compile them. I tried the snap option as well. I suspect I am doing something incredibly stupid but some assistance would be appreciated. Here's the last part of the log file before it fails.

Hacking autoconf.h...
    make dep
    make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/src/Alsa-1.0.19/alsa-driver-1.0.19'
    make[2]: Entering directory `/usr/src/Alsa-1.0.19/alsa-driver-1.0.19/acore'
    copying file alsa-kernel/core/info.c
    /usr/src/Alsa-1.0.19/alsa-driver-1.0.19/utils/patch-alsa: 24: patch: not found
    make[2]: *** [info.c] Error 1
    make[2]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/Alsa-1.0.19/alsa-driver-1.0.19/acore'
    make[1]: *** [dep] Error 1
    make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/Alsa-1.0.19/alsa-driver-1.0.19'
    make: *** [include/sndversions.h] Error 2
    alsa-driver-1.0.19 make failed

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by doyama View Post
    At this point I've only tried to download the source files and compile them. I tried the snap option as well. I suspect I am doing something incredibly stupid but some assistance would be appreciated.
    No. We are not stupid What's missing is the patch program. Install it

sudo apt-get install patch

and go ahead with the Alsa Upgrade Script.

Hannes

Beans

Thanks for the info. I got my sound card working after I ran the Alsa upgrade script with -di option and restarted my laptop.

System information:

Lenovo laptop

Audio device: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) High Definition Audio Controller (rev 02)

Ubuntu 8.04 - Hardy Heron

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Quote Originally Posted by Xyem View Post
    I'm having a little trouble with 1.0.19 on my Acer Aspire 5930.
    With 1.0.17, I had the "Side" channel which provided some extra volume and most of the bass for my sound output. Since I've upgraded though, I only get ( relatively ) quiet and mostly treble output.

The laptop has "Virtual SurroundSound" and I think the problem is only the Front output is working. I can only get output on other channels if I run
    Code:
    speaker-test -l1 -twave -Dplug:default
    which results in a very deep voice saying things on the wrong speakers ( saying "Front Right" on the Left speaker ). Any other parameters only gives me 2 channels being output..

Anyone else experienced similiar problems or could point me in the right direction to help me diagnose the problem? 1.0.17 played music really well ( even bass-y music ) but 1.0.19 has "broken" that ( but given me HDMI output )
    Fixed this I had to add the following to /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base:
    options snd-hda-intel model=acer

Beans

This script worked for me! Thank you very much! My hardware is the Intel motherboard: DG45FC and after running the script and rebooting it worked out of the box! Thanks again for writting such a useful script! I wish the ubuntu repos would hurry up and catch up with the releases of ALSA, probably save a lot of people headaches.

Beans
    Hidden!

Hi ,
    First of all thanks for the script.
    On Ubuntu 8.04 with & ATI radeon 3200 card configuration i am trying to get my HDMI speakers to work.
    When i did Ubuntu 8.10 (intrepid) fresh install & installed proprietory ati driver 8.12 i am able to get beep sound in test of gnome-sound-properties but still mplayer or vlc or any other player is still not giving any sound output.

To make sound work on Ubuntu 8.04 i looked for alsa versions in both system & found that Ubuntu 8.10 working on alsa-1.0.17. So i thought to do an alsa upgrade to 1.0.19 on my Ubuntu 8.04 installation

Using the script mentioned i did alsa upgrade to 1.0.19 but still with Hardy (Ubuntu 8.04) i cant hear any sound in test of gnome-sound-properties. Can anyone here help me out to at least upgrade my hardy installation to intrepid levels so that i can hear voice in test from gnome-sound-properties??

Beans

I just ran this on Ubuntu 8.10 and now the sound on my ASUS P5Q works just great! I had tried to update ALSA manually but it didn't pan out.

Thanks!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

no luck with this either!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Question Re: ALSA Upgrade Script

Quote Originally Posted by soundcheck View Post
    Latest post update 01/21/2009
    To test your first (default-index 0 X=0) soundcard, type e.g.:
    $ aplay -Dplughw:X,0 -fcd /<your-music-directory>/<replace-this-with-your-soundfile>.wav
    or e.g.
    $ speaker-test -Dplughw:X,0 -c2
    replace the X with the index of your soundcard index , which you find out by typing "aplay -l" - look for "card X"
    The second option works for me, I can hear sound, but when I try the first option to play an mp3 file, it doesn't, what could be wrong?

root@AbleBlue:/opt# aplay -Dplughw:0,0 -fcd /home/moon/Music/Sadma.mp3
    Playing raw data '/home/moon/Music/Sadma.mp3' : Signed 16 bit Little Endian, Rate 44100 Hz, Stereo
    root@AbleBlue:/opt#

Page 11 of 124 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161111 ... LastLast