Page 112 of 124 FirstFirst ... 1262102110111112113114122 ... LastLast
Results 1,111 to 1,120 of 1236

Thread: ALSA Upgrade Script

Beans

Angry Re: ALSA Upgrade Script

hi,
    i'm using BlankOn ombilin (it think this is same with ubuntu) in hp presario Cq42. everything is ok but only sound is not ok (there's no sound). i've already upgrade my alsa with 1.0.23 but still not working....please help me.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: ALSA Upgrade Script

I've finally got it to work! The problem was, as I described 2 posts above, about Conexant CX20585 sound adapter, on Toshiba laptop.

Fixed it by updating Alsa drivers, following instructions on this site, and rebooting afterwards.

Now both the speakers, and the headphones are working, and the mute problem is gone too.

Beans

I just can't believe that with every new Ubuntu release I'm getting thrown back to fixing utterly basic features.

It's the 4th release for me by now and every time sound is making trouble. A task as basic as handling 2 different audio devices is simply too much for Ubuntu. Great.
    I'll give OSS another try, which was my saviour some time ago already, but things are starting to feel uncomfortable. I used Mint, which worked much better in this respect, but it doesn't look to be the safest distro - got hacked. Possibly due to bad standard samba configs. I wonder how this is better in the 'original' Ubuntu.

Maybe this is the time to switch to Sid, Arch or Gentoo...

perixx

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by perixx View Post
    I just can't believe that with every new Ubuntu release I'm getting thrown back to fixing utterly basic features.

It's the 4th release for me by now and every time sound is making trouble. A task as basic as handling 2 different audio devices is simply too much for Ubuntu. Great.
    I'll give OSS another try, which was my saviour some time ago already, but things are starting to feel uncomfortable. I used Mint, which worked much better in this respect, but it doesn't look to be the safest distro - got hacked. Possibly due to bad standard samba configs. I wonder how this is better in the 'original' Ubuntu.

Maybe this is the time to switch to Sid, Arch or Gentoo...

perixx
    I have to agree with you. As I see it all the Linux 'Distro's" are little fiefdoms of knowledge with each reinventing the wheel over & over.
    It's about bloody time basic functionality like this was sorted out.
    I'm tired of excuses & them concentrating on rearranging icons & eye candy nonsense .

Beans

Thank you, thank you and once again...THANK YOU! For those having ALSA problems, I highly recommend following these instructions.

Thanks again

Quote Originally Posted by soundcheck View Post
    Latest post update 05/10/2010
    Latest Alsa-Upgrade-Script update 05/11/2010 Rev. 1.0.23-2.sh
    Latest alsa-info.sh update 05/10/2010 (1.0.23)
    Latest Alsa-Package update: 05/10/2010 (1.0.23)

BACKGROUND:

The audio functionality of any computer system belongs to the very basic functions of a PC and OS. No sound, poor sound, limited functionality - No use for such a system!

The main idea behind upgrading ALSA with attached script is to make Linux available to a slightly wider community.

The script bridges the huge delay (up to a year) of Alsa updates supplied through the official channels.
    By running the upgrade you'll have a much bigger chance to get your soundcard working or problems resolved.

The script installs the latest official stable ALSA release. (optional the even more up 2 date driver snapshot will be installed)

Upgraded packages

Alsa 1.0.23 (stabil)

See: Changelog Alsa 1.0.23

DRIVER=alsa-driver-1.0.23
    FIRMWARE=alsa-firmware-1.0.23
    LIB=alsa-lib-1.0.23
    PLUGINS=alsa-plugins-1.0.23
    UTILS=alsa-utils-1.0.23
    TOOLS=alsa-tools-1.0.23
    OSS=alsa-oss-1.0.17

Supported kernels: 2.6.24/26/27/28/29/30/31/32 family (including rt-kernel & NON-Ubuntu ZEN-rt-kernel)

Note: The restore currently does not not work on custom kernels!

UPGRADE:

The script is not in line with Debian/Ubuntu rules for package handling. It just overwrites existing files.
    You won't see any changes on the ALSA package-ids within Synaptic!

The script recognizes severe problems during the installation and will stop automatically. It shouldn't mess up your setup.
    If the script stops with an error-message nothing should have been touched!

In the worst case scenario the -r restore option restores your old system status as good as possible. It'll reinstall kernel, kernel-headers and Alsa related packages.

Ubuntu upgrades/updates might overwrite your Alsa installation once in a while (e.g. Major upgrades, kernel-upgrades or ALSA-package upgrades).
    You just need to rerun the upgrade-script using the -i option in this case (if you still have the compiled sources on the disk).

Disclaimer: I won't take any responsibility for mess-ups caused by using the script! -- Of course - I do my best to avoid these and support you as much as I can.

As usual - Make a backup first! - A restore will just take 5 minutes with rsync. That might save you hours of troubleshooting and frustration .

Please consider that I rely on your support to improve the script and really appreciate your involvement.

Short Alsa-Upgrade script install instructions:

1. download the script and save it somewhere
    2. cd <your-download-dir>
    3. tar xvf AlsaUpgrade-1.0.23-2.tar
    4. sudo ./AlsaUpgrade-1.0.23-2.sh -d
    5. sudo ./AlsaUpgrade-1.0.23-2.sh -c
    6. sudo ./AlsaUpgrade-1.0.23-2.sh -i
    7. sudo shutdown -r 0

Logging: I recommend to log all the upgrade steps, e.g.

script -a -c "./AlsaUpgrade-1.0.23-2.sh -d" /tmp/Alsa_1.0.23-2_upgrade_download.log

You'll find a log file /tmp/Alsa_1.0.23-2_upgrade_download.log as soon as the script is finished.
    You need to run this procedure for every single step. Choose whatever logfile names.

Test and Troubleshooting

After reboot you can type:

cat /proc/asound/version

This will let you know if you're running the new version.

The easiest and most reliable test to verify if Alsa is working is "aplay" - the Alsa player application. If aplay won't work -- nothing else will work.

Make sure that all your channels are unmuted and volume is up!

Type in a terminal:
    $ aplay -l
    (This won't work on e.g. webcams with a microphone only. Here you need to do a $cat /proc/asound/cards to see if it is there"

If you see your soundcards, you're almost there.

To test your first (default-index 0 X=0) soundcard, type e.g.:
    $ aplay -Dplughw:X,0 -fcd /<your-music-directory>/<replace-this-with-your-soundfile>.wav
    or e.g.
    $ speaker-test -Dplughw:X,0 -c2
    replace the X with the index of your soundcard index , which you find out by typing "aplay -l" - look for "card X"

Multichannel you can test the following way:
    1. Type $aplay -L to find out about your pcm device . e.g "surround51"
    2. Type $speaker-test -D surround51 -c6
    Note: If the channel mapping should be wrong you need to adjust it in .asoundrc

Before reporting "NO SOUND" problems - check if your alsamixer-channels are activated and unmuted (gnome-mixer/volume-control/preferences)!!
    Very often there are headphone-jack, Toslink, SPDIF or microphone issues reported. Usually this has something to do with wrong alsamixer settings or more seldom with a wrong model-id assigned to your sound-driver in /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.conf .
    If you're lacking certain controls in alsamixer or your driver is not even being loaded, you should check-out your model-id in attached HD-Audio-Models.txt.
    I strongly recommend to try similar model-id's matching your codec to checkout if your faulty function gets working.
    I'd guess 80% of the reported problems (group: other than alsamixer issues) over here are related to the model setting in alsa-base.

Howto:
    1. sudo gedit /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.conf

2. Look for:
    options snd-hda-intel index=-2
    3. Lookup your model in HD-Audio-Models.txt and change entry accordingly:
    options snd-hda-intel index=-2 model=XXXXX
    4. Save & Exit & Reboot

Please also have a look at these sides for further help:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=843012
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/SoundTroubleshooting

To avoid spaming the ALSA mailing list with problems, I strongly recommend to install the very latest driver snapshots taken from the source tree. There'll be a slight chance that issues might be resolved already.

Use the -s option of the upgrade script to get the latest driver snapshot installed.

(NOTE: The snapshot is neither an official driver release nor an official pre-release or release-candidate - however, it reflects an "approved" status by the Alsa main developers. Therefore you don't risk much to install it.)

Alsa provides alsa-info.sh. It is a shell script collecting all kind of data related to the audio environment. The Alsa designers will ask for the log in case we encounter rather severe problems. However before sending the stuff to Alsa the upgrade script should have been run with the -s function. The problem you're running into might be already resolved in the latest drivers snapshot.

Download alsa-info.tar first

$ tar xvvf alsa-info.tar
    $ sudo alsa-info.sh --no-upload

You can attach the log-file here or you send the output to the ALSA mailing list.
    This way you also actively contribute to ALSA quality improvements.

To make troubleshooting over here a bit more efficient, report:

1. Name your Ubuntu revision
    2. Kernel revision
    3. Alsa revision
    4. Upgrade script revision
    5. A bit of background what you've done resp. done before
    6. Attach the relevant logs

A bit of statistics since mid of October 2008: 30750 downloads

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Angry Re: ALSA Upgrade Script

Quote Originally Posted by alexmusbar View Post
    hi,
    i'm using BlankOn ombilin (it think this is same with ubuntu) in hp presario Cq42. everything is ok but only sound is not ok (there's no sound). i've already upgrade my alsa with 1.0.23 but still not working....please help me.
    I have a Compaq CQ42 here also. Yes sound is borked on Ubuntu but Wifi works without intervention. Opensuse 11.3 sound works flawlessly but Wifi is impossible to get working. I'm fed up with distro's not all working together to share knowledge & improve Linux.

Beans

Exclamation Re: ALSA Upgrade Script

Beware, that the script will overwrite your /usr/share/alsa/alsa.conf and it won't include your pulseaudio configuration anymore. Applications using ALSA (like chrome or flash plugin) will block your soundcard.

The solution is to include "/usr/share/alsa/pulse-alsa.conf" into the @hooks ... files section of /usr/share/alsa/alsa.conf, so that the section reads:

Code:
    @hooks [
            {
                    func load
                    files [
                            "/usr/share/alsa/pulse-alsa.conf"
                            "/etc/asound.conf"
                            "~/.asoundrc"
                    ]
                    errors false
            }
    ]

Beans

* alsa-driver-1.0.23 make failed
    Trying to install ALSA 1.0.23 - on Ubuntu 10.10 fails.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by thinktyler View Post
    Trying to install ALSA 1.0.23 - on Ubuntu 10.10 fails.
    log?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by cg0191 View Post
    I have to agree with you. As I see it all the Linux 'Distro's" are little fiefdoms of knowledge with each reinventing the wheel over & over.
    It's about bloody time basic functionality like this was sorted out.
    I'm tired of excuses & them concentrating on rearranging icons & eye candy nonsense .
    The funny part in this: there seems to be no distro out there, that in every respect 'just works'(TM), but almost all I tried can handle sound properly - except Ubuntu!

So, dito: before introducing new 'fancy' stuff like file sharing apps (which tend to weaken security) and polished looks, Ubuntu has to get fit in basic disciplines. I'm glad about reliable open source 2D-accelleration for my Ati card now, but it's amazing like ever since the Network Manager was introduced I always had to fall back to 'pppeoconf' to finally get a connection (luckily, now I have a router). Or like I had to go through the 'Comprehensive Sound Problem Solutions Guide' with every new release - now, even this won't work - so I'm left to running somebody's homegrown script in the end?

Sorry, no offense, but no!

Page 112 of 124 FirstFirst ... 1262102110111112113114122 ... LastLast