Thread: Gentoo Kernel

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Gentoo Kernel

I finally managed to get Gentoo to PARTIALLY boot!!

I am dual booting Ubuntu and Gentoo.

now I get dumped into a prompt to set the root directory, or to enter a shell. When I enter the shell I looked into the /dev and found only 1 drive, And that in my iPod. I don't know what kernel options to select to support my drive.

Here is lspci:
    00:00.0 Host bridge: VIA Technologies, Inc. CX700/VX700 Host Bridge (rev 10)
    00:00.1 Host bridge: VIA Technologies, Inc. CX700/VX700 Host Bridge
    00:00.2 Host bridge: VIA Technologies, Inc. CX700/VX700 Host Bridge
    00:00.3 Host bridge: VIA Technologies, Inc. CX700/VX700 Host Bridge
    00:00.4 Host bridge: VIA Technologies, Inc. CX700/VX700 Host Bridge
    00:00.7 Host bridge: VIA Technologies, Inc. CX700/VX700 Host Bridge
    00:01.0 PCI bridge: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT8237/VX700 PCI Bridge
    00:0f.0 IDE interface: VIA Technologies, Inc. VX800 Serial ATA and EIDE Controller
    00:10.0 USB Controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT82xxxxx UHCI USB 1.1 Controller (rev 90)
    00:10.1 USB Controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT82xxxxx UHCI USB 1.1 Controller (rev 90)
    00:10.2 USB Controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT82xxxxx UHCI USB 1.1 Controller (rev 90)
    00:10.4 USB Controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. USB 2.0 (rev 90)
    00:11.0 ISA bridge: VIA Technologies, Inc. CX700/VX700 PCI to ISA Bridge
    00:11.7 Host bridge: VIA Technologies, Inc. CX700/VX700 Internal Module Bus
    00:13.0 Host bridge: VIA Technologies, Inc. CX700/VX700 Host Bridge
    00:13.1 PCI bridge: VIA Technologies, Inc. CX700/VX700 PCI to PCI Bridge
    01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. CX700/VX700 [S3 UniChrome Pro] (rev 03)
    02:06.0 Ethernet controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT6105/VT6106S [Rhine-III] (rev 8b)
    80:01.0 Audio device: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT1708/A [Azalia HDAC] (VIA High Definition Audio Controller) (rev 10)
    If there's one thing worse than a program that doesn't work when it should, it's a program that does work when it shouldn't.

Bob Archer

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Re: Gentoo Kernel

My method to find out the modules you need tor your ATA chipset: boot a Live CD and start unloading modules until your hard drive is not detected anymore. The last one you unloaded is the one you need.

Useful commands:

lsmod lists the currently loaded modules
    modprobe modulename loads a module
    modprobe -r modulename unloads
    「明後日の夕方には帰ってるからね。」

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Now If I find that (haven't yet, but will), how do select that option in the kernel. To me the options in the kernel seem very different that the ones from the menuconfig.

Also how do I make sure that I am not removing ones that are required for other things? could I make the system crash by pulling modules.

Or could I just get a list of modules that were loaded by the udev on the live cd.

What if I need more that one module. Should I reload and skip that one in the list
    If there's one thing worse than a program that doesn't work when it should, it's a program that does work when it shouldn't.

Bob Archer

Beans

While you are in menuconfig, you'll have to read the documentation that accompanies each option. It will tell you what the option is for and the name of the module if you choose to build that option (driver) as a module.

Note that 'lspci' has useful options, for example:

Code:
    # lspci -vv
    Code:
    # lspci -k

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

I would need to compile all those into the kernel, right? But how do those relate to the kernel options?

So I just search for each of those?

Bob Archer

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

There is a key in menuconfig you can press to get a search box (I think it's /). Then type the module name, and it should bring you to the corresponding option.
    「明後日の夕方には帰ってるからね。」