Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Howto: Ralink RT2860 (m)PCI(e) (RT2760/RT2790/RT2860/RT2890) on Intrepid

Beans

Re: Howto: Ralink RT2860 (m)PCI(e) (RT2760/RT2790/RT2860/RT2890) on Intrepid

Hi!

I have followed this guide twice.
    Some time ago I installed Lucid and followd this guide.
    Everything worked perfectly! I could connect to my WPA2 secured SSID and got a link speed of ~270mbps.
    I could transfer files at ~9-11 MB/s from my Win7 desktop.

A week ago I reinstalled Lucid on the same computer but on a larger, newer, faster SATA drive.

I followed this guide once more but now my transfer speeds max out at ~2.5 MB/s
    Link speed is still at ~270mbps but signal drops to low when transferring files (only the "dot" and one "bar" in NM-applet).

I reconnected the old SATA drive and transfered some files and behold! The old install still reaches speeds up to 11-12 MB/s!
    Signal is max in nm-applet, sometimes drops to max -1 "bar".
    The average transfer speed is ~9.3 MB/s on the old install and in the new install ~2.5 MB/s, peak 4 MB/s

I can't figure out what could be the difference between theese two installs, could anyone please point me in the right direction or give some tips on how to troubleshoot this?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Viciou§ View Post
    A week ago I reinstalled Lucid on the same computer but on a larger, newer, faster SATA drive.
    (snip)
    I can't figure out what could be the difference between theese two installs, could anyone please point me in the right direction or give some tips on how to troubleshoot this?
    See above, THAT is the difference.

Try getting a stronger signal and see if it makes a difference.
    Maybe the new drive is spewing out more RF noise

Tom

Beans

The router is ~3m from the computer, concrete wall in between.
    The new drive was formerly a USB connected external drive which I have taken apart, since I didn't need 2 TB external storage and wasn't happy with 160GB internal
    (only have one SATA connector on MB)

Point is, this drive used to sit on top of the computer, connected through USB when i received higher throughput.
    Sure it could be that by removing the casing and putting it inside of the computer it produces more RF noise but it seems far fetched to me :/

I will test later to see if the signal and throughput improves when moving the disk further from the antennas.

Edit: Seems to be a problem with the motherboards PCI bus. Other MB and all is well.
    Last edited by Viciou§; March 3rd, 2011 at 08:01 PM.

Beans

Hi,

I've been trying to install since 10.10 and nothing seems to work!!!!!!!!!! In the beginning of this thread, there's a how to install but, the link the users gives, the company doesn't offer any more. I downloaded this: 2010_07_16_RT2860_Linux_STA_v2.4.0.0.tar.bz2. I also did a iwconfig and I get no wireless extension. I even tried to install it using wine from off the CD and nothing!!!!!!!!!!! I've been using Ubuntu since 8.10 and now I'm using 11.04. I still new to this Linux. Please!!!!!!!!! Could anybody offer a simple user some hel pon how to fix this issue? Any help would be great!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks,

LaJuan

Beans

I would like to thank ALL who posted this "How To"!!!!!!!!!! I love Ubuntu and thanks again for the support!!!!!!!!! My car is work at full and now I can remove the 15ft CAT6e running from my wireless router to my desktop!!!!!!!!! LOL
    You guys ROCK!!!!!!!!

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456