Thread: Changing Screen Resolution Through Terminal

Beans

Changing Screen Resolution Through Terminal

Hey all,

I'm very new to Ubuntu.

I'm running it on VMWare on a Macbook Pro and it defaults to show it in a standard screen view, not widescreen, leaving large black bars at either side of my screen during full-screen mode.

I found the screen resolution tool in the system menu, but unfortunately, I changed it by mistake to a resolution that does not allow me to view the window that opens fully. In fact, it cuts off the bottom, not allowing me to press "apply" to the correct resolution.

I cannot resize it, move it, or press tab+enter to get the right button (for some reason...tab to cancel works fine).

Is there a way to change resolution in terminal, or to restore the display defaults (either one) so that I can use it again. Right now, its almost unviewable.

Ben

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Re: Changing Screen Resolution Through Terminal

You'll probably have better luck asking this in the Virtualization forum. It's been a while since I used VMware, but they can probably tell you have to install the VMware Tools add-on in Ubuntu which will enable automatic resizeing (which will change your resolution to match the size of the VM window you have Ubuntu running in). Providing that there is such an add-on available for Linux (I'm not sure if there is... there probably is though).

Beans

Using the terminal to change the screen resolution real-time:

Code:
    sudo xrandr -s <x-res> x <y-res>
    Steady movement is more important than speed, much of the time. So long as there is a regular progression of Stimuli to get your mental hooks into, there is room for lateral movement. Once this begins, its rate is a matter of discretion.

Beans

problem solved itself with a restart I guess...it works now.

I will make my way over to the virtualization forum to see what they have to say...

Ben

Beans

Well I'm having big problems here as well. When I installed the - apparantly tested - nVidia drivers, the resolution went back to a horrible 640 x 480 or even smaller. You can't almost navigate at all.
    Just like the OP, I can't change the resolution and then select "Apply" or whatever it should say there. I see resolutions up to 1024 x 768 is supported, but when I try to do iaculallad's command in the terminal, this comes back:
    Code:
    bash: syntax error near unexpected token `1024'
    Or change 1024 for any number.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Necromancing - Thread Closed

Please do not post in threads more than one year old as many things change between ubuntu releases

Thanks!
    Don't waste your energy trying to change opinions ... Do your thing, and don't care if they like it.