Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Acer Aspire 5315

Beans

Re: plz help acer aspire 5315

Thank you! It seems I got the help for my exact same problem here. Flashing was a success and the fan is now clearly running.

I almost bought a new laptop for my kids, but now you've save me plain cash! Thanks again!

Beans

SOLVED Re: plz help acer aspire 5315

Originally Posted by Groszman View Post
    Here ist what worked for me:

you have to take care - using the worng bios can damage your computer to stop functioning at all. Propably according to the reports that told their computer stoped working with BIOS 1.45 the latest BIOS you get on http://support.acer-euro.com/drivers/ftp/ftp.html is 1.43 which also solves the fan/heat problem.

If you run a parallel windows system, you can download an .exe file which will flash your BIOS. If not, you need to create a FREE DOS iso image containing the BIOS driver. How to do that can be found here:
    http://www.tummy.com/journals/entrie...0080920_234755

If you're user of an acer aspire 5315, you can use the iso file, angel garcia created. it worked properly for me. Do the following:
    1. Download iso file from:
    http://dl.dropbox.com/u/221701/FDOS_v1_43.iso.tar.gz
    2. Burn it
    3. Reboot laptop and hit F2 directly in the first screen to enter BIOS. Make sure that your CD Drive ist the first boot drive. Save and Exit
    4. Choose: "1) Continue to boot FreeDOS from CD-ROM"
    5. Choose: "1) Install to harddisk using FreeDOS SETUP"
    6. Don't be afraid: Setup won't install Free Dos to harddrive. Instead you end up on prompt X: - change directory to firm (enter: "cd firm")
    7. start "if50.bat" by entering it. That'll flash your BIOS. Afterwards your fans should work properly.
    I have downloaded the FDOS iso from angel garcia, burned it to disk, and successfully flashed the BIOS on my acer 5315. The BIOS flash appeared to go well, and reported success when it had finished, and on reboot, I can enter the BIOS setup screen and it reports version 1.43 - so far, so good!

But when I try to boot from either hard drive, dvdrom, or a USB stick with an ubuntu install system on, the result is always the same - a black screen with the message:

BOOTMGR missing

Ctrl Alt Del to reboot.

I should add that prior to this the hard drive had been wiped clean, so no OS, ready for an ubuntu install.

I had tried to install Win95, to use the windows method of flashing the BIOS, but the Win95 installer had not been able to see the Hard Drive. In light of events, I would have suspected a
    hard drive fault, were it not for the fact that I can't boot from DVD or USB either.

Can anyone advise what the problem is? Do I need to set up something in the BIOS - I couldn't see any obvious settings that needed changing. Boot order was HD followed by DVD, as one would expect.

Help!

Thanks in anticipation
    Alan

I figured it out - due to overheating and laptop cutting out in mid install - I got it going again and got as far as deleting partitions to clean up after failed install - leaving the HD with no MBR - and the BIOS was hanging when it hit that problem with the hard drive, and not moving on to try the other boot devices. I simply moved the cdrom up in the boot order to first place, and ubuntu it is now installing from the install CD. Fan is reassuringly active!
    Alan
    Last edited by alpage2; February 5th, 2012 at 02:18 PM. Reason: problem solved

Beans

Thank you.

Beans

Sorry for reviving an old post but I am trying to correct this same issue with a friend's Acer Aspire 5315. I've got 13.04 installed for her but if the laptop doesnt get good air flow it'll overheat and shutdown. I assume that flashing the bios will fix this but Angel Garcia dropbox link (http://dl.dropbox.com/u/221701/FDOS_v1_43.iso.tar.gz) doesn't work anymore. Does anyone know if this can still be found anywhere?

I guess I could install windows again or run freedos myself but the only bios I can get is the 2008 v1.45 .exe on the Acer website which it sounds like doesn't work for most people. The laptop really isnt worth fixing if the motherboard get bricked, but then again she can't afford a new one right now.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by eljaywasi View Post
    Sorry for reviving an old post but I am trying to correct this same issue with a friend's Acer Aspire 5315. I've got 13.04 installed for her but if the laptop doesnt get good air flow it'll overheat and shutdown. I assume that flashing the bios will fix this but Angel Garcia dropbox link (http://dl.dropbox.com/u/221701/FDOS_v1_43.iso.tar.gz) doesn't work anymore. Does anyone know if this can still be found anywhere?

I guess I could install windows again or run freedos myself but the only bios I can get is the 2008 v1.45 .exe on the Acer website which it sounds like doesn't work for most people. The laptop really isnt worth fixing if the motherboard get bricked, but then again she can't afford a new one right now.
    Hi,

Rather than resurrecting a thread marked solved, you would be better off creating a new one.
    You can always include a link back to this thread if you wish.

Cheers and good luck -
    PopularPages: A very handy Documentation Search Tool used by many.
    PopularPages Wiki Thread
    My New Blog

Beans

I can't put my hands on the file previously offered by Angel Garcia, but due to the cack-handed way I went about it, I did not use it. I have the DOS and windows-based files for this version of the BIOS (v. 1.43), and all you should need in addition is FDOS, which you can get from www.fdos.org. If you would like to send me your email address by private message, I'll attach the files to my reply.

Alan
    Last edited by alpage2; June 20th, 2013 at 09:42 AM.

Beans

PM sent, thanks Alan!

Beans

Hi Lee

Did the 1.43 BIOS file work OK? Did you use it with windows or FDOS?

Alan

Beans

Hi Alan,

Thanks again for the files! I finally convinced my friend to accept the risk in trying to update the BIOS this evening but unfortunately ran into a road block: The CD-ROM drive no longer functions so I can't use a CD image and USB key is also a no-go since I can't seem to get it to boot FDOS from the USB no matter what boot order I select in the BIOS. So I guess we're stuck until perhaps we can locate a usb cdrom drive to try. Unless anyone has any suggestions?

PS: I also noticed that although Groszman's link is broken it appears Angel Garcia's dropbox link with the original ISO is still functioning:
    http://dl.dropbox.com/u/14099789/FDOS_v1_43.iso.tar.gz
    Maybe it will be useful for someone in the future!

Beans

Unhappy Re: plz help acer aspire 5315

Hello Lee

Thanks for the update - yes, it sounds like the only way forward is to buy or borrow an external CD/DVD drive - or maybe an empty external hard drive might work in a similar way?

If you can download Angel Garcia's file - that will probably be easier to use, since it combines everything you need - and if not, I have since discovered that I do have that file, on another machine.

Good Luck
    Alan

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast