Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Acer Aspire 5315

Beans

Re: plz help acer aspire 5315

I’m afraid. Depending on your motherboard and BIOS type, that indicates either a failure to initialise the Display Card, or a failure to complete the memory check. Have a look at your motherboard manual and follow the instructions to ‘reset CMOS’. sometimes i have removed the cmos battery, shorted between the cmos positive and negative contacts, with something metallic with the laptop unplugged and battery removed That may correct the problem if you’re lucky, but I’m very very doubtful it will.

If your motherboard has the BIOS chip inserted , into a socket you should contact the motherboard manufacturer and see if a replacement chip is available.which the acer's I have do not, If not, you are probably confronted with a ‘dead’ motherboard. I wish I could offer a happier message, but BIOS upgrades are always a risk.

If your computer is working smoothly, don’t do it. The main two reasons for performing a BIOS upgrade are

1. To enable support for a new processor that wasn’t available when the motherboard was manufactured..
    2. To correct a ‘known issue’ with the BIOS for your motherboard that causes your computer to function incorrectly.

Beans

Hi all,

I had some problems with the aspire 5315 too. Here is what worked for me:
    If you have overheating problems when returning from standby you need a bios upgrage.
    If after a bios update your OS doesn't start it's because it doesn't have SATA drivers and you need to reset HDD Sata Mode setting in BIOS from AHCI to IDE.

Anyone has problems with low battery life (10 minutes) ?

Valentin

Beans

Here ist what worked for me:

you have to take care - using the worng bios can damage your computer to stop functioning at all. Propably according to the reports that told their computer stoped working with BIOS 1.45 the latest BIOS you get on http://support.acer-euro.com/drivers/ftp/ftp.html is 1.43 which also solves the fan/heat problem.

If you run a parallel windows system, you can download an .exe file which will flash your BIOS. If not, you need to create a FREE DOS iso image containing the BIOS driver. How to do that can be found here:
    http://www.tummy.com/journals/entrie...0080920_234755

If you're user of an acer aspire 5315, you can use the iso file, angel garcia created. it worked properly for me. Do the following:
    1. Download iso file from:
    http://dl.dropbox.com/u/221701/FDOS_v1_43.iso.tar.gz
    2. Burn it
    3. Reboot laptop and hit F2 directly in the first screen to enter BIOS. Make sure that your CD Drive ist the first boot drive. Save and Exit
    4. Choose: "1) Continue to boot FreeDOS from CD-ROM"
    5. Choose: "1) Install to harddisk using FreeDOS SETUP"
    6. Don't be afraid: Setup won't install Free Dos to harddrive. Instead you end up on prompt X: - change directory to firm (enter: "cd firm")
    7. start "if50.bat" by entering it. That'll flash your BIOS. Afterwards your fans should work properly.

Beans

Why can't I just run the .exe file from Windows to flash my BIOS? I did that and had no problems. Just had to change the setting described above.

Beans

But how can I be sure which BIOS version is correct?
    On Acer page BIOS v 1.45 is listed on Vista drivers, but on 5315 I am using XP..so I wouldnt like flashing my BIOS,

Now I must use XP, because this overheating problems...

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

This worked for me.using win7/ubuntu 9.10.
    i burned the iso and followed the directions,and viola!
    BUT after flashing the bios,the fans ran in ubuntu,however
    when i booted into windows i got the blue screen of death!
    so i had to reinstall.but overall it was worth it.
    thanks
    Rick
    There is no such thing as failure.mistakes teach us how to become proficient!

Peace!
    registered linux user 507082 since 2006.

Beans

Flashing the BIOS worked for me as well. Thank you very much Groszman (and also Angel Garcia for making the ISO file).

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by majingohan99 View Post
    hi yesterday i installed ubuntu 8.10 dual boot with vista a bit more hectic than i thought but i got it done i shrunk down my d partition 50-50 so ubuntu has 16gb everything seemed ok i connected to internet then started downloading updates then poof everything went off even the AC light telling me it was plugged in i turned it on again & it acted like nothing even happened both ubuntu and vista were fine then again poof off again at totally random times
    vista is working perfectly (well not any worse) so cud u plz give me a clue into wot i shud do also the fan sounded dead so it might be overheating so a hand in tht also wud be helpful thnxs

description
    The Aspire 5315 combines the Intel Celeron mobile processor, Intel Graphics Media Accelerator (GMA) X3100, Intel High Definition Audio support, and Acer Arcade Deluxe1.

Quick Specs
    Intel Celeron (2 GHz), 1 GB DDR II SDRAM, 6.2 lbs, 15.4 in TFT active matrix, Microsoft Windows Vista Home Basic

majingohan99, listen what you are running into is a common bug on Acer laptops and also on some IBM, and Toshibas, if you google through you will see this is is the case. The handling is not yet worked out, it was assigned to Andy Woodcroft to handle and he has been working on it but it is not yet resolved, the problem is cause by the kernel. apparently there is something off on the handling of the fan and temp setting, the reason vista performs all right is that it does no have this problem with the NTOSKERNEL which is the windows kernel. I would not go playing with the BIOS unless the system manufacturer has issued a new version of the Bios to fix some issue with the system that you have. however make sure it is for your system and for your system alone, ie a bios update for an ACER 5720Z will not work with your system as it is not intended for it. and then again only if you actually are experiencing such an issue, again this bug you are experiencing is not releated to your laptop in specific or even your model of laptop so Bios update will not necesarily fix it.
    -
    Im sorry I can not give you the solution as its not yet worked out, I know it sucks, I have an Aspire 5790 and I am also experiencing the same issue, which has been around for more than a year now.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by thaikerman View Post
    majingohan99, listen what you are running into is a common bug on Acer laptops and also on some IBM, and Toshibas, if you google through you will see this is is the case. The handling is not yet worked out, it was assigned to Andy Woodcroft to handle and he has been working on it but it is not yet resolved, the problem is cause by the kernel. apparently there is something off on the handling of the fan and temp setting, the reason vista performs all right is that it does no have this problem with the NTOSKERNEL which is the windows kernel. I would not go playing with the BIOS unless the system manufacturer has issued a new version of the Bios to fix some issue with the system that you have. however make sure it is for your system and for your system alone, ie a bios update for an ACER 5720Z will not work with your system as it is not intended for it. and then again only if you actually are experiencing such an issue, again this bug you are experiencing is not releated to your laptop in specific or even your model of laptop so Bios update will not necesarily fix it.
    -
    Im sorry I can not give you the solution as its not yet worked out, I know it sucks, I have an Aspire 5790 and I am also experiencing the same issue, which has been around for more than a year now.
    heya... thanks for all your help...
    Now ubuntu supports all my laptops hardware and am now runnin triple boot of tiny xp / tiny7 and ubuntu 10.04 all serving their purposes....

but a few months ago... i set a bios password on my HDD as all my OS's at the time could be easily acessed... nd it was easier to have one master password.. the password was 10 characters long... then... for reasons i can't remember decided to update the bios... the flash was a success and all my hardware was working... it booted my laptop HDD.. then asked for my password.. i started typing.. pressed enter.. it didn't accept.. thought i did it wrong so tried again... after 5 attempts.. it gave me an error message and went off 0_o
    I booted up again.. and as i started to type in my password i realized tht after i reached 8 characters.. it stopped typing ¬_¬
    the new bios update (1.37 to 1.(i couldn't giv a *** wot it is, acer can suck my ****) ) wouldn't allow 10 characters.. or let me downgrade the bios to unlock it... i tried everything... first thing was clearing the cmos... even my local PC shop (GHI ( its run by retards who took 3 attempts at replacing psp lcd screen :/ ) gave up nd give me ( charged me ) a new HDD....

now i have a 80 gb locked HDD which won't boot on any other pc/laptop.. but mine... nd is locked....

any ideas... its been sitting in cupboard for a while now... ??
    xD

hope u enjoyed my rant... to summarise
    acer and GHI are ran by retards...
    tht is all
    xD

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Hurra! Flashing the BIOS worked for me too.
    Thanx a bunch Groszman & Angel Garcia!!!!

I have been struggling with this problem for years....
    Best Regards
    Pere Ubu

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast