Thread: Extract images from /var/mail/$USER

Beans

Extract images from /var/mail/$USER

Hey guys, I searched far and wide for a solution for this, but could not find one.
    I have an 800mb file in /var/mail that presumably contains all the mail that I have recieved/sent. Does anyone know how I would go about pulling all of the images that were attached to messages from this file?

Anyone have any ideas?
    Thanks,
    matt.

Beans

Re: Extract images from /var/mail/$USER

I understand that there is munpack, but I really don't know how to use it for more than one message at a time, or where i would start with iterating it over a ton of messages in one file.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Quote Originally Posted by abetterlie View Post
    I understand that there is munpack, but I really don't know how to use it for more than one message at a time, or where i would start with iterating it over a ton of messages in one file.
    /var/mail/$USER is probably an mbox-format mail folder.

Look for a program called git-mailsplit (git package?) I don't know if it exists as an Ubuntu package. With git-mailsplit you will be able to split am mbox-format mail folder into individual mail files, one per message. You will probably be able to use munpack on them.

Andrew

Beans

Thanks, I'll give it a shot and report back.

Quote Originally Posted by apmcd47 View Post
    /var/mail/$USER is probably an mbox-format mail folder.

Look for a program called git-mailsplit (git package?) I don't know if it exists as an Ubuntu package. With git-mailsplit you will be able to split am mbox-format mail folder into individual mail files, one per message. You will probably be able to use munpack on them.

Andrew