Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: externall HDD

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Thumbs down externall HDD

I have 30gb. of hard drive on my hp notebook, but its not enough for me so i will have windows use it, now i have bought an 80gb maxtor onetouch external hard rive, so im wondering if i can install ubuntu using the live CD in the external hard drive? is it possible that i can use it in other notebooks, and does the same settings apply if i have inserted my external hard drive on other notebooks, for example the desktop themes, will it be the same?
    Old Virgins Die Young!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: externall HDD

Quote Originally Posted by huwaw69 View Post
    im wondering if i can install ubuntu using the live CD in the external hard drive?
    Take a look at these :
    https://wiki.ubuntu.com/LiveUsbPendrivePersistent
    http://unetbootin.sourceforge.net/

It should certainly be possible, although not every pc can/will boot usb devices properly in my experience.

Beans
    Distro

So it means there is a possibilty that i can't install ubuntu on my hard drive?
    Old Virgins Die Young!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by albinootje View Post
    Take a look at these :
    https://wiki.ubuntu.com/LiveUsbPendrivePersistent
    http://unetbootin.sourceforge.net/

It should certainly be possible, although not every pc can/will boot usb devices properly in my experience.
    These methods create you a persistent "LiveUSB" which is slightly different from actual installed os. For example, you always have root/sudo privileges which can be a security risk.

It is perfectly possible to install an actual copy of Ubuntu on an external hard disk. I don't know how experienced you are at installing Ubuntu, but i'll just give you a general overview of what to do. If you need specific commands or instructions, let me know and i'll be more detailed.

--------------------------

Delete all partitions on ur HDD (of course, copy your files first).

Double click on the install short cut and follow the instructions. When the partition manager starts, select manual.

You will get a dialog box with all of the possible partitions you can install Ubuntu on (ur HDD has to be unmounted for this to show up). Create a partition of ext3 filetype (primary) for the linux filesystem (mount point is /). Create a swap partition. (Optional: Create a FAT32 partition. this way, you can still use the HDD for data storage in the extra space in both operating systems).

Press next, and follow the instructions. At the last page (step 7 of 7 if i remember correctly) click "Advanced" and make sure "install bootloader" is ticked and that you are installing it on your HDD (ie. "/dev/sdb" if "sdb" is ur HDD. pick the one without numbers, not "/dev/sdb1" or 2 or 3)

Press next, and wait for it to install. After install, shut down the computer, and interrupt start up when you turn it on. Boot off ur HDD, and you should see GRUB come up. Select ubuntu, and it should work! (If it doesn't you may need to tweak GRUB to boot off a different HDD number, it should be hdd0,0 or at least thats what mine says)

those are the steps I followed to install Ubuntu on my HDD. I am using the OS as I speak. The system is actually faster than my Vista even off an external USB, and it's exactly like booting from my inbult hard disk.

Good luck!

Beans

if your computer can boot from a usb device then you most likely wont have any problems. here is a guide i did a while ago

you can install ubuntu on an external hard drive that you can take from computer to computer. note, however, this is only possible if the computers you are planning to use are able to boot from a usb device. also note that this is going to wipe everything on the external drive so back up the stuff you want to keep!

step 1
    boot the ubuntu live cd and choose try ubuntu without installing

step 2
    when the desktop comes up, plug in your usb drive. an icon for the drive will appear on the desktop. IT IS VERY IMPORTANT to right click the drive icon and select UNMOUNT

step 3
    double click on the install icon on the desktop. set it up however you want until you get to the install step 4

step 4
    on the prepare disk space screen, select manual.

step 5
    this next part is very important. your disk layout will be different than mine so be careful. you want to select your external hard drive. in this picture my computers hard drive is labeled /dev/sda and you can see the different partitions it is split up into ie /dev/sda1. below all of that you can see /dev/sdb. that is my external hard drive and where we want to install ubuntu. double click the first partition, in my case it is /dev/sdb1 and see the next step below.

step 6
    a new dialog box will pop up. select a ext3 as a filesystem (you can choose a different one if you want but in most cases ext3 is the best bet.
    now for the mount point put in / then click ok and click next on the screen that pops up

step 7
    this step is important as well as it installs grub onto your external drive and not your hard drive. click on the advanced button that you can see in the picture

step 8
    this is where you choose to install grub to the external drive. you want to select your external drive. earlier when you chose where to install ubuntu to you installed it to the first partition of the drive which in my case was /dev/sdb1. now when we install grub we want to choose the drive itself not a partition. make sure that the install bootloader box is checked and on the dropdown menu choose the drive itself, in my case this will be /dev/sdb.

now click on ok and then install. ubuntu will install to the external drive. once this is done, to launch ubuntu off of the drive you will need to reboot the computer. whenever the bios is coming up there will be a key you have to hit (its different on different computers) in order to change the boot order. hit the key and then select to boot from usb. make sure that your external drive is plugged in and boot it. you should now be able to launch ubuntu.

Beans
    Distro

@akimatsu123
    So i should delete all the partition in my HDD? but how? i mean what HDD should i delete the partitions? the external or the built in HDD of my notebook, by the way my external HDD is formated as ntfs so i don't know if that means something, it just finished formatting right now, im still using my windows black...

@adult swim
    Wow thats on hell of an explanation, well thanks my friend. ill try your guide first before i put [SOLVED] in this case.. thanks a lot anyways
    Last edited by huwaw69; January 17th, 2009 at 06:34 PM.
    Old Virgins Die Young!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by akimatsu123 View Post
    These methods create you a persistent "LiveUSB" which is slightly different from actual installed os.
    You're right about this.
    For example, you always have root/sudo privileges which can be a security risk.
    After a normal installation you also have sudo/root privileges, perhaps you meant that the live CD doesn't ask for a password, because the default live CD user doesn't have a password, which is indeed not so handy for permanent usage. You're right about the latter.
    It is perfectly possible to install an actual copy of Ubuntu on an external hard disk.
    Indeed.
    It is very important to make sure that things go well with the Grub bootloader.
    I prefer to detach any device that is not needed during installation, and then let Grub write to the usb-device.

Beans

i dont think you want to delete the partitions on your internal hd, you should leave it alone. whenever you install ubuntu to your external drive, you can format it to ext3 in one of the steps.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by huwaw69 View Post
    So i should delete all the partition in my HDD? but how? i mean what HDD should i delete the partitions? the external or the built in HDD of my notebook, by the way my external HDD is formated as ntfs so i don't know if that means something, it just finished formatting right now, im still using my windows black...
    Do you have your data backed up to some other device or media ?

If so, then don't worry about formatting or deleting partitions, you will get the chance to do that during the Ubuntu installation.

You can make more than just one partition on your external disk.
    For the installation of Ubuntu a 10 Gb / partition is more than enough to start with imho, use the rest for data storage.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by albinootje View Post
    Do you have your data backed up to some other device or media ?

If so, then don't worry about formatting or deleting partitions, you will get the chance to do that during the Ubuntu installation.

You can make more than just one partition on your external disk.
    For the installation of Ubuntu a 10 Gb / partition is more than enough to start with imho, use the rest for data storage.
    hahaha ill allocate 50gb on ubuntu then the 20gb is for data storage...
    i have only one partition in the HDD of my laptop so i hope i won't have any problems deciding what HDD to use...
    Old Virgins Die Young!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast