Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Proxy & Synaptic Package manager

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Proxy & Synaptic Package manager

Howdy,

At work I need to use a proxy to access the internet, so I need to set the proxy server (System - Preferences - Network Proxy - Manual Proxy Config). I also manually set that proxy server in the Synaptic Package manager (Setting - Network).

Am at home now (on ADSL), and can search repositories but not download the packages. I have reset the network proxy and the proxy setting in Synaptic to Direct Internet Connection, however, any download (using Synaptic or apt-get from command line) fails because it can't resolve the proxy.

It seems to me that there is another proxy setting hiding somewhere - any help finding it would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Mal.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Re: Proxy & Synaptic Package manager

Quote Originally Posted by fatmal View Post
    Howdy,

At work I need to use a proxy to access the internet, so I need to set the proxy server (System - Preferences - Network Proxy - Manual Proxy Config). I also manually set that proxy server in the Synaptic Package manager (Setting - Network).

Am at home now (on ADSL), and can search repositories but not download the packages. I have reset the network proxy and the proxy setting in Synaptic to Direct Internet Connection, however, any download (using Synaptic or apt-get from command line) fails because it can't resolve the proxy.

It seems to me that there is another proxy setting hiding somewhere - any help finding it would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Mal.
    This is a bug in Synaptic. For some reason you cannot "unset" the use of a proxy. Changing it to "direct connection" is just ignored. The only thing you can do is change the proxy to something else. I turned on the proxy on my firewall at home so I can point it at that.

The bug has been reported but I haven't seen any action on it.

UPDATE: The bug appears to be fixed. Not sure when it happened but it all works now.
    Last edited by veloce; March 2nd, 2009 at 12:23 AM. Reason: Bug has been fixed.
    Veloce
    Ubuntu 9.04 64bit on Dell Vostro 1510, Core2 Duo T8100, Nvidia 8400M , Intel 1395 Wireless.
    OK: Wireless, kvm, Canon irc2880, Synergy.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

This might sound intriguing....
    I am using 8.10 on live-usb (persistent mode). I boot it on a computer sitting behind a proxy. So I set the proxy and Firefox is good to go. But Synaptic doesn't work. I check the network settings and it is all correct. Then just to try, I click on Direct Internet Connection in Synaptic --> Settings --> Preferences --> Network. And guess what, it started working. Try if something like this works on your computer.
    Infinite Diversity in Infinite Combinations

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I was having this issue myself. It was fixed by setting a proxy and unsetting it in Synaptic.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

SOLVED:

If you set the proxy for Synaptic Package Manager through the GUI, it sets the proxy in /etc/apt/apt.conf

After removing the proxy entry in this file manually, SPM worked without using a proxy server.

Hope this helps.

Beans
    Distro

I was having a similar issue at work with Ubuntu 8.10. It turns out when I set the proxy to work globally, it doesn't set the proxy settings for synaptic. Once I added in the proxy server info and port it all worked (albeit slow).

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by SteoanK View Post
    I was having a similar issue at work with Ubuntu 8.10. It turns out when I set the proxy to work globally, it doesn't set the proxy settings for synaptic. Once I added in the proxy server info and port it all worked (albeit slow).
    And now I'm having the issue that everyone else seems to be talking about. Once I get home from work I can't take the proxy settings out of SPM. It just still thinks it is even when I change them. Anyone fix this yet? I tried turning certain proxies on and this one off, and I have a black apt.conf file.

Beans
    Distro

And now I'm having the issue that everyone else seems to be talking about. Once I get home from work I can't take the proxy settings out of SPM. It just still thinks it is even when I change them. Anyone fix this yet? I tried turning certain proxies on and this one off, and I have a black apt.conf file.
    Funny, mine seems to be working now - in that I can turn off the proxy. I assumed it was fixed in a recent update.
    Veloce
    Ubuntu 9.04 64bit on Dell Vostro 1510, Core2 Duo T8100, Nvidia 8400M , Intel 1395 Wireless.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by veloce View Post
    Funny, mine seems to be working now - in that I can turn off the proxy. I assumed it was fixed in a recent update.
    I don't think it was fixed. It took some tinkering with turning on and off certain proxy settings but mine turned off for SPM. I think the trick is to turn synaptic's off before you turn off the network proxy system wide.

I guess I'll find out today when I get home from work (using the proxy!)

Beans
    Distro

I don't think it was fixed.
    Oh great, another timebomb waiting to catch me out when it can be the biggest problem!
    Veloce

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast