Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 24

Thread: Proxy & Synaptic Package manager

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Bangkok
    Beans
    1
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

    Proxy & Synaptic Package manager

    Howdy,

    At work I need to use a proxy to access the internet, so I need to set the proxy server (System - Preferences - Network Proxy - Manual Proxy Config). I also manually set that proxy server in the Synaptic Package manager (Setting - Network).

    Am at home now (on ADSL), and can search repositories but not download the packages. I have reset the network proxy and the proxy setting in Synaptic to Direct Internet Connection, however, any download (using Synaptic or apt-get from command line) fails because it can't resolve the proxy.

    It seems to me that there is another proxy setting hiding somewhere - any help finding it would be much appreciated.

    Thanks in advance!

    Mal.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    New Zealand
    Beans
    826
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

    Re: Proxy & Synaptic Package manager

    Quote Originally Posted by fatmal View Post
    Howdy,

    At work I need to use a proxy to access the internet, so I need to set the proxy server (System - Preferences - Network Proxy - Manual Proxy Config). I also manually set that proxy server in the Synaptic Package manager (Setting - Network).

    Am at home now (on ADSL), and can search repositories but not download the packages. I have reset the network proxy and the proxy setting in Synaptic to Direct Internet Connection, however, any download (using Synaptic or apt-get from command line) fails because it can't resolve the proxy.

    It seems to me that there is another proxy setting hiding somewhere - any help finding it would be much appreciated.

    Thanks in advance!

    Mal.
    This is a bug in Synaptic. For some reason you cannot "unset" the use of a proxy. Changing it to "direct connection" is just ignored. The only thing you can do is change the proxy to something else. I turned on the proxy on my firewall at home so I can point it at that.

    The bug has been reported but I haven't seen any action on it.

    UPDATE: The bug appears to be fixed. Not sure when it happened but it all works now.
    Last edited by veloce; March 2nd, 2009 at 12:23 AM. Reason: Bug has been fixed.
    Veloce
    Ubuntu 9.04 64bit on Dell Vostro 1510, Core2 Duo T8100, Nvidia 8400M , Intel 1395 Wireless.
    OK: Wireless, kvm, Canon irc2880, Synergy.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Mumbai
    Beans
    24
    Distro
    Kubuntu

    Re: Proxy & Synaptic Package manager

    This might sound intriguing....
    I am using 8.10 on live-usb (persistent mode). I boot it on a computer sitting behind a proxy. So I set the proxy and Firefox is good to go. But Synaptic doesn't work. I check the network settings and it is all correct. Then just to try, I click on Direct Internet Connection in Synaptic --> Settings --> Preferences --> Network. And guess what, it started working. Try if something like this works on your computer.
    Infinite Diversity in Infinite Combinations

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Beans
    124
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

    Re: Proxy & Synaptic Package manager

    I was having this issue myself. It was fixed by setting a proxy and unsetting it in Synaptic.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Texas, USA
    Beans
    2
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

    Re: Proxy & Synaptic Package manager

    SOLVED:

    If you set the proxy for Synaptic Package Manager through the GUI, it sets the proxy in /etc/apt/apt.conf

    After removing the proxy entry in this file manually, SPM worked without using a proxy server.

    Hope this helps.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Litchfield County
    Beans
    7
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

    Re: Proxy & Synaptic Package manager

    I was having a similar issue at work with Ubuntu 8.10. It turns out when I set the proxy to work globally, it doesn't set the proxy settings for synaptic. Once I added in the proxy server info and port it all worked (albeit slow).

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Litchfield County
    Beans
    7
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

    Re: Proxy & Synaptic Package manager

    Quote Originally Posted by SteoanK View Post
    I was having a similar issue at work with Ubuntu 8.10. It turns out when I set the proxy to work globally, it doesn't set the proxy settings for synaptic. Once I added in the proxy server info and port it all worked (albeit slow).
    And now I'm having the issue that everyone else seems to be talking about. Once I get home from work I can't take the proxy settings out of SPM. It just still thinks it is even when I change them. Anyone fix this yet? I tried turning certain proxies on and this one off, and I have a black apt.conf file.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    New Zealand
    Beans
    826
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

    Re: Proxy & Synaptic Package manager

    Quote Originally Posted by SteoanK View Post
    And now I'm having the issue that everyone else seems to be talking about. Once I get home from work I can't take the proxy settings out of SPM. It just still thinks it is even when I change them. Anyone fix this yet? I tried turning certain proxies on and this one off, and I have a black apt.conf file.
    Funny, mine seems to be working now - in that I can turn off the proxy. I assumed it was fixed in a recent update.
    Veloce
    Ubuntu 9.04 64bit on Dell Vostro 1510, Core2 Duo T8100, Nvidia 8400M , Intel 1395 Wireless.
    OK: Wireless, kvm, Canon irc2880, Synergy.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Litchfield County
    Beans
    7
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

    Re: Proxy & Synaptic Package manager

    Quote Originally Posted by veloce View Post
    Funny, mine seems to be working now - in that I can turn off the proxy. I assumed it was fixed in a recent update.
    I don't think it was fixed. It took some tinkering with turning on and off certain proxy settings but mine turned off for SPM. I think the trick is to turn synaptic's off before you turn off the network proxy system wide.

    I guess I'll find out today when I get home from work (using the proxy!)

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    New Zealand
    Beans
    826
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

    Re: Proxy & Synaptic Package manager

    Quote Originally Posted by SteoanK View Post
    I don't think it was fixed.
    Oh great, another timebomb waiting to catch me out when it can be the biggest problem!
    Veloce
    Ubuntu 9.04 64bit on Dell Vostro 1510, Core2 Duo T8100, Nvidia 8400M , Intel 1395 Wireless.
    OK: Wireless, kvm, Canon irc2880, Synergy.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •