Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Proxy & Synaptic Package manager

Beans

Re: Proxy & Synaptic Package manager

Quote Originally Posted by robert.d View Post
    I wanted to say that I have the same problem and successfully overcame it using andy_ryan's workaround. I'm repeating it here using the specific steps that worked for me.

1. Turn on the proxy in system settings: "System->Preferences->Network Proxy".
    DO NOT PRESS APPLY SYSTEM WIDE
    2. Click [Close]
    3. Go to Synaptic Package Manager and check "Manual proxy configuration": "Settings->Preferences->Network". (I also filled in the details with my work proxy server settings.)
    4. Click [Ok]
    5. Go back into Synaptic Package Manager and check "Direct connection to the internet"
    6. Click [Ok]
    7. Go back into System->Preferences->Network Proxy".
    8. Disable proxy in system settings. (I did not apply system wide.)
    9. Click [Close].

After going through these steps, I was then able to successfully install packages.
    It works..thx a lot

Beans

Red face Re: Proxy & Synaptic Package manager

Hi All,

I know this post is old and not many will read to the end, but for whatever it's worth,

it appears you need to REBOOT after clearing the proxy settings in Synaptics Package Manager and then in System Preferences->Network Proxy.

I thought that goes against the whole Linux philosophy - Reboot after clearing the proxy setting ?!?!?!

Beans

Hello Every one
    I installed ubuntu 10.04 on a computer in my university. I want to connect to internet. when I do that in win xp I use proxy 192.168.4.10:8080. also for connecting I enter an authentication username and password. But when I enter these setting in Synaptic Package Manager from Setting>Preference>Network it cannot connect to internet. It is intresting for me beacause I can connect to internet by firefox.
    plz help me freinds.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I am having the same problem here and I tried all the suggestions and none solved my problem.
    I can not change the proxy settings back to without proxy in synaptic and the whole program freezes when I press ok or apply.
    when I ran synaptic from cli I got this error:
    Code:
    me@ubuntu~$ sudo synaptic 

(synaptic:18681): Gtk-WARNING **: GtkSpinButton: setting an adjustment with non-zero page size is deprecated

(synaptic:18681): Gtk-WARNING **: GtkSpinButton: setting an adjustment with non-zero page size is deprecated

help help please

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123