Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Twinview, primary right screen and desktop icons

Beans

Re: Twinview, primary right screen and desktop icons

I am seeing this problem as well. (that computer is running Fedora, but I believe it's the same issue.)

lyall: unfortunately those tutorials aren't very helpful because the problem is that the orientation is correctly configured in xorg, and the gnome menubar and taskbar are correctly display in the first screen (the right screen), but the desktop icons are displayed in the second screen (the left screen).

A bug report has been filed but apparently it's being ignored:
    https://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=580366

Beans

Yes, this problem still exists on my Ubuntu 9.10 as well, but I've found something. I have a smaller primary screen with 1024x768 and a larger one with 1280*1024, and if I maximize firefox on the primary one, and i keep switching between maximize and normal size on the larger one (I use World of Warcraft with wine to do so), the screen "overloads", it goes black for a secound and then the icons can only be placed in the visible areas, however they can't be placed on the larger one in a row, where the deadspace is above the smaller one... At least I can see my icons now Sorry for the bad english, hopefully it's not too bad.

Beans

Long time reader, first time poster. Currently running Ubuntu 10.04 LST on a dell 1440 laptop, having the same issue. It's annoying but not really a critical bug. I'm tagging this thread in case a solution comes up eventually. Sorry for the bump.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Just to let u guys know I have had this problem since the time of edgy and feisty. U guys know your alphabet and can count...I am on lynx and yet no solution

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

After I set up my dual monitors the same thing happened to me, but launching nvidia-settings with sudo again, instantly puts everything where it should be.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by WinterRain View Post
    After I set up my dual monitors the same thing happened to me, but launching nvidia-settings with sudo again, instantly puts everything where it should be.
    Launching nvidia-settings and doing what? Just launching it doesn't seem to do anything for me.

I have desktop icons appearing halfway off the screen on my thinkpad T510 - I am using Twinview with an Nvidia 3100M. My laptop display is 1600x900, and my other screen is 1680x1050 - so that extra 80px makes the icons on the bottom of the screen appear halfway off of the screen.

Beans

I have been following this issue for a while now and as other have pointed out this is not a simple twinview configuration issue these are unfixed bugs that have been irritating multi-monitor users for at least 4 years now.

I thought I would see what bug reports have been filed and found there are two distinct issues that are at the core of the problem of missing icons and a third annoyance that is the OP icon placement on secondary monitor.

I hope this helps people vote/comment on the relevant bug.
    Last edited by Cas07; January 22nd, 2011 at 03:28 PM. Reason: strikethrough duplicate bugs and added the bug mentioned by lanrat

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by HappyFeet View Post
    Do
    Code:
    sudo nvidia-settings
    then go to X-server display configuration (on the left)

You will see representations of your monitors. Drag them around until they are like how you have them set. Click on the one you want as primary. Make sure twinview is selected. Then click "make this the primary display for the X screen". Then "apply" and then "save to x configuration file". quit and reboot.

"Drag them arounduntil they are like how you have them set."

Bolded part is what I was missing. Ubuntu 10.04 64 bit, and this is the first time I've had dual screens. I got into nvidia-settings by way of the GUI menu, as well as through the CLI. It never occured to me to DRAG the screens around. As soon as I had a bit of separation between the screens, my toolbar and my icons shifted themselves to the primary (left) screen, and the secondary screen became "extra" real estate in which I can park my windows.

If you're still around after all this time, Happy Feet, THANK YOU!!!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Runaway1956 View Post
    "Drag them arounduntil they are like how you have them set."

Bolded part is what I was missing. Ubuntu 10.04 64 bit, and this is the first time I've had dual screens. I got into nvidia-settings by way of the GUI menu, as well as through the CLI. It never occured to me to DRAG the screens around. As soon as I had a bit of separation between the screens, my toolbar and my icons shifted themselves to the primary (left) screen, and the secondary screen became "extra" real estate in which I can park my windows.

If you're still around after all this time, Happy Feet, THANK YOU!!!
    Just to clarify for any subsequent users, this isn't at all similar to the OP problem. I'm still having this issue in 11.04 and it's even more annoying since I've used Prism and DevilsPie to place a local web app as my secondary (left) monitor background. However since icons keep getting placed beneath the webapp, it's very troublesome.

Will look into the tickets Cas07 has brought up and see if I can bring a solution into the mix and report back.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

The OP problem could be related to the incomplete line
    Option "TwinViewXineramaInfoOrder" "string"

If both/all screens (wired ports CRT-1 DVI-0 etc) are listed this overrides the default order reported by driver..
    This new order is reported to the desktop display manager.
    The driver readme is very vague on the subject..

Panning domains is a soln to the invisible regions of meta-screen in twinview..
    You may want this false
    Option "PanAllDisplays" "boolean"

I believe the default screen order is related the device sections in xorg.conf..
    Last edited by BicyclerBoy; August 10th, 2011 at 09:51 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12