Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Docky and screen usage

Beans
    Hidden!

Docky and screen usage

I tried out docky and found that it restricted the screen size so that even if it was hidden I lost about 2" off the bottom of the screen. It was a black area.

I expected to be able to hide docky and use the full screen.

Could I have done anything to prevent the blanking of the base of the screen?

Beans

Re: Docky and screen usage

In case no one else responds: I know it has something to do with installing compiz, which you can find in the software center. Someone else should know more about it, but that might get you started.

psusi is offline Ubuntu addict and loving it
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

compiz is the default window manager; you don't need to install it.

I set my docky to intelihide and maximized windows use the full screen just fine.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Regardless of your Compiz installation (which, yes, is available by default on recent distros), you need to ensure that you have compositing available and activated. This may involve downloading and installing proprietary graphics drivers, as was the case for my GTX 260.
    :: Acer 3820T-6480 ::
    :: 13" LED display : 2.53Ghz Core i3 : 4GB DDR3 RAM : 60GB Vertex 2 SSD ::
    :: Linux Mint 11 : Liquorix Kernel ::

Beans
    Hidden!

I am unclear as to the direction of the answers because I use dual screens and until I installed docky, applications used the full space on both the screens.

With docky it was as if it was reserving a few inches at the bottom of the screen just for itself. Without docky the panels disappear below the edge of the monitor and the full screen is available. With docky, docky disappears but there is a band of black which is no longer used by the other applications.

Robin

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Robbyx View Post
    I am unclear as to the direction of the answers because I use dual screens and until I installed docky, applications used the full space on both the screens.

With docky it was as if it was reserving a few inches at the bottom of the screen just for itself. Without docky the panels disappear below the edge of the monitor and the full screen is available. With docky, docky disappears but there is a band of black which is no longer used by the other applications.

Robin
    like others have said, docky requires composting, so you would need normal effects enabled. else you can use xcompmgr or metacity compiz, but it's not as fast nor configurable as compiz.

just in case you don't know, right click the desktop-> change desktop background, then click the last tab.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by kerry_s; January 24th, 2011 at 04:44 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!

Thank you. I have it working properly. How do I adjust the compiz settings? Some of the effects I do not like.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Robbyx View Post
    Thank you. I have it working properly. How do I adjust the compiz settings? Some of the effects I do not like.
    if it's a docky effect you do it in docky setting(front anchor icon), for compiz you need to install "compizconfig-settings-manager".

docky doesn't have much settings as far as docks go.

docky = just plain old dock
    avant-window-navigator = a dock with more features
    cairo-dock = dock with more features then you could need

i use the awn ppa version.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans
    Hidden!

Thanks for that advice. I have just installed avant and am using it.

Robin

Beans
    Hidden!

I use aMSN. I tried adding it to AWN but the icon was not correct it was generic. I put into the awn task manager /usr/share/amsn/amsn.

I have a similar problem with PcMan not showing the correct icon in the gnome panel.

How can I ensure that the original icon for the app is shown in a panel or in awn?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast