Thread: How to Delay A Startup Service?

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

How to Delay A Startup Service?

Hey guys,

I have a random what-if? question that comes to mind. I know this is possible in Vista (and if it is in Vista, then it has to be in Ubuntu ), but how can I specify a service to startup "delayed" when I start up Ubuntu? I have an Ubuntu workstation that runs VMWare, MySQL, JungleDisk online backup, TimeVault, etc, and I don't necessarily need all of my applications and services to try to start at the same time. I just want to get connected to wireless first, and then I'll worry about my virtual machines and database server.

Any ideas? I think I have seen this before, but I can't seem to find the instructions on how to do this.

Thanks guys,
    Jonathan

Beans

Re: How to Delay A Startup Service?

I'd like to know too That will go towards speeding up boot time
    Domain and Hosting: http://www.biztoe.net
    Website Development: http://www.biztoe.com

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by bsalt View Post
    Hey guys,

I have a random what-if? question that comes to mind. I know this is possible in Vista (and if it is in Vista, then it has to be in Ubuntu ), but how can I specify a service to startup "delayed" when I start up Ubuntu? I have an Ubuntu workstation that runs VMWare, MySQL, JungleDisk online backup, TimeVault, etc, and I don't necessarily need all of my applications and services to try to start at the same time. I just want to get connected to wireless first, and then I'll worry about my virtual machines and database server.
    All system services are started in numerical order in /etc/rc2.d, if you want things to commence later then change the name so it has a higher number.

I also suggest reading this:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=565651
    Last edited by dcstar; February 8th, 2009 at 08:38 AM.
    Regards, David.
    Please use the Forum search and Wiki search for immediate help
    Please mark your thread as Solved when appropriate
    New to technical forums?: How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

Beans

You can use update-rc.d to change or remove system service links. You could remove the startup runlevels, but leave the shutdown ones with something like this:

Code:
    sudo update-rc.d -f vmware remove
    sudo update-rc.d vmware stop 20 0 6 .
    This way you can start the services manually or with a script as needed and still have the system shut them down. The man pages for update-rc.d has some more detailed examples.
    For those new to Ubuntu most of your answers can be found at help.ubuntu.com or ubuntuguide.org