Thread: Network Fluctuation

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Network Fluctuation

I've been using Ubuntu a couple months now, started with 8.04 and now have 8.10. Overall, I love it, no real complaints other than ATI's crappy drivers which can't really be helped by complaining to the community . Either way, one issue I've noticed is whenever I'm downloading a file, of reasonable size, say 20 MB, I notice a strange up/down fluctuation in download speed (from 60 KB/s at the very beginning to 335 KB/s to 115 KB/s and back and forth).

I was wondering if this fluctuation was normal, and if it's not, is there a way I can fix it? For reference, my wireless card model is Realtek 8187B. I followed the instructions for Ibex on this thread
    HTML Code:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=792092&highlight=download+speed
    but I don't think it's done anything. Any pointers?
    Sudo make me a sandwich!

Laptop:9.10 Karmic Koala 64-bit/Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit (Dual boot), Gateway T-1621, AMD Turion 64 X2 1.8 GHz, 4 GB Ram, ATI Radeon X1270

Beans

Re: Network Fluctuation

Sometimes your ISP can give you large transfer speeds at the beginning, which is designed so light users notice very zippy web browsing, but your problem sounds different than that.

Did this happen on the same hardware, on the same connection, on the same ISP, with a different operating system? I notice similar spikes in my wireless when one story above/below my wireless router but the connection is always usable, just differences in signal strengths.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Re: Network Fluctuation

When I was running Vista, I'm pretty sure the speed was normal (it's been a while, so I can't be sure) More recently, I was running 8.04 and after building a driver for my card (following an excellent walkthrough) I found that the speed was, again, normal with general fluctuations of 10-20 KB/s. All of this was on the same laptop. I believe this only became an issue when I installed 8.10 because it was the first instance that the fluctuation became annoying. Currently, my "youtube video" browsing/download speed (upon the opening of a video) jumps to about 175 KB/s, plummets to 45 KB/s, and then bounces between 100 and 40 KB/s. After about a min., it seems to stabalize and sticks between 90 and 60 KB/s.
    Sudo make me a sandwich!

Laptop:9.10 Karmic Koala 64-bit/Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit (Dual boot), Gateway T-1621, AMD Turion 64 X2 1.8 GHz, 4 GB Ram, ATI Radeon X1270