Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Port Gnome 3 to Qt

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Wink Port Gnome 3 to Qt

I am an avid Gnome user, and have done much cross-platform development using Gtk+ and the GtkmmC++ bindings; however, now that Qt 4.5 is going LGPL, is there a reason to not port GnomeLibs over to Qt for Gnome 3.0?

I am not suggesting the demise of Gnome. Gnome 3 was to break API/ABI compatibility with Gnome 2.x, so now would be a good time to discuss the feasibility of porting GnomeLibs to Qt for Gnome 3. The biggest barrier I see is Qt is based upon C++ and Gtk is C; however, this does not have to be an insurmountable problem. I'm curious to know what others think.

Beans

Re: Port Gnome 3 to Qt

This certainly gives food for thought in the current GTK3/Gnome3 discussion. Had a definitive roadmap for Gnome 3 already been stabilished, this idea would probably be rejected. But since they are still on the brainstorming phase, this might be considered...

Beans

hahahahaha, thats just to funny, you have no idea.

Beans

If after the 5 years it would take GNOME to port to Qt Nokia pushes out Qt 5.x, that would be interesting.

Anyway, it won't happen ever. Nokia has control of Qt, so they can do anything they want. GTK+ is controlled by GNOME, so they can decide where it goes.

Hopefully the level playing field will make GTK+ improve.
    A Fedora user

Beans

Get ready for the #$@$-storm.
    ASUS X202E - Intel Core i3 1.8 GHz, 4 GB RAM, 500 GB Seagate HDD

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by bruce89 View Post
    If after the 5 years it would take GNOME to port to Qt Nokia pushes out Qt 5.x, that would be interesting.

Anyway, it won't happen ever. Nokia has control of Qt, so they can do anything they want. GTK+ is controlled by GNOME, so they can decide where it goes.

Hopefully the level playing field will make GTK+ improve.
    GTK is not controlled by GNOME
    LMAO

GNOME says which which toolkit they want to use and use it, they dont "control" since it's GPL and anyone can use it as long as they abide by it's license.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I think I'm confused...

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by Half-Left View Post
    GTK is not controlled by GNOME
    LMAO

GNOME says which which toolkit they want to use and use it, they dont "control" since it's GPL and anyone can use it as long as they abide by it's license.
    GTK is developed by the GNOME Foundation, so yes they do control it. Sure, anyone can use it, but by no means can anyone say what goes in, and out, of GTK - only they can, since it is their project. Yes, anyone can create a fork of it and do with it what they will, though that is no longer the 'official' GTK that GNOME would use (unless of course the changes were merged back upstream to them).
    Last edited by v8YKxgHe; January 14th, 2009 at 08:30 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by AlexC_ View Post
    GTK is developed by the GNOME Foundation, so yes they do control it. Sure, anyone can use it, but by no means can anyone say what goes in, and out, of GTK - only they can, since it is their project. Yes, anyone can create a fork of it and do with it what they will, though that is no longer the 'official' GTK that GNOME would use (unless of course the changes were merged back upstream to them).
    It's just a toolkit in the end that anyone can use, I just found moving to Qt funny, hell freeze over they would port to Qt and dump their own toolkit.

Beans
    Hidden!

I dislike QT and everything it stands for. GTK all the way, baby.
    Want me to punchisize your face, For free??

Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast