Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112

Thread: Port Gnome 3 to Qt

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Port Gnome 3 to Qt

I'd say we need to keep both going.

I know QT has the better docs and it has a few more advanced features.

But I just plain like GTK, I like the way it looks.

QT is so Windows like at the moment, there's nothing wrong with that, but I just think GTK has it's own personality, it's own look.

I use QT apps in Gnome without any troubles.

Let's keep both around.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by techmarks View Post
    But I just plain like GTK, I like the way it looks.

QT is so Windows like at the moment, there's nothing wrong with that, but I just think GTK has it's own personality, it's own look.
    A UI toolkit doesn't have a look as such, that's completely down to the theme.

Also, I don't understand this lack of documentation thing, there's plenty for GTK+.

I'd like to remind people that it's Qt with a small 't' and GTK+ with a plus ('+').
    Last edited by bruce89; February 7th, 2009 at 01:10 PM.
    A Fedora user

Beans

funny thing is in the end we'll end up with two different toolkits (one being qt 4.5 and a revamped gtk) and, to top it off, someone will come up with the idea "hey what about a layer to make gtk and qt apps (ie gnome and kde apps) work nicely together"... yeah that makes sense (development efforts spread across two different toolkits plus some perverted freedesktop-like specs aimed at interoperability and the like) this is what the linux desktop has been like for 10 years after all hasn't it? "the oss community promotes standards!" sure but what about promoting only one at a time ^^?
    Last edited by garba; February 7th, 2009 at 12:33 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Quote Originally Posted by gururise View Post
    Apparently Mark Shuttleworth, the head financier of the Ubuntu Project, believes there is merit in porting Gnome to use Qt.

Its about time to standardize on one GUI toolkit so that we can compete against Windows and MacOS. Their would also be other advantages, in terms of memory usage, to converging the libs.

I do fully agree with this.. I think that for linux, having two main GUI toolkit is a big problem cause don't let the community have a "standard"... I mean.. take a look at the screenshots of windows standard apps of the last ten years.. ok they changed, but not that much*. The only apps that looked out of place were java apps with Swing Metal theme. On linux you can have fake QT styles on gnome or fake Gtk style on KDE but they looks crap, like when you set Gtk theme for java apps. Ok maybe not "crap" but there are too many glitches and also.. the file/save dialogs for java apps are not the standard of the operating system and this happens between gnome and kde too.. if you're running a gtk app on gnome you'll get the open/save dialog of gtk apps of course..

so.. if you think in terms of gnome "vs" kde thinking that your main desktop env. (let's say, kde) is which a user would consider the "standard" interface and the other (let's say gnome) is which the user would consider a "foreign" then you can ask yourself which was one of the biggest reasons that java isn't so popular. (don't believe? then think that ppl prefer to code in mono so that the app will have a native gtk look instead of using java [don't think that mono has better performance])

so that's why it is wrong (imho) to say:
    But the thing is there would not be choice.
    bye,
    Giovanni.

p.s.
    * = if you then look at the screenshots of linux desktops in the last ten years you'll see a big mess.. this was ok cause it was the sign of a fast evolution but now it is time for standardize or the user will always have the feeling that he is not using "a product" or "an environment" but a lot of things glued together..

p.p.s.
    also.. the fact that a new users that wants to start developing linux apps have to choose if to use QT or GTK for his apps is not a good thing.. one reason (but there are many) is that there is less documentation.. another one is that once he has made his choice he his on a rail that will make him feel like if he has "bet" his time on a toolkit and then have to fight to keep it alive (and this is maybe the main obstacle for the QT + GTK merge) so this makes cooperation more difficult between developers that has choosen different GUI Toolkits. And keep in mind: we are talking about something that should be -the same operating system- but it looks like two operating systems mixed together that uses the same kernel.
    Last edited by Virtual DarKness; February 1st, 2009 at 02:31 AM.
    Linux registered user #72162

Beans

Re: Universal Qt: Ubuntu means humanity

Quote Originally Posted by bruce89 View Post

GNOME 3.0 may bring JavaScript to the desktop.

could you ellaborate a little more? what is google and gnome via gtk+ v8 and javascript all conspiring to make the worlds most leanest meanest gui?

Beans

Re: Universal Qt: Ubuntu means humanity

Quote Originally Posted by garba View Post
    funny thing is in the end we'll end up with two different toolkits (one being qt 4.5 and a revamped gtk) and, to top it off, someone will come up with the idea "hey what about a layer to make gtk and qt apps (ie gnome and kde apps) work nicely together"... yeah that makes sense (development efforts spread across two different toolkits plus some perverted freedesktop-like specs aimed at interoperability and the like) this is what the linux desktop has been like for 10 years after all hasn't it? "the oss community promotes standards!" sure but what about promoting only one at a time ^^?
    funny thing is in the end we'll end up with two different distros and, to top it off [..] yeah that makes sense (development efforts spread across two different distros plus some perverted freedesktop-like specs aimed at interoperability and the like) this is what the linux desktop has been like for 10 years after all hasn't it? "the oss community promotes standards!" sure but what about promoting only one at a time ^^?

In other words, if you say there should be only one toolkit, then there should also be one distro, one DE, one text editor...

Quote Originally Posted by xirtus View Post
    could you ellaborate a little more?
    Certainly. gnome-shell is a prototype replacement of gnome-panel and Metacity. AFAIK most of the applets and extensions are written in JavaScript. The only snag is the fact (for now), they are using the Mozilla JS library.
    Last edited by bruce89; February 7th, 2009 at 01:12 PM.
    A Fedora user

Beans

Yikes! I'm no expert on programming but what would happen to gtk and all the apps wrote on top of it? pidgin, brasero, gimp, Google-chrome(Linux port) this seems a bit mad to me? would it not be more intelligent to implement any missing qt features in gtk! People who just newly released apps for gtk would feel that their software is outdated ..... I like Nokia's efforts with qt but this seems mad... again im just your average user.. correct me if I'm wrong.

Beans

so ...In conclusion.
    1. What are the main reasons gnome has not been ported to qt.
    2. What is the amount of effort that would bring us qt-gnome?
    (personally, I'm totally in favour of qt-gnome)

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112