Page 49 of 142 FirstFirst ... 3947484950515999 ... LastLast

Thread: HOW TO: Install a LinuxWacom Kernel Driver for Tablet PC's

Beans

Re: HOW TO: Install a LinuxWacom Kernel Driver for Tablet PC's

hello everyone, i am very new to linux and very new to forums i hope i an in the right place. WELL here is my question: how do i "install the screen rotation script in the screen rotation tutorial & how do i attach it to the buttons on the monitor. also i tried to install the wacomrotate download and i keep getting the error saying " Error: Dependency is not satisfiable: libxi6" COULD anyone tell me how to get around this. FYI i am on a tx2510us running hardy 8.04 i now have the stylus touch and eraser all working and they show up in the wacomcfg box when the tool pops up. i am BRAND new to this so please do think i would be offendend by the simplest of instructions. I am using the ATI propietary driver becasuse it looks so much better with that one, is their a way to use the other ubuntu video drive and make the screen look great. Just wondering.

Also, i was on jaunty and had a hard time getting the stylus and eraser to show up in wacomcfg. also if i have to edit any files could you please tell me the commands to get the pages to pop up. THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR ALL OF YOUR HELP AND HARD WORK.
    Last edited by galenwilcox; July 8th, 2009 at 06:45 AM. Reason: mispelled

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Hi galenwilcox,

Welcome to Ubuntu!

Nice job getting everything setup in Hardy with the xorg.conf.

What the error message means is that the library libxi6 isn't present (or is too old). That's what lib means: library. So you can search in Sytem>Administration>Synaptic Package Manager with "libxi6" and see if it is installed. If not install it.

Otherwise method 1 should work for you. In "Now with the preliminaries out of the way let's get down to rotating" step 1 means either right click on the Desktop and choose Create Document>Empty File or Applications>Accesories>Text Editor. Either way then name it ".name.sh", where name is what you want to call the script. Maybe "rotation" or whatever. And continue.

Since you are working on rotation you probably should post on the Rotation HOW TO: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=996830

I hope this helps.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Favux View Post
    Hi knipp21,

That's right. Except there will probably be a few kernel updates so you will get some practice. Of course you could decline any of the kernel and/or kernel header updates.

Hi Ganoes Paran,

The good news is your tablet is being recognized. In xinput it is being called:
    Code:
    "Wacom Intuos4 6x9"    id=6    [XExtensionPointer]
    So the wacom.ko and linuxwacom drivers may be functional. The name "Wacom Intuos4 6x9" indicates the new 10-wacom.fdi in post #176 is not correctly installed. It is what HAL is calling your stylus. Do you have wacom entries in your xorg.conf or a custom_wacom.fdi installed? You should have neither.

Why are you doing the xsetwacom and xinput commands in your unpacked 0.8.3-5 tar? Change directory back to Desktop (cd .). You do not need to keep the terminal you compiled in continously open. Once you've copied the wacom.ko in place you can close it. Open a fresh terminal if needed for xinput, or if you need to go back into the unpacked tar, etc.

Why are you apt-getting wacom-tools through your unpacked 0.8.3-5 tar? Where did I tell you to do that? I've asked you at least twice to checked that the default Jaunty 0.8.2-2 packages are installed through Synaptic Package Manager. You still haven't told me if they are installed or not. Again, all you want from the 0.8.3-5 compile is the wacom.ko.

Somehow you are failing to understand what I am asking you to do. You need to stop and reread the posts and follow the links and read them. I realize you are eager to have things working, but you need slow down until you understand what it is you need to do.

I'm hoping you haven't messed up your install too badly.
    Ok, let me tell you what I did....

I went to synaptic, uninstalled and reinstalled Jaunty 0.8.2-2. then i went into 0.8.3-5 to compile wacom.ko and i moved it to the correct location. I was following everything correctly so far, so no worries

I just remained in the 0.8.3-5 directory because, as far it is to my knowledge, xsetwacom and xinput would have no effect on the folder as I am running a differnt application that is not related to my folder. If i changed directory to desktop and runned those two commands, the same effect follows as when i did it in the folder.

"Why are you apt-getting wacom-tools through your unpacked 0.8.3-5 tar" It really doesn't matter where i'm apt-getting it because it's just downlaoding files, installs, then delees the files (hopefully) if it doesn't delete the files, I don't see how it would effect the folder and the like (though there might be an occurence of having the same names as another..) anyways, i opened a new termnial cd ~/Desktop and ran it there too, same thing.

so all in all, I follwed the instructions perfectly up to the point. and really, i did do it perfectly cause there was no "now change you directory to desktop and get out of the unpacked 0.8.3-5 folder" or something of the like...

anyways here's my xorg.conf:

Code:
    # xorg.conf (X.Org X Window System server configuration file)
    #
    # This file was generated by dexconf, the Debian X Configuration tool, using
    # values from the debconf database.
    #
    # Edit this file with caution, and see the xorg.conf manual page.
    # (Type "man xorg.conf" at the shell prompt.)
    #
    # This file is automatically updated on xserver-xorg package upgrades *only*
    # if it has not been modified since the last upgrade of the xserver-xorg
    # package.
    #
    # Note that some configuration settings that could be done previously
    # in this file, now are automatically configured by the server and settings
    # here are ignored.
    #
    # If you have edited this file but would like it to be automatically updated
    # again, run the following command:
    #   sudo dpkg-reconfigure -phigh xserver-xorg

Section "Monitor"
        Identifier    "Configured Monitor"
    EndSection

Section "Screen"
        Identifier    "Default Screen"
        Monitor        "Configured Monitor"
        Device        "Configured Video Device"
        DefaultDepth    24
    EndSection

Section "Module"
        Load    "glx"
    EndSection

Section "Device"
        Identifier    "Configured Video Device"
        Driver    "nvidia"
        Option    "NoLogo"    "True"
    EndSection
    and I do not think i have a custom .fdi file.

hope this helps out more =)

oh and for some reason the mouse (the actual mouse, not pen in mouse mode) works on the pad quite well. however the "z" feature of it doesn't really work butother then that it's working quite well. maybe that might help out?
    Last edited by Ganoes Paran; July 8th, 2009 at 05:26 PM.

Beans

[QUOTE=Favux;7579297]Hi knipp21,

That's right. Except there will probably be a few kernel updates so you will get some practice. Of course you could decline any of the kernel and/or kernel header updates.

i could, and i though about doing that, but i would reall like to install 9.10 as a 64 bit install, im only 32 bit right now and overall just like the other one more
    From freedom came elegance.

Beans
    Distro

Hi knipp21,

64 bit shouldn't be a problem. Hopefully you've kept notes and saved any relevant files. You've done it once so second time should be easier. Have fun!

Hi Ganoes Paran,

Hmmm... Confusion reigns!

xorg.conf looks fine.

My concern is that you have to have the same version for the linuxwacom drivers and wacom-tools otherwise things don't work, act bizarre, or can break X. If your system has remnants of a different version of linuxwacom still installed that can also mess things up. That's what I'm worried about. But you are sure things are cleaned up. Other than the 0.8.3-5 wacom.ko only the 0.8.2-2 xorg-xserver-input-wacom and wacom-tools from the Jaunty repository are installed.

So let's see if the 0.8.3-5 kernel driver (wacom.ko) is in place and active. Try:
    Code:
    dmesg | grep [Ww]acom
    and
    Code:
    lsmod
    and
    Code:
    modinfo -d wacom
    and see if "wacom" is there.

Also please attach to your next post the complete contents of your "10-wacom.fdi" in "/usr/share/hal/fdi/policy/20thirdparty/".
    Last edited by Favux; July 8th, 2009 at 08:11 PM.

Beans

[QUOTE=Favux;7583022]Hi knipp21,

64 bit shouldn't be a problem. Hopefully you've kept notes and saved any relevant files. You've done it once so second time should be easier. Have fun!

well with the first setup i did i used a mix of your how to and post 104 so notes dont really help me lol, but my 2nd will be easier cause i will try 104 first to get the one both of you said works for this computer, and as always, thanks to the wonderful community of ubuntu, i can always come back here for help
    From freedom came elegance.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Favux View Post
    Hi Ganoes Paran,

Hmmm... Confusion reigns!

xorg.conf looks fine.

My concern is that you have to have the same version for the linuxwacom drivers and wacom-tools otherwise things don't work, act bizarre, or can break X. If your system has remnants of a different version of linuxwacom still installed that can also mess things up. That's what I'm worried about. But you are sure things are cleaned up. Other than the 0.8.3-5 wacom.ko only the 0.8.2-2 xorg-xserver-input-wacom and wacom-tools from the Jaunty repository are installed.

So let's see if the 0.8.3-5 kernel driver (wacom.ko) is in place and active. Try:
    Code:
    dmesg | grep [Ww]acom
    and
    Code:
    lsmod
    and
    Code:
    modinfo -d wacom
    and see if "wacom" is there.

Also please attach to your next post the complete contents of your "10-wacom.fdi" in "/usr/share/hal/fdi/policy/20thirdparty/".
    yea, tel lme about it, i'm confused as well =(

dmesg | grep [Ww]acom:

Code:
    ganoes@ganoes-desktop:~$ dmesg | grep [Ww]acom

[   10.164003] input: Wacom Intuos4 6x9 as /devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:02.0/usb2/2-4/2-4:1.0/input/input7
    [   10.196165] usbcore: registered new interface driver wacom
    [   10.196374] wacom: v1.49-pc-1:USB Wacom Graphire and Wacom Intuos tablet driver

lsmod:

Code:
    ganoes@ganoes-desktop:~$ lsmod

Module                  Size  Used by
    aes_i586               15744  1 
    aes_generic            35880  1 aes_i586
    nls_iso8859_1          12032  1 
    nls_cp437              13696  1 
    vfat                   18816  1 
    fat                    58272  1 vfat
    binfmt_misc            16776  1 
    ppdev                  15620  0 
    bridge                 56340  0 
    stp                    10500  1 bridge
    bnep                   20224  2 
    vboxnetadp             90216  0 
    vboxnetflt             96904  0 
    vboxdrv               131880  1 vboxnetflt
    input_polldev          11912  0 
    video                  25360  0 
    output                 11008  1 video
    joydev                 18368  0 
    wacom                  28680  0 
    lp                     17156  0 
    parport                42220  2 ppdev,lp
    arc4                    9856  2 
    ecb                    10752  2 
    snd_hda_intel         434100  3 
    snd_pcm_oss            46336  0 
    snd_mixer_oss          22656  1 snd_pcm_oss
    snd_pcm                82948  2 snd_hda_intel,snd_pcm_oss
    snd_seq_dummy          10756  0 
    snd_seq_oss            37760  0 
    snd_seq_midi           14336  0 
    snd_rawmidi            29696  1 snd_seq_midi
    snd_seq_midi_event     15104  2 snd_seq_oss,snd_seq_midi
    snd_seq                56880  6 snd_seq_dummy,snd_seq_oss,snd_seq_midi,snd_seq_midi_event
    snd_timer              29704  2 snd_pcm,snd_seq
    snd_seq_device         14988  5 snd_seq_dummy,snd_seq_oss,snd_seq_midi,snd_rawmidi,snd_seq
    rt73usb                33412  0 
    nvidia               7233756  36 
    snd                    62628  15 snd_hda_intel,snd_pcm_oss,snd_mixer_oss,snd_pcm,snd_seq_oss,snd_rawmidi,snd_seq,snd_timer,snd_seq_device
    crc_itu_t              10112  1 rt73usb
    pcspkr                 10496  0 
    psmouse                61972  0 
    agpgart                42696  1 nvidia
    soundcore              15200  1 snd
    snd_page_alloc         16904  2 snd_hda_intel,snd_pcm
    i2c_nforce2            14980  0 
    rt2x00usb              18688  1 rt73usb
    rt2x00lib              37888  2 rt73usb,rt2x00usb
    led_class              12036  1 rt2x00lib
    hid_apple              14336  0 
    mac80211              217464  2 rt2x00usb,rt2x00lib
    usb_storage            99520  1 
    usbhid                 42336  0 
    cfg80211               38288  2 rt2x00lib,mac80211
    serio_raw              13316  0 
    ohci1394               38576  0 
    ieee1394               94660  1 ohci1394
    forcedeth              61712  0 
    fbcon                  46112  0 
    tileblit               10752  1 fbcon
    font                   16384  1 fbcon
    bitblit                13824  1 fbcon
    softcursor              9984  1 bitblit
    and modinfo -d wacom:

Code:
    ganoes@ganoes-desktop:~$ modinfo -d wacom

USB Wacom Graphire and Wacom Intuos tablet driver
    USB Wacom Graphire and Wacom Intuos tablet driver
    Hmm, on modinfo -d wacom, it shows two copies of my tablet. is it possible that those are making confusoin in the system? or is it that ones the pen and the other is the mouse?

and here's 10-wacom.fdi:

Code:
        <match key="info.capabilities" contains="serial">
          <match key="@info.parent:pnp.id" contains_outof="WACf001;WACf002;WACf003;WACf004;WACf005;WACf006;WACf007;WACf008;WACf009;WACf00a;WACf00b;WACf00c;FUJ02e5">
            <append key="info.capabilities" type="strlist">input</append>
            <merge key="input.x11_driver" type="string">wacom</merge>
            <merge key="input.x11_options.Type" type="string">stylus</merge>
            <merge key="input.x11_options.ForceDevice" type="string">ISDV4</merge>
            <merge key="input.device" type="copy_property">serial.device</merge>
            <append key="info.callouts.add" type="strlist">hal-setup-wacom</append>
            <append key="wacom.types" type="strlist">eraser</append>
            <match key="@info.parent:pnp.id" contains_outof="WACf008;WACf009">
              <!-- Serial tablets with touch capabilities -->
              <append key="wacom.types" type="strlist">touch</append>
            </match>
          </match>
        </match>
    hope this solves everything hopefully! thanks so much for your help so far Favux, I realyl appreciate it =)

Beans
    Distro

Hi Ganoes Paran,

You are welcome. I appreciate you hanging in there.

The wacom kernel driver is present.

We have found the problem!

The 10-wacom.fdi you posted is a truncated (incomplete) version of the default Jaunty 10-wacom.fdi. And what's there is for a serial tablet, not your usb Intuos4.

So go to post #176 and install the new modified 10-wacom.fdi for usb tablets: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=967147&page=18

My fingers are crossed.

Beans

ahh, thank you so much, it works now! I love you! (though not in a homosexual sort of way )

though wacomcpl still doesn't work...

ah well, remembering about what you said about 0.8.2-2 and synaptic, i went, uninstalled it, and reinstalled it nd it works now (though "pad" option doesn't work in wacomcpl, any reson why? or it isn't implemented yet?)

anyways, pens works in pen mode, mouse is alright (though i use a regular usb mouse) and all in all, it works great

thank you so much Favux for your time helping me out on this, I really appreciate it =)

Beans
    Distro

Hi Ganoes Paran,

Outstanding! Ta da!

Now go back and read post #473. Make sure you've set up wacomcpl as per Section 3 on the first page. And ceridwen's post #95 on the Intous4 thread should get your pad going.

Page 49 of 142 FirstFirst ... 3947484950515999 ... LastLast