Page 3 of 142 FirstFirst 123451353103 ... LastLast

Thread: HOW TO: Install a LinuxWacom Kernel Driver for Tablet PC's

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: HOW TO: Install a LinuxWacom Kernel Driver for Tablet PC's

Hi diego.souto

Your "xsetpointer -l" now looks exactly like mine.

Thank you for explaining why your xorg.conf looked the way it did. You were experimenting trying to find a solution.

TPCButton should be "on" by default for tablet pc not:
    Code:
    xsetwacom set stylus TPCButton "off"
    You shouldn't need to set it in xorg.conf, it should just be "on". Which is interesting. You could remove the comment on it in the stylus section in xorg.conf and/or change it in .xinitrc.

"Is it normal this errno=16 in XOrg.0.log? (see attached file)" I don't know about normal, but I have the exact same error.

It is not normal to see "touch" twice. It is almost as if you have another Xscript running adding extra erroneous stuff. Notice on the end of the .xinitrc I attached there was:
    Code:
    # run the primary system script
    . /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc
    It wasn't on the .xinitrc you sent me. Did you edit it out? It should be present in the .xinitrc you are using. Now go to "/etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc". Everything in it should be commented out. If you see:
    Code:
    # invoke global X session script
    . /etc/X11/Xsession
    comment it out like:
    Code:
    # invoke global X session script
    #. /etc/X11/Xsession
    Maybe Xsession is adding the erroneous stuff (/etc/X11/Xsession). Xsession should not be run.

Why don't you look into these issues. It seems clear we should concentrate on the double "touch".

Edit: Is there any chance that your wacom-tools version is not the same version as the wacom driver you installed?
    Last edited by Favux; February 8th, 2009 at 06:54 AM.

Beans

Talking Re: HOW TO: Install a LinuxWacom Kernel Driver for Tablet PC's

Hi Favux:

THANK YOU SO MUCH!!! It's resolved!

Thanks for your time, your kindness and your patience with me.

Let me tell you the story:
    * First i tried to see what was happening in chained scripts from ~/.xinitrc --> /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc --> /etc/X11/Xsession --> /etc/X11/Xsession.d/* in order to know if some line there could be adding the second "touch" device or something like that. All seems normal.
    * Then tried to simply comment this scripts as you suggested me, restarted --> Same behaviour!
    * Then I was intrigated about your last question about versions of wacomcpl... and considering i was desperated at all... I've decided to uninstall all wacom, make sure all wacom packages uninstalled, make sure kernel module unloaded and then erased,... and start again all the whole tutorial. And... voilá! "stylus" worked... I could run wacomcpl (now there's only one "touch" device), calibration, etc. All ok.

the only thing is not working now is the middle button... but I don't mind... it was the only thing was working before (it seems a joke)... but i guess maybe some kind of missconfiguration on .xinitr or xorg.conf. Don't worry now.

So... what was bad before? I don't really know... maybe not really purged ubuntu wacom packages (I would swear I had done it, but...)

Thanks a lot again for your help. I was frustrated and near to leave it all. Greetings

diego

Beans
    Distro

Hi diego.souto,

Excellent! Nice work! It has been a pleasure to help you.

I was frustrated and near to leave it all.
    I'm glad you hung in there.

Beans

Great tutorial!

I was able to get the stylus/touch working on my TX2000 running intrepid, however there is one issue with the stylus - I'm not sure if this is how it's supposed to be.

I have all the eraser sections in xorg.conf and the eraser is detected on the stylus - However in programs like xournal, I can't bind the eraser function to the eraser button. It will behave like the pen indefinitely. Only two inputs come up with dmesg | grep Wacom, so it looks like all stylus functions are part of the same input...what am I doing wrong?

Beans
    Distro

Hi GrooveTherapy,

Thankyou, glad things are working.

I basically answered you on the Rotation thread. In Xournal the side-switch is the eraser. I think of the eraser as basically another button of the stylus. A button only a few programs (so far) can detect.

Beans

Hey all

So this might be old news, but if not, it's an exciting development for xournal note takers. Here's the relevant sections of my xorg.conf:

Code:
    Section "InputDevice" 
          Identifier        "stylus" 
          Driver            "wacom" 
          Option "Device" "/dev/input/by-path/pci-0000:00:0b.1-usb-0:2.3:1.0-event-mouse" 
          Option            "Type"           "stylus"
          Option            "USB"            "on" 
          Option            "Button2"        "2"  # make side-switch a middle-click button 
    	Option		"TopX"		"218"
    	Option		"TopY"		"198"
    	Option		"BottomX"	"26271"
    	Option		"BottomY"	"16520"
    EndSection 

Section "InputDevice" 
          Identifier        "eraser" 
          Driver            "wacom" 
          Option "Device" "/dev/input/by-path/pci-0000:00:0b.1-usb-0:2.3:1.0-event-mouse" 
          Option            "Type"           "eraser"
          Option            "USB"            "on" 
          Option            "Button1"        "3"  # make eraser a right-click 
    EndSection
    Add the
    Code:
          Option            "Button2"        "2"  # make side-switch a middle-click button
    and
    Code:
          Option            "Button1"        "3"  # make side-switch a right-click button
    In the stylus and eraser sections of your xorg, respectively. Restart X with ctrl alt backspace, and you should now be able to set button 2 and 3 settings in xournal - Button 2 is your pen button and button 3 is the eraser!

It is also worthy to note that the pen button no longer serves as a right click - the eraser does however. If you want to reverse this, simply use these lines instead:

In the stylus section:
    Code:
          Option            "Button2"        "3"  # make side-switch a right-click button
    In the eraser section:
    Code:
          Option            "Button1"        "2"  # make side-switch a middle-click button
    This works for me, so hopefully it works for all of you as well!

EDIT: Cleaned up the code tags, thanks Favux for catching all those errors. I will try gimp later tonight and see what I've broken by doing this
    Last edited by GrooveTherapy; February 25th, 2009 at 12:11 AM.

Beans
    Distro

Hi GrooveTherapy,

Ingenious! You got your eraser in Xournal.

I do have one small quibble though. Since "Button1" is usually considered the stylus tip then by putting:
    Code:
    Option            "Button1"        "3"  # make side-switch a right
    in the "eraser" section wouldn't you want the label to read:
    Code:
    Option            "Button1"        "3"  # make eraser a right button
    I realize you're mainly concerned with note taking in Xournal, but have you had a chance to see how this configuration works in Gimp or one of the other programs that "recognizes" eraser?

PS: And at the bottom when you reverse things you forgot to change the labels. That might confuse folks.
    Last edited by Favux; February 24th, 2009 at 07:14 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I thought I had discovered something, but I see I Groove beat me to it. I was able to get the eraser working in xournal by using wacomcpl to map the eraser to the middle mouse button (which is button three). So, same thing, just with wacomcpl.

Xournal recognizes it as button 3, and by default button 3 is mapped to the eraser (it can be changed in teh options menu of xournal).

Inkscape has an "input devices" option in the file menu, and allows you to specify keys for the eraser (I think? I don't know how it work). So it might be possible to map it to mouse 3.... I don't know enough about how that works.

The gimp also has a keyboard shortcuts menu, but I don't know if that would allow mapping to a mouse button, or even how that would work.

Alternatively, you could try using wacomcpl to map a key to the eraser.

I havent really tried that stuff, since I dont know much about inkscape or The Gimp and really just use Xournal and take notes. It might be worth messing around with for somebody who knows more about how keybindings, etc works though.

Beans
    Distro

Hi cak3,

Right. I think you could get the same result by putting in the stylus section:
    Code:
    Option            "Button3"        "3"  # make eraser a right button
    But I'm not 100% sure. Someone would have to test it. You'd still have to make "Button2" "2" above it I think. And not put a line in the eraser section. As I understand it default is "Button1" "1" # make stylus tip a left "mouse" button.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Post Re: HOW TO: Install a LinuxWacom Kernel Driver for Tablet PC's

Well, in wacomcpl, assigning "middle mouse" the the button (in the eraser menu, not as one of the stylus buttons) assigns button1 of the eraser to button 2 (the middle mouse)

from my .xinitrc:

Code:
    xsetwacom set eraser Button1 "Button 2"
    From what I could tell, that overrides any assignment of the stylus's button 3 (the eraser, or at least not the tip or sidebutton).

Since my .xinitrc doesn't get applied at startup for some reason, I had to modify my xorg.conf to test this. I found that, without anything in the eraser section, but assigning the middle click to the stylus's button three, like this:
    Code:
    Section "InputDevice"
    	Identifier	"stylus"
    	Driver		"wacom"
    	Option 		"Device" "/dev/input/by-path/pci-0000:00:14.5-usb-0:2:1.0-event-mouse"
    	Option		"Type"		"stylus"
    	Option		"USB"		"on"
    	Option		"Button2"	"3"  # make side-switch a right button
            Option          "Button3"       "2"  # attempt to assign middle click to eraser
    	Option		"TopX"		"96"	 #old: "225"
    	Option		"TopY"		"17" 	 #old: "225"
    	Option		"BottomX"	"26273"  #old: "26300"
    	Option		"BottomY"	"16353"  #old: "16375"
    EndSection
    Did not work (the eraser was still seen as button1).

However, removing the line making that assignment and adding the line
    Code:
    Option		"Button1"	"2" #make eraser a middle click
    to the eraser section works perfectly.

Page 3 of 142 FirstFirst 123451353103 ... LastLast