Thread: HOWTO setting up ubuntu 8.10 intrepid on the HP tx2z tablet pc

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

Re: HOWTO setting up ubuntu 8.10 intrepid on the HP tx2z tablet pc

I tried out the udev changes and found that the following works:
    Code:
    # Link N-trig USB tablet to "/dev/input/ntrig"
    KERNEL=="event*", ATTRS{idVendor}=="1b96", ATTRS{idProduct}=="0001", SYMLINK="input/ntrig"
    I also made the changes in /etc/X11/xorg.conf for the stylus and touch to use:
    Code:
    	Option		"Device"	"/dev/input/ntrig"
    I tried to use the ntrig-touch but when I did, the driver could not initialize the device.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Thank you Ayuthia!

Well I think the linuxwacom drivers are looking for 'wacom-touch'. I originally tried just 'touch' until I realized they wanted 'wacom-touch' in xorg.conf.

So no change in functionality with the symlink? In other words both stylus and touch work as before. Good deal. So at a minimum we can get around the by-path and firmware problems. Hopefully.

I would kinda like to see what using 'wacom' does, if anything. And of course 'wacom-touch' if anyone wants to try it.

And then maybe trying in the .fdi something like:
    Code:
    <merge key="input.x11_options.Device" type="string">/dev/input/wacom</merge>
    for the stylus section and for the touch section:
    Code:
    <merge key="input.x11_options.Device" type="string">/dev/input/wacom-touch</merge>
    Just a thought. I know I'm getting ahead of things.
    Last edited by Favux; August 25th, 2009 at 11:26 PM.

Beans
    Distro

I'll try those in a little bit. I think the difficulty is going to be those that have the Vista firmware in use. There is not too much that distinguishes the two different events (except that one is producing data and the other is not).

I was able to get some udev info for the N-Trig device by using udevadm:
    Code:
    sudo udevadm info --path=/sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:14.5/usb7/7-2/7-2:1.1/input/input9/event9 --query=all
    I grabbed the path by using the linux-sysfs-path from lshal. Here were my results:
    Code:
    P: /devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:14.5/usb7/7-2/7-2:1.1/input/input9/event9
    N: input/event9
    S: input/ntrig
    E: UDEV_LOG=3
    E: DEVPATH=/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:14.5/usb7/7-2/7-2:1.1/input/input9/event9
    E: MAJOR=13
    E: MINOR=73
    E: DEVNAME=/dev/input/event9
    E: ID_VENDOR=1b96
    E: ID_VENDOR_ENC=1b96
    E: ID_VENDOR_ID=1b96
    E: ID_MODEL=0001
    E: ID_MODEL_ENC=0001
    E: ID_MODEL_ID=0001
    E: ID_REVISION=0000
    E: ID_SERIAL=1b96_0001
    E: ID_TYPE=hid
    E: ID_BUS=usb
    E: ID_USB_INTERFACES=:030102:000000:
    E: ID_USB_INTERFACE_NUM=01
    E: ID_USB_DRIVER=usbhid
    E: ID_CLASS=mouse
    E: ID_PATH=pci-0000:00:14.5-usb-0:2:1.1
    E: DEVLINKS=/dev/input/ntrig
    Based on that information above, the following:
    Code:
    # Port specific link for users of multiple tablets of the same type.
    # The ID_PATH variable is set by the "path_id" script in an earlier rule file.
    ATTRS{idVendor}=="056a", ENV{ID_PATH}=="?*", SYMLINK="input/by-path/$env{ID_PATH}-wacom"
    appears to take all the the wacom tablets and creates symlinks that include their ID-PATH as a prefix before -wacom. So my device would look like:
    Code:
    /dev/input/by-path/pci-0000:00:14.5-usb-0:2:1.1-wacom
    At least that is my guess on it. However I do have to say that the ID_PATH for my device is quite long. Hopefully the wacom tablets are smaller in length.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Favux View Post
    I would kinda like to see what using 'wacom does', if anything. And of course 'wacom-touch' if anyone wants to try it.
    Here are the results by changing them to wacom/wacom-touch and using xorg.conf:
    Code:
    (II) XINPUT: Adding extended input device "touch" (type: Wacom Touch)
    BEGIN xf86WcmProc dev=0x2c77a50 priv=0x2c6bfd0 type=eraser(touch) flags=16642 fd=-1 what=INIT
    xf86WcmDevOpen
    opening /dev/input/wacom-touch
    (**) Option "Device" "/dev/input/wacom-touch"
    usbDetect
    touch Wacom X driver can't grab event device, errno=16
    initializing USB tablet
    (**) /dev/input/wacom-touch: Touch is enabled
    WACOM: touch max value(s) was wrong MaxTouchY = 0 MaxTouchY = 0.
    Failed to open device (fd=-1)
    xf86WcmProc INIT FAILED
    (EE) Couldn't init device "touch"
    xf86WcmUninit
    (II) UnloadModule: "wacom"
    Most likely the .fdi will produce the same results. I can try them if you still would like to know.

Beans
    Distro

Thanks Ayuthia,

Stymied!

So maybe 'wacom' and 'wacom-touch' are invoking wacom.ko also? Which is why 'n-trig', invoking n-trig.ko, works? I'll have to look at your stuff above some more. I wonder what would happen if you removed wacom.ko?

It probably won't work trying to sneak the n-trig symlinks into the udev wacom.rules. The manual says:
    This is to demonstrate that while it is legal to combine the attributes from the device in question and a single parent device, you cannot mix-and-match attributes from multiple parent devices - your rule will not work.
    But it also says you can:
    Rename a device node from the default name to something else
    Now to the heart of it. Could n-trig.ko be renamed wacom.ko by a symlink? Probably not. Would linuxwacom/HAL then interact with it correctly? Probably not. Or would it just sever communication from the digitizer. Probably.

If you want to, for fun, you could try the .fdi lines. It should tell us something.

Edit: Oh, and you changed the symlink from SYMLINK="input/ntrig" to SYMLINK="input/wacom", correct? And for the wacom-touch Option in xorg.conf to have a chance of working there'd have to be a second symlink ending in wacom-touch, of course.
    Last edited by Favux; August 25th, 2009 at 10:33 PM.

Beans
    Distro

Thanks Ayuthia,

Stymied!

So maybe 'wacom' and 'wacom-touch' are invoking wacom.ko also? Which is why 'n-trig', invoking n-trig.ko, works? I'll have to look at your stuff above some more. I wonder what would happen if you removed wacom.ko?

It probably won't work trying to sneak the n-trig symlinks into the udev wacom.rules. The manual says:

But it also says you can:

Now to the heart of it. Could n-trig.ko be renamed wacom.ko by a symlink? Probably not. Would linuxwacom/HAL then interact with it correctly? Probably not. Or would it just sever communication from the digitizer. Probably.

If you want to, for fun, you could try the .fdi lines. It should tell us something.
    I have a customized version of linuxwacom where I have removed the wacom.ko file out and the wacom driver for xorg still works for the N-Trig device.

As for sneaking in the n-trig symlinks to the wacom file, I don't think that it really matters (at least for the n-trig devices). It is just a symlink to the event file. From what I can tell, it looks like the touch device is tied into the stylus somewhere in the wacom code because the touch cannot be started without having the stylus initializing it. Whenever the touch is using a different event than the stylus, it keeps failing during the initialization stage.

Beans
    Distro

Hi Ayuthia,

From what I can tell, it looks like the touch device is tied into the stylus somewhere in the wacom code because the touch cannot be started without having the stylus initializing it. Whenever the touch is using a different event than the stylus, it keeps failing during the initialization stage.
    Thank you again. Enlightening as usual.

Beans
    Distro

The .fdi lines still do not work (with the wacom and wacom-touch changes). With the Windows 7 firmware, it uses the same udi (if1) so whatever is the last entry in the .fdi file is the one that it uses. So I tried it first with the stylus first and Xorg.0.log fails for the touch and there is no entry for the stylus. When I tried it with the touch first, Xorg.0.log ignored the touch but the stylus works.

Edit: Oh, and you changed the symlink from SYMLINK="input/ntrig" to SYMLINK="input/wacom", correct? And for the wacom-touch Option in xorg.conf to have a chance of working there'd have to be a second symlink ending in wacom-touch, of course.
    I did change the symlink to "input/wacom" and "input/wacom-touch". The links for both of them showed up in /dev/input/.

Beans
    Distro

Hi Ayuthia,

Not surprising from what you said earlier.

Well at least we now have a symlink for n-trig like the wacom folks have.

Beans

Sorry I am quickly skipping all the conversation will read it tomorrow I guess...

I just wanted to point out several things:

Our digitizer supports at least 5 (probably 10 and possibly even more) fingers. Back when Dell was showing off the XT(1) and telling everyone about how the digitizer actually supported multi-touch and they just had to add OS/software support to it they showed a demo app to prove it which basically only showed what the digitizer was sensing (ie. a bunch of dots on a grid). I distinctly remember at least one and possibly two whole hands being demonstrated.
    It is the synaptic multi-touch digitizers for cellphones that were limited to two fingers until recently.

As far as the eraser is concerned, to the best of my knowledge the XT1 also has one, there is a section in the FAQ of n-trig about "why does my device lack an eraser" in which they explain that that is purely due to what the OEM (hp) ordered.

Edit:
    Found a youtube video, this is one of the first demos of the latitude XT, at 1:30 they show 5 fingers concurrently, tehy don't go beyond that in the movie...:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=00mKTEqnzbs
    Last edited by Keeper of the Keys; August 26th, 2009 at 12:47 AM. Reason: added link to video mentioned earlier

Page 27 of 33 FirstFirst ... 172526272829 ... LastLast