Thread: Apache (un)installation badly corrupted by apt-get

Beans

Apache (un)installation badly corrupted by apt-get

My Apache2 installation wasn't honoring the APACHE_RUN_* environment variables and therefore not treating directories or PHP pages as they should be, so I fiddled around with apt-get and tasksel for a while, shoving the apache2 package and the lamp-server task back and forth. After the first uninstallation, Apache stopped working altogether; I should have just tried hard-coding the variables in the first place, except then I might have gotten a bigger surprise later.

Anyhow, when my shoving was accomplishing nothing except the re-creation of four empty directories and one empty file (httpd.conf) in /etc/apache2, I decided to restart my system to get more diagnostic info for this thread. When I booted back up, the shell complained about problems with kinit; the command by that name isn't installed, so I'm clueless. But those problems crippled Gnome, and I took a crash-course in WeeChat and lynx (which was only useful for reading about WeeChat because it couldn't hold cookies or login).

I finally got someone on the Ubuntu IRC channel to state the obvious (and flattened my forehead a bit more): that I should reinstall the core Gnome components. I already had gnome-core, so I just installed gnome for good measure. One of those dependencies must have been the right one; when I rebooted, I was greeted by the GUI again.

I uninstalled all the packages listed at https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Ap...&redirect=LAMP and then installed the lamp-server task again. Now I'm in the same position as before I restarted; Apache can't start because apache2.conf doesn't exist, and even when it did exist something hidden was horribly wrong. Does anybody have a clue about what's going one?

Thanks!
    Last edited by Jesdisciple; January 14th, 2009 at 06:07 PM.
    Bicycling is the perfect union of driver and engine.
    Code:
    union bicyclist{ struct driver driver; struct engine engine; };

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: Apache (un)installation badly corrupted by apt-get

Would a copy of apache2.conf help at all? i could send you mine

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

If you used a gui app to remove apache2, you may have not removed all the configuration files when uninstalling a package use:

Code:
    sudo apt-get purge <packagename>
    This completely removes the the package and it's configuration files. Then run in the same terinal:

Code:
    sudo apt-get autoremove
    To remove the dependencies.

I think think someone is leading you down the wrong path, as I have a LAMP server with no gui, and everything works the way it should with no gnome-core installed.

Jim

Beans

kmac, thanks for the offer but there are several other missing files and I don't even know whether they all belong in /etc/apache2/. apache2.conf is just the first one identified when I try to start the server.

Jim, I don't mean the GUI for Apache but Gnome itself. I was stuck in the login shell, and that's where lynx and WeeChat came in.

I ran those two lines for apache2 and then installed it again, but saw no improvement.
    Last edited by Jesdisciple; January 14th, 2009 at 05:25 PM.
    Code:

Beans

I forgot about this, but... (bump)
    Code: