Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: HOWTO: Mount SSH Shares

Beans

Re: HOWTO: Mount SSH Shares

Quote Originally Posted by freelsjd
    I did this and it worked fine. However, how can I verify the mount (other than using it)? In other words, the "df" command does not show the sshfs mounted drive. How to view the mount ?
    try a last time: anyone know the answer to this question ? I did see that a "ps aux" shows the repeat of the command, but that is it so far...

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by GrammatonCleric
    I believed that fusemount is installed so root only and execute it
    This will not be the case if you follow step 3.

3) Add yourself to the 'fuse' group, then log out and log in again.
    sudo adduser your-username fuse

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by freelsjd
    I did this and it worked fine. However, how can I verify the mount (other than using it)? In other words, the "df" command does not show the sshfs mounted drive. How to view the mount ?
    I'm not at my system to check, but I would expect an entry in /etc/mtab. df is known not to work: "Certain command-line tools (such as df) do not work properly due to shortcomings in the OpenSSH implementation of sftp. To work around these holes, sshfs has to estimate disk usage and free space, which could complicate its usage for some tasks."

Beans

This kind of a solution is sooo much better than KDE and Gnomes vfs stuff. Can't wait till the desktops just use this.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by sciurus
    This will not be the case if you follow step 3.

3) Add yourself to the 'fuse' group, then log out and log in again.
    sudo adduser your-username fuse
    And if you read cdean's comments he stated that he "DID" following the instructions. So if this infact was the case and it still did not allow him to execute fusemount my post would fix the problem.

- GC
    "Nice jail. Looks strong."
    - H. Houdini

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 6.06

heh.. just got to thinking.. any way to get windows XP or older to login to a ssh server like this and mount a remote folder and such? would be great, seeing as how i have wifi here and samba is a little insecure.. i could use samba for the read-only side and should i ever be in windows and need to upload something, instead of messing with SCP, just find a mounted drive?

Beans

When I try and move a file to my fuse mounted folder it says the following:
    mv: failed to preserve ownership for `/media/prod_server/DownArrow.png': Permission denied

Is this like NFS and you have to have the same user ID stuff set up?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by GrammatonCleric
    And if you read cdean's comments he stated that he "DID" following the instructions. So if this infact was the case and it still did not allow him to execute fusemount my post would fix the problem.
    He could have missed a step, misstyped something, forgotten to reboot, etc. I know I make little mistakes all the time. If he followed the directions, and as a member of the fuse group he cannot execute a file which is -rwsr-xr-- 1 root fuse then there is a problem with his sytem that shouldn't be glossed over.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by nehalem
    When I try and move a file to my fuse mounted folder it says the following:
    mv: failed to preserve ownership for `/media/prod_server/DownArrow.png': Permission denied
    Is this like NFS and you have to have the same user ID stuff set up?
    No, sshfs is just like normal ssh, you only need an account on the remote machine. If you look in /etc/mtab when you have a sshfs filesystem mounted you should see a line like

Code:
    sshfs#bob@192.168.1.10:/home/bob /home/jane/sshfs fuse rw,nosuid,nodev,max_read=65536,user=jane 0 0
    In this example, jane is connected as bob to his home directory on another machine. All files owned by bob will appear to be owned by jane. I'm not sure why you received that error.

Beans

Great howto -- works like a charm!

Thanks very much; it was just what I was looking for!

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast