Thread: ATI and Nvidia driver updates on an Intel X3100? What's going on???

Beans

ATI and Nvidia driver updates on an Intel X3100? What's going on???

Hi,

I was going through the update manager and I noticed that three updates pertaining to Nvidia and ATI video drivers are awaiting install (nvidia-177-modaliases, xserver-xorg-video-ati, xserver-xorg-video-radeon). The thing is, I've got a Dell 1420 running off an integrated Intel X3100 graphics chip. Why is the update manager trying to update ATI and Nvidia drivers when (presumably) there are no such drivers installed on this system? Are these updates safe to install, or am I going to be staring at a command line after reboot?

Thanks!

-Ubuntu 8.10
    -Dell 1420
    -Intel 965 Chipset - X3100 GPU
    -Core 2 T5450
    -Intel wifi card
    "In the Beginning the universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move"
    -Douglas Adams

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Re: ATI and Nvidia driver updates on an Intel X3100? What's going on???

Quote Originally Posted by kanati View Post
    Hi,

I was going through the update manager and I noticed that three updates pertaining to Nvidia and ATI video drivers are awaiting install (nvidia-177-modaliases, xserver-xorg-video-ati, xserver-xorg-video-radeon). The thing is, I've got a Dell 1420 running off an integrated Intel X3100 graphics chip. Why is the update manager trying to update ATI and Nvidia drivers when (presumably) there are no such drivers installed on this system? Are these updates safe to install, or am I going to be staring at a command line after reboot?

Thanks!

-Ubuntu 8.10
    -Dell 1420
    -Core 2 T5450
    -Intel wifi card
    I don't think so. I'm a newbie with the subject about drivers and graphics cards but every time I re-install Ubuntu I always enable ALL the updates and install them and then when I reboot everything goes fine w/o problems.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Quote Originally Posted by kanati View Post
    Hi,

Thanks!

-Ubuntu 8.10
    -Dell 1420
    -Core 2 T5450
    -Intel wifi card
    I Have an nvidia card and I got those update's dealing with ati cards as well, didn't cause any problems. Perhaps they are just ways for xorg to configure itself for certain problem cards from nvidia/ati should you ever plug one in.
    "You can't expect to hold supreme executive power just because some watery tart lobbed a sword at you"

"Don't let your mind wander -- it's too little to be let out alone."

Beans

I was thinking the same, but just wanted to be sure. If the worst happens (ie. unbootable OS), can I use to the live disk to recover my data to an external hard drive?
    "In the Beginning the universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move"
    -Douglas Adams

Beans
    Hidden!

I get those upgrades as well, I guess thats the part of the plug and play component of Ubuntu, it keeps drivers of all cards in system should one decide to change cards, that way one won't need to go blank every time a new card is put in the system.