Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Thread: Dreamlinux - anybody?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Beans
    729

    Dreamlinux - anybody?

    Hi,

    I just, by accident, came accross Dreamlinux. Has anybody tested it yet or is using it?

    Advantages?
    Disadvantages?
    Support?
    Hardware and Software compatability?

    I'm still in the "check out" phase, and also I got my Ubuntu going I would like to broaden my horizon if possible.

    Thanks and regards

    longtom

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Beans
    3,170
    Distro
    Ubuntu Karmic Koala (testing)

    Re: Dreamlinux - anybody?

    I did not use the latest version, i downloaded and installed it 5-6 months ago.I did not see any advantages over ubuntu.I saw an easy application installer script but funny thing, it does not resolve the deps So it was pretty useless.I do not know if they fixed that or not.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Beans
    503

    Re: Dreamlinux - anybody?

    I don't relaly like it. I was taken in a long time ago by the nice looking interface but it soon came apart once you started using older applications in it that looked like crap.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Poland
    Beans
    281
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

    Re: Dreamlinux - anybody?

    I've tried the new Live CD and it looks great. But I've checked synaptic, and it seems the software available in the repositories is extremely old...

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Beans
    1,706

    Re: Dreamlinux - anybody?

    Quote Originally Posted by Starlight View Post
    I've tried the new Live CD and it looks great. But I've checked synaptic, and it seems the software available in the repositories is extremely old...
    its debian based i believe...

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    The Mistake by the Lake
    Beans
    1,813

    Re: Dreamlinux - anybody?

    Don't let the default appearance suck you in. I've tried so many Distros that I couldn't possibly tell you what was wrong that one specifically, it annoyed the crap out of me though, and I found my way back to Ubuntu.
    Quote Originally Posted by Homer J. Simpson
    "Dinner is the perfect break between work, and drunk."


  7. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    In front of my monitor
    Beans
    133
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

    Exclamation Re: Dreamlinux - anybody?

    It was too heavy for me and it seemed like they were trying too hard to make it look fancy. I never liked it.

    Quote Originally Posted by binbash View Post
    ....funny thing, it does not resolve the deps So it was pretty useless......
    Hahahahaha!!!

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    London, UK.
    Beans
    150
    Distro
    Kubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

    Re: Dreamlinux - anybody?

    Dreamlinux is a Debian based Xfce distro, if you want Debian + Xfce I'd go for Lenny, you can also try a Live cd, as far as support and compatability go you'd do better with Xubuntu, which is of course Ubuntu + Xfce. I'm using Xubuntu 8.10 amd64 now and it's a superb implementation of the Xfce desktop, others include Zenwalk & Wolvix both Slackware based.

    If you're interested in XFCE distro's this page would be a good starting point.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Beans
    729

    Re: Dreamlinux - anybody?

    Quote Originally Posted by Raffles10 View Post
    Dreamlinux is a Debian based Xfce distro, if you want Debian + Xfce I'd go for Lenny, you can also try a Live cd, as far as support and compatability go you'd do better with Xubuntu, which is of course Ubuntu + Xfce. I'm using Xubuntu 8.10 amd64 now and it's a superb implementation of the Xfce desktop, others include Zenwalk & Wolvix both Slackware based.

    If you're interested in XFCE distro's this page would be a good starting point.
    I am indeed. I am actually interested in anything which is lightweight but yet functional.

    In other words I am interested in a distro with a gui, which is simple yet polished and allows me to add whatever is needed depending on the machine I install it own.

    Oh yes - and it shouldn't take a 3rd year Unix student to operate it...

    Thanks

    longtom

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Germany
    Beans
    31
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

    Re: Dreamlinux - anybody?

    Hi,

    if you want fast, lightweight but functional why not try Fluxbox? Just install it and start a session with it.

    Regards

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •