Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Mini guide: Download high quality youtube vids suitable for your phone ...

Beans

Re: Mini guide: Download high quality youtube vids suitable for your phone ...

Hi MrNugget,

Quote Originally Posted by MrNugget View Post
    Code:
    ERROR: unable to write video data: HTTP Error 404: Not Found
    Any ideas?
    The -d option appears to be broken at the moment .

Andrew
    Last edited by andrew.46; May 2nd, 2009 at 01:56 PM.
    You think that's air you're breathing now?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Having the same problem...cannot download high def vids due to 404 error. This option worked fine up until a couple of days ago...and I can still d/l regular quality videos.

Sometimes when I d/l vids, there is a crackling static running over the audio. I've tried switching the file format (flv to avi), which fixed the problem in the past, but just a second ago that did not work. I had to restart my machine to d/l a good copy with clean audio. Any ideas what is causing that?

Beans

Hi Dan,

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Again View Post
    Having the same problem...cannot download high def vids due to 404 error. This option worked fine up until a couple of days ago...and I can still d/l regular quality videos.
    I suspect that something is being changed at the youtube end. I have popped a small notice on the guide that it might be best to hold off for the moment at least for the 'high definition' downloading with youtube-dl.

Sometimes when I d/l vids, there is a crackling static running over the audio. I've tried switching the file format (flv to avi), which fixed the problem in the past, but just a second ago that did not work. I had to restart my machine to d/l a good copy with clean audio. Any ideas what is causing that?
    I am afraid that I cannot duplicate this problem and I am a bit at a loss as to what might be causing it. Sorry!!

Andrew

Beans

Thanks! Works perfectly!

Beans

Hi MSToTheEnd,

Quote Originally Posted by MSToTheEnd View Post
    Thanks! Works perfectly!
    I am a little surprised as this guide has been relegated to 'Outdated.....' at my request as it was broken at the youtube-dl end and the youtube end . Anyway glad it worked for you!

Andrew

Beans

Hi,

Looks like the -b option is now the one to use. In this version:

Code:
    andrew@skamandros~/Desktop$ youtube-dl --version
    the options are slightly altered:

Code:
      Video Format Options:
        -f FMT, --format=FMT
                            video format code
        -b, --best-quality  download the best quality video possible
        -m, --mobile-version
                            alias for -f 17
        -d, --high-def      alias for -f 22
    So the code should be:
    Code:
    $ youtube-dl -b -o '%(stitle)s.%(ext)s' 'http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doTBT46wMvA'
    All the best,

Andrew

Beans

this is actually what im lookin for and it works like a charm however, im thinkin about the difference between the options best quality and high def.

Beans

Hi gonkyouka,

Quote Originally Posted by gonkyouka View Post
    this is actually what im lookin for and it works like a charm however, im thinkin about the difference between the options best quality and high def.
    I am a little surprised this guide still lives, it was relegated to the 'Outdated' section a while back . Anyway I have just downloaded the newest version:

Code:
    andrew@skamandros~$ youtube-dl --version
    and looks like the video quality options are the same:

Code:
      Video Format Options:
        -f FMT, --format=FMT video format code
        -b, --best-quality  download the best quality video possible
        -m, --mobile-version alias for -f 17
        -d, --high-def      alias for -f 22
    Making -b still the best option as youtube-dl negotiates for the best available quality available for the selected video. And still this is most usually reasonable quality h264 video and aac sound.

All the best,

Andrew

Beans

New version added to this guide:

Code:
    andrew@skamandros~$ youtube-dl --version
    Andrew

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Nice. Thanks andrew.46!
    Another round of Ubuntu for my friends here!
    Fighting to bring Pink back to The Pink Ponies archive.
    DELETE INSANITY!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast