Thread: panel disappears

Beans

panel disappears

I'm running 8.04. this has happened several times on several different installations. I'm not sure how i can fix it other than rebooting. I've googled and found threads but nothing conclusive. Of course rebooting to fix a gui problem is unacceptable so if anyone knows what i can do please let me know, thank you.

when I run gnome-panel:

Code:
    gnome-panel

(gnome-panel:14921): GLib-GIO-CRITICAL **: g_simple_async_result_set_from_error: assertion `error != NULL' failed

(gnome-panel:14921): GLib-CRITICAL **: g_error_free: assertion `error != NULL' failed

(gnome-panel:14921): GLib-GIO-CRITICAL **: g_simple_async_result_set_from_error: assertion `error != NULL' failed

(gnome-panel:14921): GLib-GIO-WARNING **: (/build/buildd/glib2.0-2.16.6/gio/gfile.c:5249):IA__g_file_load_partial_contents_finish: 
    runtime check failed: (g_simple_async_result_get_source_tag (simple) == g_file_load_contents_async)
    Segmentation fault

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: panel disappears

Entering "sudo metacity --replace" into the terminal should reload the entire Metacity window manager which might fix your panel problems. At least for the the current session anyway.

Hopefully that will have helped until someone more knowledgeable comes along and sees this thread.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I am not much more knowledgeable than others, but the next time, before you log in, go to options, sessions, and choose gnome, change session. Hopefully this will help
    Never wade in water you're afraid to swim in unless it's the Linux pond, cause there's always a life ring in the forums

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by blueshiftoverwatch View Post
    Entering "sudo metacity --replace" into the terminal should reload the entire Metacity window manager which might fix your panel problems. At least for the the current session anyway.

Hopefully that will have helped until someone more knowledgeable comes along and sees this thread.
    this removed the title bars from my windows, and now i cant type into terminals or select windows with the mouse. it gave error messages but i cannot copy them to a file now. now nothing works..

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Reboot > during grub splash, hit escape > Recovery mode > Enter (let finish)
    Repair Broken Packages > Enter (if it asks about updates hit N) (let finish)
    Try to fix X server > Enter (Let finish)
    Resume normal Boot > Enter
    Never wade in water you're afraid to swim in unless it's the Linux pond, cause there's always a life ring in the forums

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by cprophecy View Post
    this removed the title bars from my windows, and now i cant type into terminals or select windows with the mouse. it gave error messages but i cannot copy them to a file now. now nothing works..
    Sorry about that. Those changes should go away after logging back in or restarting the computer.