Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: HOWTO: Nvidia Driver + VDPAU + Smplayer +Mplayer

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: HOWTO: Nvidia Driver + VDPAU + Smplayer +Mplayer

Quote Originally Posted by Hellkeepa View Post
    HELLo!

After trying both to compile myself, and to use the repository linked to above, I've found that neither works for me (Kubuntu Hardy).

The compile seems to be flawless, but every time I try to start mplayer I just get the following message:

And my terminal isn't printing what I type either...

If I try to use the repo, I just get told the following:

Now, I don't want to fark my system seeing as I use it for my work as well, so I have not forced the installation. Might do a DD of my root partition and give it a try, if no-one has any better suggestions on how I can get this to work?

The configure and make logs are here:
    https://dl.getdropbox.com/u/228121/conf.log
    https://dl.getdropbox.com/u/228121/make.log

Happy surfin'!
    Looks to me like you have Hardy installed instead of Intrepid. The repositories I pointed to have packages built for Intrepid. Upgrade and enable all repositories (universe, multiverse and restricted).
    I said in the first post that the instructions were only for experienced users, so if this scares you I think you should wait until Jaunty is released. I expect vdpau to be standardized by then and support included in mplayer, xine, vlc and possibly gstreamer.

Frafu: I update the thread every time there's new information.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by AdrianVeidt View Post
    No, I should clarify this point. Vdpau is two things. One, a display device, like xv. The other, a codec that can use the PureVideo chip to decode certain files.

You're just talking about using the display device, and that can be used for everything. But the PureVideo chip that takes full responsibility for decoding h.264 and mpeg1/2 doesn't extend to mpeg4 or anything else.

Using the instructions in the original post you can get an smplayer that seamlessly uses vdpau's decoding when available and standard codecs for everything else, and always uses vdpau as the display driver.
    is it reasonable to think about using cpu and cuda for decoding mpeg4 or darwin and vdpau as the display driver?

Beans

Well for what it's worth, I've just been doing some naive benchmarking, and I can only say that, whilst nvidia has come in for some critisism recently (kde4 performance etc..), that the results with VDPAU are very impressive indeed.

Check out the results of my tests here:
    http://linuxsoftwareblog.com/blog/?p=58

The CPU% difference is the most surprising!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by norwoods View Post
    is it reasonable to think about using cpu and cuda for decoding mpeg4 or darwin and vdpau as the display driver?
    According to Nvidia CUDA is:

"a general purpose parallel computing architecture that leverages the parallel compute engine in NVIDIA graphics processing units (GPUs) to solve many complex computational problems in a fraction of the time required on a CPU."

Sure sounds to me like the answer is yes.

@thewOndErEr57: You're wrong about TwinView. Vdpau does work with TwinView. You didn't post the exact number of the error vdpau is reporting. I suspect it is error 23, which means you're running out of video memory.

Beans

HELLo!

AdrianVeidt: That was what I supected, indeed. Considering that some of the packages didn't even exists in my repos, or were outdated. Which is why I didn't force the installation.

As for compiling my own software scaring me, not so. I just don't want to spend most of the day on fixing something that can be avoided, when I could be working instead. I have dabbled a bit in C/C++ programming, and I work as a web developer, so hacking on stuff is just fun and games for me.

That said. Any suggestions on what I can do to get this to work properly?
    As I said I was able to get everything, except the "nvidia-180-libvdpau-dev" package. Doesn't seem like it was neccesary though, as the compile went through. I use the latest drivers from nVidia too, downloaded from their FTP yesterday.

Happy codin'!
    Last edited by Hellkeepa; February 13th, 2009 at 08:45 AM.

Beans

what is the actual executable mplayer file name? and where exactly is it locate?

im at this part 'mplayer -vo vdpau -vc <VDPAU-codec-name> <filename>'. but i cant find the executable filename.

Beans

HELLo!

If you've installed it from the repos, which is recommended, then just that line is enough. The executable is named "mplayer", quite naturally enough.
    If you compiled it yourself, it's in the current directory. Since CWD is not in the path in Linux, you have to specify the path in front of the local file you want to execute. Namely by adding "./" in front of it.

Happy codin'!

Beans

all steps went smooth until here:
    EDIT: It is no longer necessary to compile your own mplayer. Jean-Yves Avenard has a repository in which a working hack-free mplayer is housed. Here's the information:

Quote:
    deb http://www.avenard.org/files/ubuntu-repos/ release/
    i added that to the repo but i dont know what to find to install. do i search for 'mplayer'? i know by adding that line under third-party tab, it basically adds a library/package to the repo, correct? then what do i install after that? if i use avenard's repo, then i dont need to compile my mplayer? so i can skip this section?:
    At this point it's necessary to compile your own mplayer, but it should be easy. You need a build environment that will work for mplayer, so...

Quote:
    $sudo apt-get install build-essential svn - this didnt work for me. it says unable to locate svn
    $sudo apt-get build-dep mplayer

i downloaded the nvidia patch/script on my desktop. if i went this route, do i skip what was above about compiling my own mplayer since nvidia will do that for me? (comments also in red):
    Nvidia has patches and a build script to automate everything. Grab it:
    ftp://download.nvidia.com/XFree86/vd...402051.tar.bz2
    Extract it and navigate to the resulting directory. Run the checkout-patch-build.sh script -i ran this script and it did a bunch of unloading and patching, then on the last 2 things it tried to do, it says something error1 and error2. It will download the latest svn mplayer, apply the patches, and compile mplayer. When it's done you'll have, amongst other things, an mplayer executable in the mplayer-vdpau directory - did not see any mplayer executable in the folder.
    ive followed all the step up until here, then im lost:
    Now, from that directory you can run:

Quote:
    $mplayer -vo vdpau -vc ffh264vdpau path/to/file
    it keeps saying theres no mplayer and there are 2 package to install. it tells me to use apt-get install 'mplayer' or 'mplayer-nogui'. but when i use apt-get install mplayer, it says its not found.

im not sure if im making sense for you guys. its probably best if i provided screen shots, sorry im at work so i cant provide that right now.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by polobreaka View Post
    all steps went smooth until here:

i added that to the repo but i dont know what to find to install. do i search for 'mplayer'? i know by adding that line under third-party tab, it basically adds a library/package to the repo, correct? then what do i install after that? if i use avenard's repo, then i dont need to compile my mplayer? so i can skip this section?:

i downloaded the nvidia patch/script on my desktop. if i went this route, do i skip what was above about compiling my own mplayer since nvidia will do that for me? (comments also in red):

ive followed all the step up until here, then im lost:

it keeps saying theres no mplayer and there are 2 package to install. it tells me to use apt-get install 'mplayer' or 'mplayer-nogui'. but when i use apt-get install mplayer, it says its not found.

im not sure if im making sense for you guys. its probably best if i provided screen shots, sorry im at work so i cant provide that right now.
    Sir, here's the problem. You seem to have read the instructions carefully, but I guess you missed this part:
    With these instructions, I'm assuming some knowledge of the terminal and package installation, Synaptic and PPAs. These instructions are not basic enough for a total newbie. That's intentional on my part. You should not be trying to bugger around with this stuff unless you know what you're doing to start with.
    However, you have not broken your system, so I guess that's a saving grace. You need to research Synaptic, Apt, and Linux in general. The original purpose of the instructions was to save intermediate-to-advanced users like myself from having to pour through dozens of posts on the Nvidia Linux forums to accumulate this knowledge. It was not to provide error-proof instructions to new users. The Ubuntu wiki has lots of information on the subjects I mentioned, and there are Youtube videos with explanations and so forth. You can also try the #ubuntu IRC channel on freenode.
    svn should be subversion. I changed that in the first post. It's clear that you already had it installed though, so it won't matter much.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by Hellkeepa View Post
    HELLo!

AdrianVeidt: That was what I supected, indeed. Considering that some of the packages didn't even exists in my repos, or were outdated. Which is why I didn't force the installation.

As for compiling my own software scaring me, not so. I just don't want to spend most of the day on fixing something that can be avoided, when I could be working instead. I have dabbled a bit in C/C++ programming, and I work as a web developer, so hacking on stuff is just fun and games for me.

That said. Any suggestions on what I can do to get this to work properly?
    As I said I was able to get everything, except the "nvidia-180-libvdpau-dev" package. Doesn't seem like it was neccesary though, as the compile went through. I use the latest drivers from nVidia too, downloaded from their FTP yesterday.

Happy codin'!
    There is no information about the "error 1" you posted. You can ask in the Nvidia linux forums if you want. They'll answer you. What's your hardware?

Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast