Old tales I remember of men long ago.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Re: HOWTO: Nvidia Driver + VDPAU + Smplayer +Mplayer

really good project!

Beans

Is it necessary to set up mtrr in Karmic like it was in Jaunty?

With my /etc/gdm/PostLogin/Default edited to set up mtrr, it looks like /etc/gdm/PostLogin/Default is not executed in Karmic (it was in Jaunty).

I asked about this in a dedicated thread, but got no response. Hope this thread is appropriate.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Hoary 5.04

I've got an issue with the VDPAU-supporting PPAs. I use mencoder fairly liberally to convert media; for my Treo, for my wife's iPod, for my PS3, etc.

However, the version of mencoder in the PPAs - at least for Jaunty - was not compiled with libmp3lame support, and is therefore worthless to me.

After a horrible experience upgrading to Karmic (dmraid can go $&#* itself) I'm looking into what I can do. I want it all - I want VDPAU (to play the HD AVC files from my camcorder) and I want a full-featured mencoder.

Is there adequate support for VDPAU in stock Karmic (I haven't had a chance to test yet - I have to clean out the old Jaunty PPA packages first)? Or do I have to compile my own mplayer+mencoder?

Beans

Instead of disabling compiz to fix the tearing issue. I found out the vertical refresh rate was on my monitor (60). I then went to CompizConfig Settings manager and in gerneral options >> display settings I changed my refresh rate to double my monitor (120) and made sure "Sync To VBlank" was checked.

I rebooted and compiz is working great with no more tearing during video playback.

I am running an Acer Revo 1600 Ubuntu 9.10.

Beans

correct me if i'm wrong, but i wanted to install it, so i put this in the console
    Code:
    sudo install -D --install=yes --fstrans=no --pakdir "$HOME/Desktop" \
    --pkgname mplayer --backup=no --deldoc=yes --deldesc=yes --delspec=yes --default \
    --pkgversion "3:1.0~svn-`grep "#define VERSION" version.h | cut -d"-" -f2`"
    i did this obviously after the make indicated on this howto
    but i can't launch smplayer with the vdpau options...i get audio only, no video
    from the console, mplayer -vo vdpau -vc ff... movie.mkv it works fine
    i've deleted, reinstalled, and even installed some smplayer from PPA around the web...and nothing
    i really need smplayer, because is the simpler way to play MKV files from a SAMBA folder...
    i would like to thanks this HOWTO...now with my modest GeForce 6100 i can play smoothly any 720p MKV file...my CPU goes 50% tops...before even when CoreAVC went up to 90%...

Beans

Is this still really required? With 9.10 I got the latest NV drivers and then mplayer was able to play many with vdpau (MPlayer SVN-r29237-4.4.1). There were some files that crashed it though. I updated to teh 190.53 drivers and it just got worse. What's the current recommended way to get hardware decode of x264 files? I have a revo with ION chipset.
    Last edited by spotspot; January 18th, 2010 at 05:15 AM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by spotspot View Post
    Is this still really required? With 9.10 I got the latest NV drivers and then mplayer was able to play many with vdpau (MPlayer SVN-r29237-4.4.1). There were some files that crashed it though. I updated to teh 190.53 drivers and it just got worse. What's the current recommended way to get hardware decode of x264 files? I have a revo with ION chipset.
    I have Karmic running with Mplayer, Smplayer and Nvidia 195.30 from nvidia vdpau repo and every x264 video is running on my Acer Revo.
    On my Lucid install I have mplayer, smplayer from nvidia vdpau and nvidia 190.53 from lucid repo installed and all videos are running great as well!

Beans

i installed a mplayer-svn-vdpau version from a ppa repo...now i lost all
    when i try to compile mplayer...always get errors
    i know my card is not supported...but some way, i could use mplayer with vdpau improving notoriously the playback...but is all gone now...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Can I confirm that some people have vdpau working AND have composite enabled in xorg.conf? I'm using the Karmic + 190 drivers for my dual-core atom + ION machine, and the only way I've got videos to display without tearing is by disabling composite in xorg.conf.

I have also tried WiseGuy1020's suggestion of putting twice the monitr refresh rate into compiz (with compiz and compositing enabled, obviously) without success.

If you have vdpau + composite working simultaneously, please could you post your detailed setup? nvidia driver version, mplayer options, nvidia-setting options, relevant compiz and xorg.conf settings, version of ubuntu, grahics card and anything else you think might be helpful?

Thanks

Page 13 of 20 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast