Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu stalls while booting and shutdown

Beans

Ubuntu stalls while booting and shutdown

I've had this issue since I installed ubuntu. When ever I boot up or even shutdown ubuntu hangs. I normally press and hold the space bar and it continues just fine. I would really like to fix this. Also I don't think I can suspend or hibernate.

Beans

Re: Ubuntu stalls while booting and shutdown

Do you have an HP or Compaq laptop? Because the hanging on boot can be solved by adding "acpi=noirq" to the end of the appropriate kernel line in /boot/grub/menu.lst.
    Ubuntu x86_64: AMD Turion X2 1.9ghz, 4GB RAM, 250GB HDD, NVidia 7150m
    Windows 7: AMD Phenom II x4 965 BE 3.6ghz, 8GB RAM, 1.5TB HDD, ATI Radeon HD 4870

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Do you get any (error) messages?
    You can try booting in recovery mode; then you can see where it hangs. If it runs fine in recovery mode you can try and edit menu.lst and remove the splash screen so you get more info on what your system is doing and where it hangs:

Code:
    gksudo gedit /boot/grub/menu.lst
    And remove "quiet splash" from the first kernel line, and reboot.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Ahadiel View Post
    Do you have an HP or Compaq laptop? Because the hanging on boot can be solved by adding "acpi=noirq" to the end of the appropriate kernel line in /boot/grub/menu.lst.

Hp DV6747cl to be exact. So open terminal and type in "/boot/grub/menu.lst?

NVM: Which line do I add it too?

NVM: Thanks I think I got it.
    Last edited by bigbadbrad; January 11th, 2009 at 11:09 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Thank you. Works like a champ.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by avtolle View Post
    Thank you. Works like a champ.
    Awesome.
    Ubuntu x86_64: AMD Turion X2 1.9ghz, 4GB RAM, 250GB HDD, NVidia 7150m
    Windows 7: AMD Phenom II x4 965 BE 3.6ghz, 8GB RAM, 1.5TB HDD, ATI Radeon HD 4870

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Quote Originally Posted by bigbadbrad View Post
    Hp DV6747cl to be exact. So open terminal and type in "/boot/grub/menu.lst?
    No. First, hit esc while grub is loading to get into the menu; select the kernel to work with (usually the one you are currently using). Then, press the e key to edit the kernel line(the second line in my list); it will be rather lengthy. Press the e key to edit that line, go to the end of that line, press the space bar to enter a space, and type in acpi=noirq then press the Enter key when done. Press the b key to boot the machine. This will show you if it works.

If it does work, you will want to make it a permanet change by editing the grub menu.lst file. To do this, open a terminal to make a backup of your file
    Code:
     sudo cp /boot/grub/menu.lst /boot/gurb/menu.lst.original
    then while still in terminal, type
    Code:
    sudo nano /boot/grub/menu.lst
    which opens the file for editing. Scroll down to the kernel line for the kernel you are using, again add a space at the end and type in the parameter given above, and press Ctrl and o (lower case letter o) at the same time, verify the file name is correct (i.e. /boot/grub/menu.lst, edit to that if it is not), press Enter to save the file, then press Ctrl and x to exit the editor. Then,ile sstill in the terminal type
    Code:
    sudo update-grub
    . Exit the terminal, and check your work by restarting the system. Good luck.

EDIT: Under 8.10, the last command I gave above seems not to be needed.
    Last edited by avtolle; January 11th, 2009 at 11:45 PM. Reason: Additional information.

Beans

Thanks Ahadiel, the "acpi=noirq" addition fixed the startup stalling problem on my HP Pavilion dv6736nr.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Adding acpi=noirq is not a good fix. This may disable needed services. This bug is caused by a broken DSDT file in newer HP laptop BIOS's. I can fix them. Follow my how to here to the point of getting your dsdt.dsl file and email it to me. This will fix the boot, temp, and suspend/hibernate problems. http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...highlight=dsdt

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Is this needed for 9.04? My HP dv6917d boots fine now, on A/C without the problems from 8.10.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast