Thread: Rxvt-Unicode Termcap FreeBSD

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Rxvt-Unicode Termcap FreeBSD

I decided to switch my file server to FreeBSD due to my getting sick of Debian and its various quirks.
    It is a command line only system, primarily accessed via SSH.
    The Rxvt-Unicode package (and the port) requires a whole lot of X dependencies.
    Being a command line only system, I don't fancy installing graphical deps.

Every application on the system is treating my terminal as a dumb terminal, and applications requiring input refuse to start.
    The problem (I thought) was the lack of a termcap entry for Rxvt-Unicode. So, I found an entry, and appended it to /usr/share/misc/termcap.
    I was surprised to find that I had the same problem as before, so I rebooted, upon boot, I opened an SSH connection from my desktop, but the same problem remains.

I remember reading somewhere that I need to put the termcap entry in termcap.src.
    Due to my very limited BSD experience (literally an hours experience), I have no idea where to find this.
    I tried searching my local ports with "make search name=termcap", but there were no results.

Any help would be great, Xterm isn't very nice.

Beans

Re: Rxvt-Unicode Termcap FreeBSD

Quote Originally Posted by jjte View Post
    I decided to switch my file server to FreeBSD due to my getting sick of Debian and its various quirks.
    It is a command line only system, primarily accessed via SSH.
    The Rxvt-Unicode package (and the port) requires a whole lot of X dependencies.
    Being a command line only system, I don't fancy installing graphical deps.

Every application on the system is treating my terminal as a dumb terminal, and applications requiring input refuse to start.
    The problem (I thought) was the lack of a termcap entry for Rxvt-Unicode. So, I found an entry, and appended it to /usr/share/misc/termcap.
    I was surprised to find that I had the same problem as before, so I rebooted, upon boot, I opened an SSH connection from my desktop, but the same problem remains.

I remember reading somewhere that I need to put the termcap entry in termcap.src.
    Due to my very limited BSD experience (literally an hours experience), I have no idea where to find this.
    I tried searching my local ports with "make search name=termcap", but there were no results.

Any help would be great, Xterm isn't very nice.
    *emphasis mine*

Why are you running X on a command-line only system?

Anyway, this might be useful:

http://pod.tst.eu/http://cvs.schmorp...cap_file_entry

Beans

Re: Rxvt-Unicode Termcap FreeBSD

check out sysutils/jfbterm