Thread: HD 7870 card doesn't work with proprietary driver in Ubuntu 12.04

Beans

HD 7870 card doesn't work with proprietary driver in Ubuntu 12.04

I've just fitted an Asus HD7870 graphics card to my PC, and since I installed the proprietary drivers, Ubuntu stops part-way through the loading process, leaving me with a purple screen. On one occasion, instead of the purple screen, I got a blinking cursor. Ctrl+Alt+F2 has no effect.

I Googled the problem, and found 'Ubuntu Precise Installation Guide' at cchtml.com. I followed the instructions (to the letter, btw), and got the same result.

I then found 'BinaryDriverHowto/ATI' and started following the instructions and ran into a problem straight away.

After I copied and pasted the following into the terminal, 'lspci -vvnn | grep VGA', I got this result;-

john@john-System-Product-Name:~$ lspci -vvnn | grep VGA
    Control: I/O- Mem+ BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr- Stepping- SERR- FastB2B- DisINTx-
    Control: I/O+ Mem+ BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr- Stepping- SERR- FastB2B- DisINTx+
    BridgeCtl: Parity- SERR- NoISA- VGA+ MAbort- >Reset- FastB2B-
    Control: I/O+ Mem+ BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr- Stepping- SERR- FastB2B- DisINTx+
    Control: I/O- Mem+ BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr- Stepping- SERR- FastB2B- DisINTx+
    Control: I/O- Mem+ BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr- Stepping- SERR- FastB2B- DisINTx+
    Control: I/O- Mem+ BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr- Stepping- SERR- FastB2B- DisINTx-
    Control: I/O+ Mem+ BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr- Stepping- SERR- FastB2B- DisINTx-
    BridgeCtl: Parity- SERR- NoISA- VGA- MAbort- >Reset- FastB2B-
    Control: I/O+ Mem+ BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr- Stepping- SERR- FastB2B- DisINTx-
    Control: I/O+ Mem+ BusMaster- SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr- Stepping- SERR- FastB2B- DisINTx-
    01:00.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI Device [1002:6818] (prog-if 00 [VGA controller])
    john@john-System-Product-Name:~$

I'm not sure, but I don't think this contains any useful information.

Can anybody shed any light on this, please.

Thanks,

John

Beans

Re: HD 7870 card doesn't work with proprietary driver in Ubuntu 12.04

No idea how to fix. Download drivers from amd's website. Google how to patch the driver to work on your kernel. Install required files and install the debs.

Beans

Re: HD 7870 card doesn't work with proprietary driver in Ubuntu 12.04

Quote Originally Posted by deri View Post
    No idea how to fix. Download drivers from amd's website. Google how to patch the driver to work on your kernel. Install required files and install the debs.
    The first guide I followed took me through all that, and it made no difference. Thanks for the suggestion.