Page 16 of 59 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast

Thread: HOWTO Fix A Buggy DSDT File

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Re: HOWTO Fix A Buggy DSDT File

...also, the laptop came with 1GB ram. I've since upgraded to 2GB. Does anything in DSDT need to be changed to reflect this?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by RD1 View Post
    ...also, the laptop came with 1GB ram. I've since upgraded to 2GB. Does anything in DSDT need to be changed to reflect this?
    Sometimes the BIOS settings have to be changed, but as long as the operating system shows the correct amount of ram, you are good to go. I have your dsdt down to 1 warning. I will have to do some custom work to get the brackets to match. I should have it by tonight.

Beans
    Distro

RD1:

Compilation complete. 0 Errors, 0 Warnings, 0 Remarks, 850 Optimizations

It just had a missing bracket, so not bad to fix. Be sure to add the acpi_osi="Linux" definition per my first post and send me a copy of
    Code:
    sudo dmesg
    after a reboot.

dsdt.aml.zip

Beans

Thanks for all the help guys. I was having this startup problem where I had to press some key to boot and that is gone after updating the dsdt file...

I have a compaq F700. I used the dsdt file from the following thread - http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=7581849 [page 2] and it works fine and I can boot up without issues.

Thanks to all!

Beans
    Distro

Compilation complete. 0 Errors, 0 Warnings, 0 Remarks, 850 Optimizations

It just had a missing bracket, so not bad to fix. Be sure to add the acpi_osi="Linux" definition per my first post and send me a copy of
    Code:

sudo dmesg

after a reboot.
    dmesg after reboot...
    Attached Files Attached Files

Beans
    Distro

Thanks for the HOWTO - it is very enlightening. I have a question that may be off topic. I have a IBM ThinkPad R51 and if I turn off the power supply (so I run on battery) Ubuntu starts rebooting over and over till I put power back on. There is plenty of power on the battery. Basically it just looks like it is booting normally every time and then at some point it just shuts down and starts over. It never makes it to the login screen. Does anybody know if this can be related to a faulty acpi or something? (I don't know anything about this stuff).

The EXTREMELY weird part is that the problem does not occur when I have my mobil broadband usb modem (Huwaei) plugged in! When I pull out the power cord the led showing it's connected to power stays on, however Ubuntu does figure out that I'm not connected, and the battery icon appears in the panel, and I can keep running on battery power.

I noticed the problem about a week ago, but I have no idea when or why it started because I have the modem in and the power connected most of the time.

I tried upgrading from Intrepid to Jaunty, but the problem persists.

I followed the first steps of this HOWTO, and there are no errors or warnings when I compile:
    Code:
    Compilation complete. 0 Errors, 0 Warnings, 0 Remarks, 2522 Optimizations
    Any ideas what I could do next? What are the relevant logs to look at and how do I grep the proper places in them? Do you think my hardware is faulty?

I'll probably try to do a clean install of Jaunty, but I doubt it will help.

Thanks a lot for any help on this. (Let me know if I should post this in some other thread - I don't have a lot of experience with these forums).

Beans
    Distro

This might be a tough problem to crack. Attach a copy of your dsdt.dsl file, and I will take a look. Is this only with Ubuntu, or can you test it with another OS? It definatley sounds like an ACPI problem since it doesn't happen when a USB device is connected. Have you tried using the DSDT you created yet to see if it still happens?

Beans
    Distro

Thanks for the quick reply. I really have a feeling some hardware is faulty. The problem persists on clean installs of both Intrepid and Jaunty. And you are right it is definitely acpi related. If I include the option acpi=off in /boot/grub/menu.lst the problem disappears (along with all power management - I can't even see the battery in Sys. > Pref. > Power Man.).

I have loaded my own compiled DSDT and it doesn't help. I've attached the dsdt.dsl file. I haven't changed anything since it compiled without errors. I.e. I haven't done: acpi_osi="Linux". Should I do that?

I don't have access to Windows or any other OS, so I haven't tested it on anything other than Ubuntu, but I'll see if I can get one somehow. Will it be sufficient for the test just to make a Windows partition for dual boot or does it have to be installed on it's own in case the problem is in GRUB? (Again, I really don't know what I'm talking about )

Thanks again for all the help. That's what the Linux/Ubuntu community is all about

Beans
    Distro

I don't see anything in the dsdt. I wouldn't bother installing Windows. I was just curious if you were dual booting already to see if the same thing happened in Windows. That way we would know if it is hardware or software related. It would have to be installed to the hard drive to check. First, remove the DSDT
    Code:
    sudo rm /etc/initramfs-tools/DSDT.aml
    then update the initramfs
    Code:
    sudo update-initramfs -u -k <kernel-version>
    Reboot. Open a terminal, click on Edit>Profile Preferences>Scrolling tab and change 512 to about 3000. We have to do this so the terminal won't run out of space before the next command spits everything out. Now post a copy of
    Code:
    sudo dmesg
    This will show any ACPI errors. Maybe we can find a clue about what is happening.

Beans
    Distro

Here's the dmesg.

Is there any way to compile a new DSDT file, with parts of the ACPI functionality commented out to figure out what part of the ACPI is causing the problem? As I mentioned previously the problem disappears with acpi=off in GRUB...

Page 16 of 59 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast