Thread: with photoshop

Beans

with photoshop

hi i am building a new computer with 6gb of ram so need to go 64 bit my kids have vista and i hate it! did i say hate it? if anyone can think of a better word i would be glad to hear it. i digress is ubuntu 64 bit stable and with lots of drivers, ie for the nvidia 9800gtx+ graphics card and intel core i7 support? i am a photographer so have to use photoshop cs4 can i run this in natve 64bit with any adaption on ubuntu? i would really like any alternative to vista but must have photoshop. i know wine will run 32 bit (dont know how yet but would learn) but the whole point of this new computer is to take advantage of the 64 bit portion and memory address of photoshop. there are other 64 bit programs i will be using but if i can solve this one others should follow suit. hope someone clever out there can help me in this quest best of 2009 to you all.rob

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: with photoshop

Ubuntu 64 is well supported, no worries.

Here is from the Wine website
    Photoshop 5 through CS2 install and work pretty well on wine. Photoshop CS3 is usable, and Photoshop CS4 is getting close!
    http://wiki.winehq.org/AdobePhotoshop

I don't think CS3 is 64 bit, whereas CS4 is 64 bit but may not be fully supported by Wine

But if ur daily depends on Photoshop then stick to Windows or try CrossOver
    http://www.codeweavers.com/products/cxlinux/

If u can use Free alternative
    * Gimp, Gimpshop, Cinepaint, Krita, Picasa
    * There is also a non-free Linux alternative, called Pixel.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 11.04 Natty Narwhal

I would just run CS4 in Windows with virtualbox.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Karmic Koala (testing)

if you have 6 gb ram forget wine and install photoshop inside virtual machine.