Thread: Swatch install and config

Beans

Swatch install and config

Hello everyone !

I have install Swatch (apt-get install swatch) on my 8.04 server.

I have done some googling to seach for configuration tips, but I have not found any useful link.

Does anyone can help me to configure it properly ?
    where is the config file?
    Is there any documentation available on this?

Thanks in advanced

Beans

Unhappy Re: Swatch install and config

Noone seems to be using it ?

Beans

Re: Swatch install and config

For those of you interested in using swatch, here is what I have found (so far) googling the net for info and then applying it afterwards to my own ubuntu 8.04 LTS home server!

I googled the web for a detailed howto... but I found nothing easely usable by any linux newbie ! This is one reason I wrote this so people like me will get some quick help on this.

I keep my server uptodate with ubuntu released patches by running "apt-get upgrade" on a weekly (regular) basis !

I also need to mention I run postfix (swatch uses mail to warn when it finds what you asked him to monitor!).

Here is what I did :
    1. Install swatch using "apt-get install swatch" console command
    2. created a file ( /etc/swatch.conf in my case) to tell what string to monitor and whom to warn upon detection
    3. manually launch swatch to monitor a specific log and send me an email if that event occurs : root@loubier:~# /usr/bin/swatch -c /etc/swatch.conf -t /var/log/syslog & and hit twice ENTER
    4. manually kill swatch when log rotates
      root@loubier:~# ps -ef | grep swatch* to get the process number ID
      root@loubier:~# kill (and looking for a way to automate it - suggestions are welcome !)
    5. still trying to make it run as a service (any suggestion on how to do so ?)!

More to come... as soon as I find it!
    Last edited by lucloubier; March 11th, 2009 at 01:41 AM.

Beans

Came across this thread as I was googling for swatch and ubuntu.

Regarding how to run swatch as a service... The typical way is to create a script in /etc/init.d that will run swatch as you want it to. Then create a soft link in /etc/rc2.d that points back to the script in /etc/init.d

I would guess you'd want swatch to start right after syslog starts. So probably want to give the link in rc2.d a name like S11swatch. On my system, the syslog is S10sysklogd so setting swatch to S11 will ensure it runs shortly after syslog does.

Joo

Beans

Hi jchung !

Would you mind posting that script (your own or an example)so I can give it a try ?

Thanks !

Beans

Thumbs up Re: Swatch install and config

Since I had to piece this together from many sites, I'm adding this here in the interest of completeness:

If you need a more robust tool for and intrusion detection system (IDS), snort bundles swatch with other tools to provide a more comprehensive solution. I'm using swatch to monitor non-system application logs. Otherwise, you're probably reinventing the wheel.

The swatch command:
    Code:
    swatch --config-file=swatch-auth.conf --tail-file=/var/log/auth.log --tail-args=--follow=name --daemon
    • swatch -- by itself uses the hidden ~.swatchrc file as its config file and the /var/logs/syslog as the tail file to watch.
    • --config-file=<filename> -- tells swatch to use a different config file.
    • --tail-file=<filename> -- tells swatch to use a different tail file (the log to watch).
    • --tail-args=--follow=name -- tells the tail program to use the --follow=name argument instead of the -f argument. This keeps tail from "stopping" when the log rotates because tail --follow=name follows the filename, not the node id as tail -f does. Tail looks like it stopped because you're still tailing the old rolled off log file. This precludes the need to stop and start swatch for log rolling.
    • --daemon -- tell swatch to run the process in the background so you don't have to leave it open in an authenticated terminal.

A sample config entry to send an email (using postfix's sendmail interface) and a text message (ATT -- look up your carrier) when someone tries to su to root:

Code:
    watchfor /FAILED su for root/
            exec echo "Subject: auth: FAILED su for root\n\n$_\n" | sendmail "sysadmin@mydomain.org;5555555555@txt.att.net"
    • FAILED su for root -- the regular expression to trigger on
    • exec -- executes an external command without stopping swatch to do it. In this case an echoed email piped into sendmail.
    • Subject: auth: FAILED su for root -- the email subject as postfix/sendmail expects it. You could add From, To, etc to make it more robust.
    • \n -- line feeds. I hope those are self-explanatory.
    • $_ -- prints the flagged log line, not $0 or $* as the man page states!