Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu more difficult to install than Windows or Mac

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Re: Ubuntu more difficult to install than Windows or Mac

I find Linux easier to install than Windows. Both can be a pain in the rear, though.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Even counting the very first time I installed Linux, I've always found it a lot easier than installing Windows. A few days ago I set up a dual boot system for my brother (Ubuntu and XP), and it took me almost a full day just to find drivers that would work with his graphics card. Some parts (like SD card reader, fingerprint reader, and some other stuff) still don't work in Windows.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Re: How do I 'sell' ubuntu to Mac zealots?

Quote Originally Posted by Joeb454 View Post
    I think Ubuntu installs are much easier, you can carry on surfing the web while it installs, or chat to your friends...
    Agree with you
    Don't forget you can play music or watch a movie.

Last edited by Chame_Wizard; January 10th, 2009 at 07:23 PM.
    Registered Linux user,number 507113.02-01-2013: ASUS M4A785TD-V EVO 785G |Athlon 2 X4 640|4 GiB DDR|1 TiB SATA2|Radeon HD 6570(HDMI)|Realtek 7.1 HDMI audio|Gigabit Lan|Kubuntu 12.10 Quanzal AMD64

Beans

Most MODERN linux distros are easy to install. Ubuntu is by far far one of the easiest.

However, that said, neither Windows nor MacOS X are difficult by any means.

I believe I'd give the nod to Ubuntu on this one...

Beans

Exclamation Re: Ubuntu more difficult to install than Windows or Mac

Quote Originally Posted by uberdonkey5
    there is no way ubuntu can be considered 'easy to install' compared to windows or macs. Just look at the installations problems on the ubuntu forums.
    Do yourself a favor and find a windoze and a mac support forum to take a look at......
    Last edited by glotz; January 10th, 2009 at 08:29 PM. Reason: English is difficult...

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

As with all most all discussion comparing Linux/Windows and OS X, this is a highly unfair comparison.

Think about it for a second. You comparing

1) Installing OS X on Mac hardware, which is supported by OS X
    2) Installing Windows on PC hardware which is supported by the hardware manufacturers
    3) Installing Linux on PC hardware which is supported by 3rd party people without help from the hardware manufacturers, without access to any of the knowledge they need to properly create drivers.

If you want to fairly compare them, grab some PC hardware which is has Linux drivers created by the original hardware manufacturers then tell me which is the easist.

I've done all 3 and can tell you it's closer than most people think.
    OS X takes it by a nose, the DVD comes with all the drivers needed on it, the install is pleasing, simple and relatively quick.
    Ubuntu comes next, again simple and pleasing, added benefit of allowing you to use your computer while you're installing. But the install has got some options that I can imagine would confuse the average user.
    Windows comes last. The initial blue screen can be shocking on the average user (does Vista still have this? I know XP does), the hd partitioning screen is worse than Ubuntu and although the hardware is supported you find yourself having to dig out CD to find certain drivers that Windows update doesn't detect straight off and aren't on the CD.

Beans

Comparing installers is of no consequence. They are all getting better rapidly. Partitioning is and always will be an area where the user MUST have some kind of understanding of their system. How much easier can they possibly get ? I can't speak for Mac or vista but outside of partitioning, XP and Ubuntu are nothing installs.

Hell, even gentoo and arch are easy if you READ THE INSTRUCTIONS.

Hey Namtabmai, this is not aimed at you just general.

Beans

Please windows XP on a fresh install is WAAAAAAY harder then Ubuntu, its crap and takes forever.
    HOME BUILT SYSTEM! http://brainstorm.ubuntu.com/idea/22804/ Please vote up!
    remember kiddies: sudo rm -rf= BAD!, if someone tells you to do this, please ignore them unless YOU WANT YOUR SYSTEM WIPED

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by namtabmai View Post
    as with all most all discussion comparing linux/windows and os x, this is a highly unfair comparison.

Think about it for a second. You comparing

1) installing os x on mac hardware, which is supported by os x
    2) installing windows on pc hardware which is supported by the hardware manufacturers
    3) installing linux on pc hardware which is supported by 3rd party people without help from the hardware manufacturers, without access to any of the knowledge they need to properly create drivers.

If you want to fairly compare them, grab some pc hardware which is has linux drivers created by the original hardware manufacturers then tell me which is the easist.

I've done all 3 and can tell you it's closer than most people think.
    Os x takes it by a nose, the dvd comes with all the drivers needed on it, the install is pleasing, simple and relatively quick.
    Ubuntu comes next, again simple and pleasing, added benefit of allowing you to use your computer while you're installing. But the install has got some options that i can imagine would confuse the average user.
    Windows comes last. The initial blue screen can be shocking on the average user (does vista still have this? I know xp does), the hd partitioning screen is worse than ubuntu and although the hardware is supported you find yourself having to dig out cd to find certain drivers that windows update doesn't detect straight off and aren't on the cd.
    +1
    Have you ever found something in the second-to-last place you looked?
    If it seems like I am ignoring you, perhaps I am.
    world:~ mike$ rm -f /earth/united_states/washington/redmond/M$ █

Beans

Compared to an average install of XP, Ubuntu is really easy. After I install XP (which goes through several reboots and lots of questions scattered throughout), I have to flash drive over Everst home to find out what Ethernet I have. then flash drive over an Ethernet driver, download Firefox, get a graphics driver, use Everest home to find out what sound card I have, get that, etc. In Ubuntu: Next, next, next, wait 20 minutes, click restricted drivers, done. Vista is an improvement over XP though. Most Ethernet cards and many Wifi cards, as well as graphics and sound drivers, are included by default. Huge improvement, although it still has its own set of problems.
    Arch x86_64 User / Windows 7 x64 Dual Boot | Nvidia Geforce GT 430 | AMD Phenom II X4 925 (2.8 Ghz, Quad Core) | 6 GB DDR2 RAM | 500 GB HD

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast