Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trackpad disabled after wakeup from suspend

Beans

Trackpad disabled after wakeup from suspend

Hi,

First time Ubuntu user. Running 8.10 on a Gateway 6020GZ laptop.

After wakeup from suspend, the trackpad does not work (surface plus buttons). I have to plug in an external mouse and reboot.

I have seen a fix for Apple laptops for this issue but nothing for non-Jobsian machines.

I really hope I can solve this one as this is the last thing keeping me from moving entirely to Ubuntu from XP.

Thank you kindly,
    Jeff

Beans

Re: Trackpad disabled after wakeup from suspend

This is a real shame as this will force me to abandon Ubuntu to go back to the world of Windows. Literally everything else I needed worked. Darn.

Beans

Sad sad sad. The traditionally helpful Linux community has completely lost. I will now make it my life's mission to discourage anyone from installing Linux.
    Last edited by PmDematagoda; January 22nd, 2009 at 04:54 PM. Reason: Removal of CoC breach

Beans

This is going from bad to worse. My trackpad continues to not function after a hibernate. I have taken all measures and nothing will remedy this problem. I can't eat. I can't sleep. I spend most of my days looking wistfully out the window, hoping for spring but knowing that there is far too much winter to come.

Beans

Due to my ongoing trackpad problems, my wife has now left me. Due to extreme depression, my employer had no choice but to let me go. Thank you, Linux community.

This will likely be my last post, as I will be joining a group of nomadic Mongolian herders. After the setting up/tearing down of camp and daily chores, there will be little time for Linux troubleshooting. Also, there is no electricity or Internet access.

Beans

My understanding is Linux IS available in Mongolian, Thanks for using Linux.

Beans

I would recommend continuing to use the external mouse as a workaround until you can determine the cause of the problem. As an added bonus, the mouse cable can be used to tie your new mongolian yaks to their hitching posts at night.

Also, have you tried installing gsynaptics? That may help as well.

See https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Sy...hpad#shmconfig
    Last edited by icepenguin; January 21st, 2009 at 10:01 PM.

Beans

Via Reddit:
    He doesn't need to plug in a mouse to reboot. Ctrl-Alt-F1 will land him in a console and he can do "sudo shutdown -r now" from there. Or perhaps restart whatever daemon is causing the problem.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Try restarting X with Ctrl+Alt+Del. If that doesn't work, it's the drivers for the trackpad. I know that it doesn't solve the problem, but it might help categorize it.

Beans

Instead of trying Ctrl+Alt+Del. Try Ctrl+Alt+Backspace. This should restart X.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast