Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Howto: Install latest wine with patched source and manage wine prefixes

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Howto: Install latest wine with patched source and manage wine prefixes

press alt+F2, type winecfg and run. This will open the wine configuration utility, if you choose the tab about, you can see your wine version.

How did you installed wine anyway???

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I think it would be better if the sypnetec gave the latest version of Wine because then the installation would be much easier and you didn't have to follow these steps. But thanks for them though.

Beans
    Distro

The reason why synaptic doesnt have the latest version is because its a development version. After updates it usually has important regressions which are not acceptable in a stable OS. When wine gets out a new stable release, that will become part of ubuntu.

In any case, you can enable the winehq repository (I explain that at the top of the howto) to get the latest wine from synaptic, with automatic updates. The instructions for that are really simple and you dont need to compile a thing...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Quote Originally Posted by orlox View Post
    press alt+F2, type winecfg and run. This will open the wine configuration utility, if you choose the tab about, you can see your wine version.

How did you installed wine anyway???
    I'm not actually sure how wine got installed, I think I clicked on "add/remove" under the Applications tab before I installed Starcraft.

Version said 1.0, I just backed up the stuff from my wine c drive to an external hard drive, and followed the instructions you had to remove wine. Now I am following your instructions on how to install the latest version without patches, it looks like v1.1.19 is currently installing.

I will let you know how it works out. Thanks again for the help. Very simple to follow guide too so far.

Beans
    Distro

In any case, if you dont need to patch anything, just follow the steps described at the beggining (under where it says "important note!"). Those few commands will install wine and will allow for automatic updates.

If you do need patching, then you should follow everythin g mentioned after the introduction.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Talking Re: Howto: Install latest wine with patched source and manage wine prefixes

Now that I have v1.1.19 of Wine installed, game play seems to work perfectly. Videos and load times seem to be a little slow, I think this may be because of the no-cd crack. Load times were pretty slow even with the cd in windows though I guess. I have not tried a network game yet, the wine web site says it will not work in V1.1.16, fingers crossed.

Thanks for the help.

Great job on this guide too. I have only been using Linux for a few weeks now and I had no trouble with these instructions.

Beans

Oops wrong thread
    Last edited by mamamia88; November 18th, 2012 at 05:06 AM.
    Whoever came up with the phrase "There is no such thing as a stupid question" obviously never had the internet.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12