Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: user as root

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: user as root

Quote Originally Posted by rwltrz4 View Post
    I just installed ubuntu 8.04 and was wandering if for 1 person is it ok to set up just 1 user or should i set up 1 for admin and the other for day to day use for better security or in linux is there already a root user?
    Just setup one user. The user you setup will be prompted for a password anytime you are about to do something that can affect the entire system. Think Vista's UAC, but not annoying or crippling to the usability of your computer.

Setting up one daily user and one admin user when really you are just one user adds nothing to the security. It only adds a layer of inconvenience to you.
    A towel is about the most massively useful thing for fixing computers. Use it to muffle your screams when you mess up, or to dry your tears if it's broken beyond repair. When all else fails, use it to cover up the useless machine, then walk away.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by tuxxy View Post
    Yes I do and Yes Ubuntu will allow you to create a root account as I said
    Ubuntu does not allow you to create the ROOT account on installation. As I mentioned earlier, ROOT account is disabled by default. And can be activated once you had created your first user, which is not recommended though.
    Steady movement is more important than speed, much of the time. So long as there is a regular progression of Stimuli to get your mental hooks into, there is room for lateral movement. Once this begins, its rate is a matter of discretion.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

When you perform administrative tasks, it asks for a password. The user logged on has to have admin rights, you use that users password. The first user is such a user.
    MCP, A+/Linux+ Certified IT Technician
    System Specs | Dress up your "Super Button" FREE
    "If sometimes you can't be good, then be VERY good at being naughty!"

Beans

OK !! Thanks guys for all the fast replies.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

There are two mistakes one can make along the road to truth...not going all the way, and not starting.
    --Prince Gautama Siddharta

#ubuntuforums web interface

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by oldos2er View Post
    "Ubu will NOT let you set up a root account."

Actually it will, you just have to know what you're doing.
    Well, of course. It IS still Linux, even "sudo-neutered"!

eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeebuntu user!
    Registered Linux User #386750

chown -R us base

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

"Well, of course. It IS still Linux, even "sudo-neutered"!"

Shouldn't that be pseudo-neutered...?! Or pseudo-sudo-neutered....

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Yes I do and Yes Ubuntu will allow you to create a root account as I said
    Tell ya what. Do an install and post a screenie of the point where you are prompted for a "root password" as well as a "user password".

Then I'll concede your point.

eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeebuntu user!
    Registered Linux User #386750

chown -R us base

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by handydan918 View Post
    Tell ya what. Do an install and post a screenie of the point where you are prompted for a "root password" as well as a "user password".

Then I'll concede your point.

It doesn't sorry, I already said in another post that it must be done from terminal and I gave the command but post got removed as we only use sudo.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

It doesn't sorry, I already said in another post that it must be done from terminal and I gave the command but post got removed as we only use sudo.
    That is a point of confusion.

You may enable the root account if you wish, we do not mind.

What we ask is that you teach new users how to use their system and how to use sudo. This includes such things as permissions and what not.

Too often people throw out something like "gksu nautilus" as a "solution" (for example) to a new users question, but never take the time to explain permissions.

In addition setting a root password can cause problems.

So we would appreciate if you, as an experienced user, would take the time to educate new users.

There are, however, times when you do need to set a root password. In that event we support doing so, but again would prefer if you also explained how to lock the root account again and also the "risks" or setting a root password.

So please just slow down a little and take the time to educate, I think that is what gets missed in many of these root password discussions.

Keep in mind the old saying when in Rome ...

If you started posting how to install sudo, recompile / install the patches, lock the root account, and use sudo rather then su on the Fedora Froums how would you be treated ? (yes, I know you can use sudo in Fedora or Debian or any distro, that is not my point).
    Last edited by bodhi.zazen; January 9th, 2009 at 06:10 AM.
    There are two mistakes one can make along the road to truth...not going all the way, and not starting.
    --Prince Gautama Siddharta

#ubuntuforums web interface

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12