Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Syracuse: Meet Up

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Syracuse: Meet Up

Ok, I've talked to at least two other people directly outside the forums. It seems to be something that everyone wants to do. What I want to do is start the conversation here in the forums. I am hoping folks that have organized meetings in other locations of the state will chime in and offer up there ideas and knowledge.

What we need to get out of this thread is:
    -Venue
    -Date
    -Agenda

Venue
    One suggested location is the Liverpool Public Library (http://www.lpl.org/). Does anyone have any thoughts on this? Any other location suggestions.

Date
    I think people want to meet before a possible meeting for the 9.04 release. I was thinking sometime late in January or early February I don't think the first week will work as that is the week the local LUG is meeting.

Agenda
    This is a larger question. What are we coming together for? It's a little early for a 9.04 release. So any input would be helpful.

Any input would be appreciated. If you are in the area and would like to show up please let us know.
    Ubuntu Lucid 10.04
    Running Compiz Fusion across Dual LCD monitors on nVidia 7300

Lucid fixed so much on my MacBook 2.0 GHz, 2GB RAM, 200GB

Beans

Re: Syracuse: Meet Up

Thanks for starting this slick666, LPL is a better venue then I had in mind as to the Agenda there are three items which should be discussed, in no particular order they are.

-- Global bug Jam participation (it would be nice if we could get a group together to join with groups from all around the state)
    -- 9.04 release party?
    -- Do we want to officially form a Syracuse subteam (this would mean regular meetings and a few other things)

Also i think we should have some sort of presentation, but if that isn't wanted for a first meeting (pizza hut was meeting 0 ) that's alright

Beans
    Distro

Anyone else have any input?

Anyone else hosted a loco meeting at a library before?
    Ubuntu Lucid 10.04

cprofitt is offline νόησις νοήσεως - nóesis noéseos
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by slick666 View Post
    Anyone else have any input?

Anyone else hosted a loco meeting at a library before?
    I had a room reserved but backed out and used a different location. The library I was looking at had free wireless so it would be a good venue, but the room was meant for 16 people only... we ended up with sixteen showing up so it was good we moved.

You might want to try your local Bryant and Stratton too... they have wireless and computer training rooms. I have sent an email to mine to try to get a chance to talk over some ideas with them.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by PrivateVoid
    You might want to try your local Bryant and Stratton too
    I know that there is a B&S in Clay on Route 31, near where I live.

AFAIK Liverpool will house more than 16 people in their room for events. I went to a LAN party there and it was not crowded even with 20+ people there. They provided wired Internet and a projection screen, but I get the feeling that televisions were brought in by volunteers.

About agenda, I have no clue what to do. I'm game for practically anything. I would, though, like to organize a meet-up so we can start planning activities to increase awareness of Ubuntu and GNU/Linux in the greater Syracuse area. Perhaps we could use LPL for classes, open to the public?

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by InfectedWithDrew View Post
    I know that there is a B&S in Clay on Route 31, near where I live.

AFAIK Liverpool will house more than 16 people in their room for events. I went to a LAN party there and it was not crowded even with 20+ people there. They provided wired Internet and a projection screen, but I get the feeling that televisions were brought in by volunteers.

About agenda, I have no clue what to do. I'm game for practically anything. I would, though, like to organize a meet-up so we can start planning activities to increase awareness of Ubuntu and GNU/Linux in the greater Syracuse area. Perhaps we could use LPL for classes, open to the public?
    If LPL is willing I would use them... its a good public place.

The first step, in my humble opinion, is to get the team together and find a few people who feel comfortable 'teaching' or leading 'presentations'.

The presentations, for trying to expose the general public, that I would try are:

• How to secure Firefox
    • Save money by using Open Office to replace Microsoft Office
    • How to replace Windows with Linux: # types of users who can convert to Linux with ease
      • Internet / email users
      • Office productivity workers who utilize MS Office
      • Students who use the Internet for research and MS Office to write papers
    • Nine great open source applications that can help you save money and be productive
      • Open Office
      • Firefox
      • PDFedit
      • Audacity
      • GIMP
      • Inkscape
      • Scribus
      • FreeMind
      • GnuCash
      • Evolution

I think holding events like the global bug jam at the library with the bugs being projected and people being allowed to come in and ask questions is also a great idea. Make sure you have handouts that explain what Ubuntu is and what a bug jam is. I think people would be impressed at how 'open' the bug process is when compared to the denials that Microsoft and Apple so often answer customers with.

Beans
    Distro

My thoughts are that we have a meeting (open to anyone) about the Syracuse LoCo group itself. I think it might be good to physically meet face to face and discuss some of ideas we have and brainstorm some new ones.

Specifically
    • Meet and Greet
    • Review LoCo published directives
    • Discuss and brainstorm meeting, events, activities etc.
    • Tech discussion of personal (computer) issues
    • Review Action items for everybody and adjourn
    • Publish meeting notes

I think we have a few people that are really really interested in getting such a group going and I think perhaps we should all get together to have a meaningful discussion about what we can do, how we will do it, and make it public for the LoCo community at large to comment on. This meeting would not be too big so this might give us a chance to see how the Liverpool library would work as a venue too. I think that would be a good start and if we do this in February then it might give us enough time to get something together for 9.04 release.

What does everyone else think of this?
    Can you make it in February?
    If so what day range?

My suggestion is February 14th, It's a month away, and its more than a week after the LUG meeting so we might get some more interest generated from that group as well.
    Ubuntu Lucid 10.04

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by slick666 View Post
    February then it might give us enough time to get something together for 9.04 release.

What does everyone else think of this?
    Can you make it in February?
    If so what day range?

My suggestion is February 14th, It's a month away, and its more than a week after the LUG meeting so we might get some more interest generated from that group as well.
    If it does end up being on 2-14 I might even be able to make it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I kind of got in trouble for attending the SyrLUG meeting because I thought it wasn't going to last as long. Any Linux-related meet-up will be hard for me to attend, but one on the weekend, during the day, is much more likely to work for me.

----------------
    Now playing: Bowling for Soup - Sick of Myself

Beans
    Distro

Lol, was that YOUR Ride that was honking out there for so long?

Well we'll see if anyone is heading out that way to give you a lift.

I think weekends are better for us with Jobs to attend so the 7th or the 14 seem best.

Anyone else think that works for them?
    Ubuntu Lucid 10.04

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast