Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Build it and install ubuntu yourself

Beans

Build it and install ubuntu yourself

I just want to give testimony that the sager NP7350 (the new gazelle value) works with ubuntu 8.10.
    The installation process in the laptop is just: put the ubuntu cd in the cd room, and restart the laptop. Ubuntu will boot and you just have to follow ubuntu installer steps.
    It recognizes the video card, the wireless card and it has audio OUT OF THE BOX! I mean, even before installing any updates. It is a worries-free process.
    If you want to save some money, instead of buying brand laptops/pcs, you can do your search in ubuntu forum/google about the different components (video card, wireless card, sound). Then you search for laptops that are sold without OS (www.xoticpc.com) and buy it with the components that are reported to work with ubuntu.
    The laptop itself is beautiful. The only thing is that the top of the laptop is hard plastic and no aluminium. I do not know if it is a real drawback. I don'tthink that this is a deal braker.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Thumbs up Re: Build it and install ubuntu yourself

No Thanks.

I like the fact that System 76 laptops:
    a. come preconfigured with Ubuntu
    b. come with a custom driver to make sure everything works optimally
    c. come with incredible support including this dedicated forum.

My time is valuable. I don't want to do another install of Ubuntu. I don't want to hunt down drivers and fixes for things that may not work. I don't want to fight with the hardware vendor because they claim a hardware problem is an Ubuntu problem. I may save some money up front, but it will cost me a lot more in the long run. Been there; done that. For me System 76 is the way to go.
    Last edited by jbelmonte; January 15th, 2009 at 04:39 PM. Reason: Checking to see if an edit will allow thread to be marked as read.

Beans

Re: Build it and install ubuntu yourself

Yeah, I looked at that route before buying my ServalPro.

For me personally, buying the customer support, driver development, and upstream improvements to Ubuntu was well worth it. I liked the idea of supporting what Sys76 does.

It's a personal choice. I totally understand both sides - but my choice was to pay a bit more and I'm really happy with that choice.
    Regards,Old Dirty Turtle
    Desktop/Test Machine: Dell Dimension 8200, Intel Pentium 4, 512 Mhz. Hardy Heron.
    Laptop/Main: System76 Serval Pro, Intel Core2 Duo T9600 2.83 Ghz, nVidia, 4 Gb. Jaunty.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by OldDirtyTurtle View Post
    For me personally, buying the customer support, driver development, and upstream improvements to Ubuntu was well worth it. I liked the idea of supporting what Sys76 does.
    When I priced my DARU3 against the other Clevo clones, the price through System76 was cheaper regardless of which company I looked at. However, I would have paid a bit extra just for knowing some of the cost goes for further development and upstream improvements. Not to mention, the customer service has been nothing shy of fantastic.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Quote Originally Posted by OldDirtyTurtle View Post
    Yeah, I looked at that route before buying my ServalPro.

It's a personal choice. I totally understand both sides - but my choice was to pay a bit more and I'm really happy with that choice.
    +1

jdb

Beans

I could not afford to pay 350 dollars more to support system 76 (do the exercise yourself).
    I had limited budget. So I took "the risk" and it paid well. I realize how good is ubuntu itself that m future systems will be barebone systems compatible with ubuntu.
    With the price difference I found that the worse case scenario would be to have to install windows if ubuntu did not work, but it did.
    My specifications:
    intel core duo P9500
    intel SSD of 80 GB
    4 GIG RAM.
    the standard video card and audio for the model(sager NP 7350)
    thanks

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by weverjames View Post
    <snip>
    I had limited budget. So I took "the risk" and it paid well. I realize how good is ubuntu itself that m future systems will be barebone systems compatible with ubuntu.
    <snip>
    This illustrates my point and also illustrates the beauty of Ubuntu. And for the record, I don't really see it as a risk, just a personal route to take.

Where else but in the world of open-source computing can you even make this decision based on your wallet or your personal preferences and goals. Feel like installing on a bare bones box? Go for it! Feel like getting a preinstalled Ubuntu machine? You can easily do that too! 8)

You made the choice based on your own needs. So did I. And we're both happy about it. One of these days I'll be building up another desktop computer for home use, and I won't be quite so new to Linux as I am now. I'll most likely go from scratch like you (and most other folks). This time, I weighed my options and went the Sys76 route.
    Regards,Old Dirty Turtle
    Desktop/Test Machine: Dell Dimension 8200, Intel Pentium 4, 512 Mhz. Hardy Heron.
    Laptop/Main: System76 Serval Pro, Intel Core2 Duo T9600 2.83 Ghz, nVidia, 4 Gb. Jaunty.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

I just got my Serval Pro 28 hours ago.

I've slept 1 hour since.

This thing is incredible. The wuxga screen is awesome. The HDMI and DVI both work and the output to my HD projector made me cry. What I've been missing!

The Serval is based on the Clevo M860TU/M865TU. This is one of the top 15.4 machines you'll find this year, and powers Sagers, XoticPC and Eurocom systems, to name a few. I suppose you *could* buy one of them and install your own Linux distro, but why bother? As mentioned, it comes already configured and with the System76 driver. Plus, the folks at System76 were tremendous when I made my purchase. And, most important of all, I got a better deal from them than I would've from anyone else.

I'll be a return System76 customer.

If you want the Clevo (and who wouldn't? It's an awesome machine) - and you want the benefits of FOSS, get the Serval Pro from System76. That is my recommendation, and I'll say it to anyone who listens.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

OldDirtyTurtle, I don't see how the the FOSS route makes the arbitrariness of picking your system any different from the experience with proprietary software.

Even with MS Windows, for instance, you could build your system and then install a store bought Windows package for cheaper than a pre packaged machine, and with better performance.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Mirai_-_ View Post
    Even with MS Windows, for instance, you could build your system and then install a store bought Windows package for cheaper than a pre packaged machine, and with better performance.
    Yeah, you're right. You can add open-source software and get mroe flexibility and less expenditures than with proprietary add-ons. I went this route for years. It just feels easier to me on a Linux platform. That's all.
    Regards,Old Dirty Turtle

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast