Thread: openSuse 11.1 - Tips to make it most usable ever desktop

Beans

Post openSuse 11.1 - Tips to make it most usable ever desktop

In my Linux journey I used almost all the popular linux distros such as Ubuntu, openSuse, Mandriva, PCLOS 2007, DreamLinux, Fedora,Debain .. etc. So far I found openSuse 11.1 is far better in terms on usability and look and feel compare to any other distro. It just need a little bit of effort to become the most perfect desktop ever. Read the following blog for the details

http://opensusetips.blogspot.com/

Beans

Re: openSuse 11.1 - Tips to make it most usable ever desktop

I only met one guy that really liked SuSe and he was a Novell system admin and was really into Novell, a Novell fanboi if there is such a thing.

Anyways everyone else complains its one of the slowest Linux distros.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by jrusso2 View Post
    I only met one guy that really liked SuSe and he was a Novell system admin and was really into Novell, a Novell fanboi if there is such a thing.

Anyways everyone else complains its one of the slowest Linux distros.
    Seems to run faster than Ubuntu for me. Though certainly not as fast as Fedora or Slackware on the same hardware.

Beans

Smile Re: openSuse 11.1 - Tips to make it most usable ever desktop

I had several issues now and then with ubuntu, also it runs slower then openSuse 11.1

There is one bigg thing missing in Ubuntu is Run level Service Manager. I mean I'm a developer and I have to start and stop various services now and then and its very hard for me to go to command line and do that in Ubuntu.

I dont deny that Ubuntu is one of the best distro and it gives everything out of the box but it lacks in several areas. Just for an example <Alt><Tab> that is use to swith between applications, <Fn><F7> to switch to the projector display doesn't work for me in my Thinkpad with Ubuntu 8.10. Downloading pictures from my Canon Digi Cam in Ubuntu gives me hard time.....

What I mean to say is, when it comes to support native hardware I always found issues in Ubuntu.

Also it all depends on person to person what distro they like. Its true that we all love Linux and Ubuntu/opensuse are just a different flavor, there is no fight its just a comfort and preferance ... isn't it?

Beans
    Hidden!

That must be some new usage of the word "everyone" that I haven't previously encountered!

But back to my original intention....

The OP is simply posting this to get hits on his blog page, he posted the exact same thing on the opensuse forums.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Quote Originally Posted by anantgowerdhan View Post
    There is one bigg thing missing in Ubuntu is Run level Service Manager. I mean I'm a developer and I have to start and stop various services now and then and its very hard for me to go to command line and do that in Ubuntu.

I dont deny that Ubuntu is one of the best distro and it gives everything out of the box but it lacks in several areas. Just for an example <Alt><Tab> that is use to swith between applications..........
    For graphical runlevel service manager install "BUM" (Boot-Up Manager). More info

I use Alt+Tab all the time in Ubuntu to switch between apps.

Sorry but your blog sure looks like a made-for-adsense blog.

Beans

Hi Growbag,

Is it written anywhere that you cant post your blog in two forums? Its something about openSuse so I posted in openSuse forum and I have Ubuntu forum access and there is a forum to talk about other OS as well so why cant I submit similar post here?

Regards,
    Anant

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by anantgowerdhan View Post
    Hi Growbag,

Is it written anywhere that you cant post your blog in two forums? Its something about openSuse so I posted in openSuse forum and I have Ubuntu forum access and there is a forum to talk about other OS as well so why cant I submit similar post here?

Regards,
    Anant

You most certainly can, and of course you did. Nothing "legally" wrong with that at all.

I was merely pointing out the fact that you had gone onto (at least) two openSUSE related forums to advertise your blog site in order to get people to read it.

To my (possibly warped!) sensibilities that is advertising, and tantamount to attempting to make yourself and your opinions more important and popular than they would normally be.

I do not like advertising as it merely sells rubbish to idiots. A good product sells itself.

If you had written a negative report on openSUSE 11.1, would you have done the same thing and drawn attention to it in openSUSE related forums?

For example, did you post the same thing on the Fedora forums, or the Mandriva forums?

If you would (and already have) then I respect that as being a balanced representation of your opinions and salute you. If you simply wrote a positive review then called on only the people who want to hear that positive review, that is called narcissism.

narcissism - surrounding oneself exclusively with persons of the exact same points of view and vehemently excluding those of differing opinions.

But good luck to you anyway, and have a great 2009 .

Beans

Hi Growbag,

First of all, just to make it clear that I'm not in against Ubuntu nor openSuse or any other distro. I already told that its a matter of your preference. Things that works for me doesn't mean it works for others. Second my blog is not about comparison with Ubuntu.

It has something that I had to do in order to make openSuse stable on my laptop so I thought why shouldn't I write a blog and mention those steps to others as well.

Code:
    If you had written a negative report on openSUSE 11.1, would you have done the same thing and drawn attention to it in openSUSE related forums?
    So I would like to say here is, if there is anything wrong I would definetily put in the blog and why wouldn't I post it to openSuse forum? infact if you read the blog I have mentioned a bug in openSuse, so if Novell people read it they'll fix it. I'm not a suse die hard fan.

Code:
    For example, did you post the same thing on the Fedora forums, or the Mandriva forums?
    I posted to the Mandriva forum but not in Fedora because I never registered for the Fedora forum.

Another big concern that I've seen is of the Google Ad-sense!! My dear friends shouldn't I use Ad-sense on my Blog? Everybody knows its a source of earning and why can't I put Ad-sense on my blog, does it make any difference with whatever information I wrote there? Also as you guys said, you dont need to sell your blog, well I'm not selling but I'm trying to spread my blog in as much people as possible. Because I've spent time to write it I would defiantly want more and more people to see it

Anyways bottom line is, I'm not against of Ubuntu or any other distro so please dont take this blog in that prospective.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Some nice info on your blog, anantgowerdhan. As a new openSuse user I appreciate all the help I can get. I must say, 11.1 is very nice. It's become my default desktop.

You know, it's took me a bit to finally wrap my poor little brain around openSuse but now that I have I prefer it to everything else that I've ever used.