Thread: Browsing Samba Shares in PCManFM ---> Empty

Beans

Question Browsing Samba Shares in PCManFM ---> Empty

Hi,
    I'm running Arch Linux on a notebook and want to connect to a server running FreeBSD. In the LAN there are only Windows PCs which all have access to the shared directories on the server. I may not change anything in the FreeBSD setup, and I think this is not necessary as the Windows PCs can all access the shares.

I've just installed samba on my notebook and can connect to the shares with smbclient from the terminal. I specify the very same user name and password that the Windows PCs use to access the server's files. This all works. I only had to change the workgroup name in the smb.conf file.

I'm running the smbnetfs daemon on startup (listed in the DAEMONS vector in /etc/rc.conf <---- I just love that in Arch it is all configurable from here!) which automatically mounts the shares to /mnt/smbnet/.

In PCManFM (as well as in Thunar) I can browse to the shared directories but cannot open them. In PCManFM I just see no contents, Thunar tells me that I don't have permissions to access the directories.
    That's understandable from my point of view, because using smbclient I have to specify user name and password, but neither Thunar nor PCManFM ask me for that. I'm sure I have to specify user name and password in some configuration file of samba, but I don't know where.

I've read the installation HOWTOs in the PDF file available from the samba page but could not find any more information.

Could somebody help me please?

Beans

Re: Browsing Samba Shares in PCManFM ---> Empty

This was simple: the daemon script /etc/rc.d/smbnetfs was moving error messages to /dev/null. By removing the piping to /dev/null in the script (after making a backup) I could see the error and the suggestion:

Code:
    sudo chmod 600 /etc/smbnetfs/.smb/smbnetfs.conf
    (not so sure about the path)

This worked!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Congrats!!! Problem fixed? Mark the thread [SOLVED] under Thread Tools.
    Linux User #415691 Ubuntu User #8629
    Iowa Team (LoCo): [Wiki] [Launchpad]
    IRC channel: #ubuntu-us-ia on irc.freenode.net

Beans

I tried to do so several times, but there was a problem with the server for quite a while. Will try it again now.

Edit:
    I still get a database error when I try to edit the title and submit.
    Last edited by rekado; January 15th, 2009 at 01:13 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

for the record, you need to use the THREAD TOOLS menu in the upper right corner to mark it as [solved] instead of editing the title.
    Nothing to see here

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Old thread! closed.