Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Interesting Email

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Interesting Email

I recently received this email on my account signed up for the Kansas LoCo mailing list:
    Quote Originally Posted by Duane Hinnen
    Hello fellow LoCo members. I am an active participant of the Oklahoma LoCo. I have been looking through the forums and mailing lists and noticed that some neighboring LoCo's, like ours, are having some issues getting momentum. I don't think this is the fault of the LoCo's it is just the number of highly motivated Ubuntu users in our states is not as high as some of the more densly populated states.

I am proposing that we work together to make our LoCo's an exciting, challenging and rewarding experience. With a successful LoCo team we have the potential to really help advocate and develop Ubuntu and get more people using Linux and free software. Most of all we can have a lot of fun doing it. Right now we are organizing members to participate in bug triage https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Bugs/HowToTriage as well as help out with documentation https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DocumentationTeam. We are also excited about the possobility of getting Ubuntu in our local library lending programs https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuInLibraries. A lot of these projects, like UbuntuInLibraries,t only needs to be done once. After all the letters are typed and the materials made then we can just replicate it in our individual communities.

I am sending this Email to the Kansas LoCo as well as the Arkansas LoCo. I think some cooperation between the 3 of us could be exactly what we need to get some projects going. I think we have a lot to gain by sharing resources. I look forward to input from members from both LoCo's.
    Any thoughts or ideas?

Beans
    Distro

Re: Interesting Email

Personally I think its a good idea. But maybe a little ambitious for some of our LoCo members. No offense meant here, and if someone wants to get into bug triage or documentation go right ahead! But I really like the idea of UbuntuInLibraries. And maybe we could even organize a day to help answer unanswered posts or just a time to blitz the ABF with support. We could even add something to our sigs that day to raise awareness of our LoCo.

Beans
    Distro

Maybe I was a little hasty. With the upcoming Global Bug Jam, it may be the perfect time for the Kansas LoCo to get involved. So any thoughts at all?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Sounds interesting. How many people are there in the Kansas LoCo anyway?
    Linux Rookie!... Ubuntu 10.04 & WinXP...Win2K....spread among too many machines!

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by mekgp View Post
    Sounds interesting. How many people are there in the Kansas LoCo anyway?
    Not sure exactly, it's kind of hard to figure out since it's been so quiet here. I sent a lot of messages out yesterday, so we'll see here soon.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I live in the west of the state. West of Hays. Not sure anyone around here is a Linux user on a desktop level. There are several businesses of course with Linux servers functioning in one way or another.
    I always recommend to people using Ubuntu for there desktop. Especially if its only simple use, like email, web browsing, mainly because of cost. Solid OS for free with a great community of support!
    Linux Rookie!... Ubuntu 10.04 & WinXP...Win2K....spread among too many machines!

Beans
    Distro

I live in the west of the state. West of Hays. Not sure anyone around here is a Linux user on a desktop level. There are several businesses of course with Linux servers functioning in one way or another.
    I always recommend to people using Ubuntu for there desktop. Especially if its only simple use, like email, web browsing, mainly because of cost. Solid OS for free with a great community of support!
    I agree. Not sure if we'll be able to have a in person get together like some of the other LoCos are planning, since Ubuntu Kansans seem to be pretty spread out. But we could do an online meetup/bug jam though. Maybe in IRC or something.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Yes sir. Face to face meets might be pretty slim attendance! LOL
    If its on IRC or equivalent, how do we get non-linux users onboard? I guess thats not really the premise for a "BugJam" idea thou, no?

Beans
    Distro

Yes sir. Face to face meets might be pretty slim attendance! LOL
    If its on IRC or equivalent, how do we get non-linux users onboard? I guess thats not really the premise for a "BugJam" idea thou, no?
    Right. From what I understand, the Global Bug Jam is for building the community support, and to help kill a lot of bugs at the same time, thereby making Ubuntu stronger both ways.

But we can work on ways to build on Ubuntu though. The Ubuntu in Libraries idea is good, I think. But we could all brainstorm ideas to help though.

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

I live in the west of the state. West of Hays. Not sure anyone around here is a Linux user on a desktop level.
    I'm in pretty much the same boat as mekgp: though I'm just east of Dodge, my 6 nights-a-week work schedule makes me a no go for anything farther away than Great Bend or Pratt.

The biggest problem I've come across is inertia. People around me tend to see - and use - computers as tools. To use one guys analogy, "You're showing me a socket set, when all I'll ever need is a wrench"; even pointing to the lower cost of ownership going forward I haven't been able to make a strong enough case to get the local farmers attention. I know it goes back to Bug #1, but has anybody else had any luck in converting this pragmatic population base?

(Unfortunately, my expertise lies far outside of the BugJam realm; a lowly troubleshooter and not a programmer am I )

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast