Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Accessing/Mounting EXT3 in Windows 7 Beta?

Beans

Re: Accessing/Mounting EXT3 in Windows 7 Beta?

Are you all using Windows 7 x64? When I try to install using compatibility and Administrator rights, I get "Setup_x64.exe has stopped working" in the middle of the install. Is anyone else getting this or know what's wrong?

Beans

I'm also having trouble getting Windows 7 to recognize the ext3 drives after a reboot. Has anyone found a way around this?

Beans

After reboot, it still works, bot you have to go into the control panel to IFS drives and remount them. Kinda annoying, but it still works. Beware, after I installed ext2ifs, my home partition came up with a crapload of errors, which luckily fsck didn't have a problem fixing, but it was a major PITA. No clue if it was caused by Windows or not, but you never no. No data was lost during this though, but the automatic drive check on startup didn't do the trick I had to run it manually before it would even let me mount it.
    Arch x86_64 User / Windows 7 x64 Dual Boot | Nvidia Geforce GT 430 | AMD Phenom II X4 925 (2.8 Ghz, Quad Core) | 6 GB DDR2 RAM | 500 GB HD

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

This hasn't worked for me. I put the install into both compatibility mode and run as administrator, and whenever I try to open my linux drive (drive X in this case), it asks me to format it.

Even worse, the install of Windows 7 did something to Grub (Not to anything else in my partition, just Grub). I can't boot into Ubuntu anymore.

Beans

any time you install a copy of windows it will erase grub

its a simple fix..

1. boot live cd

2. open terminal

Code:
    sudo grub
    4.from grub prompt do this
    Code:
    find /boot/grub/stage1
    it will give you something like this (hd0,0)

5.use the disk that you found with the command above for this next command
    Code:
    root (hd0,0)
    (remember to change the numbers to correspond to whatever you got in the previous step)

Code:
    setup (hd0)
    (notice how i left out the ,0) thats not a typo!

it should give you some type of confirmation that it worked

then you can just quit grub
    Code:
    quit
    then exit the terminal
    Code:
    exit
    reboot!

(you will need to add windows to your /boot/grub/menu.lst)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

ext2ifs doesn't work for me either. 7 x64. nor ext2fsd, or linux fs browser.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by eleifsp View Post
    This hasn't worked for me. I put the install into both compatibility mode and run as administrator, and whenever I try to open my linux drive (drive X in this case), it asks me to format it.

Even worse, the install of Windows 7 did something to Grub (Not to anything else in my partition, just Grub). I can't boot into Ubuntu anymore.
    The reason it's asking you to format the drive is because you didn't properly shut down your computer when you last used Ubuntu. That still doesn't address the issue of disappearing drives after reboots though, but at least it's a start.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

@fatejudger: No, I did shut down correctly. And just to make sure, I shutdown properly, rebooted, fscked, then shutdown again, then tried. It said the same thing. BTW it's Mint, not *buntu, but close enough.

Beans

I'm seeing the same issue:
    • Partition of disk into NTFS, EXT3 and swap partitions using Gparted Live
    • Clean install of Windows 7 Build (32-bit) with Ext2 Installable File System for Windows installed in Windows Vista compatibility mode (into NTFS partition)
    • Clean install of Ubuntu 8.10 (into ext3 partition)
    • The EXT3 partition shows up just fine in the IFS Control Panel
    • When I try to access it, Windows prompts me to format the disk before I use it

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Yep, i'm having the same issue with Windows7 x64. IFS shows the partition, but whenever i try to access it, windows prompt me to format!

Worse thing is, my NTFS partition is only 10 GB (i made it thinking on XP), and fter installing windows 7 (and an antivirus, and adobe reader, and msn live) i have only 19 MB free for using windows. I wish i could move my Documents and settings to my ext3 partition. Otherwise i should backup my stuff and reformat/repartition my whole HDD.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast