Thread: How to get balloon tip alerts for nearly dying hard drives with Xubuntu

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Lightbulb How-to: get balloon tip alerts for nearly dying hard drives with Xubuntu

Well, hello there! I'd like to share some information on how to get notifications (balloon tips) when your hard disk is about to die. Yes, I know about smart-notifier in the repositories, but I simply dislike interpreters running full time as semi-daemons for a relatively simple script. If you do like it, no problem of course, but this mini how-to is then not for you and our ways part here.

You will need to type in some commands, though I've tried to keep it to the minimum. Still here? Good, then let's get started. First, you'll need a proper way to assess the overall health of your drive(s). There is a very good suite of tools available called smartmontools. Fire up synaptic. When the smartmontools package is selected for installation, by default a mail server will be installed as well. I personally don't like this, and to avoid it go to Settings->Preferences and then the General tab. Unselect Consider recommended packages as dependencies and click OK. Then, search and select the smartmontools package for installation. After selecting smartmontools, search and select libnotify-bin for installation. When all is installed, you might want to check Consider recommended packages as dependencies again afterwards. Close Synaptic.

Alternative: Press Alt+F2. This will open a dialog box with a single line. Here, type
    Code:
    gksudo aptitude install smartmontools libnotify-bin --without-recommends
    You might want to check Run in a terminal to see the progress. If you do install the mail server, you can receive an e-mail when a drive is about to fail. I will not go into how to configure the mail server though.

You can check your hard disk's health in various ways, which is discussed here: http://blog.shadypixel.com/monitorin...smartmontools/ and here: http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/6983. I will not go into the details of the on-line testing capabilities, as we will be using a program that runs in the background that does it for us, smartd. smartd can also be configured thoroughly, but - at least on Xubuntu intrepid and jaunty (alpha) - comes with a configuration file that simply monitors all attached hard disks. If this is not working for you, please check out the smartmontools' documentation. Now, I would have expected that installing the daemon (smartd) and Synaptic ensuring that the start-up script (/etc/init.d/smartmontools) is launched, smartd would actually start. Not so... We will have to edit another file to actually let the smartd daemon start. For the following, you'll need to start a text editor with root rights. One possibility is to press Alt+F2. This will open a dialog box with a single line. Here, type
    Code:
    gksudo mousepad
    to open mousepad with root rights (it will warn you with a red bar on top of the screen if you succeeded). Open the file /etc/default/smartmontools and remove the # from the line
    Code:
    #start_smartd=yes
    Save the file and exit mousepad. Press Alt+F2 and type
    Code:
    gksudo /etc/init.d/smartmontools restart
    Now smartd will really be started.

You have also installed notify-send, a small application that you can use to send any message and make it pop up as a balloon tip. Press Alt+F2 and enter
    Code:
    notify-send "A balloon tip" "With some text"
    into the text box. If all is well, you will see a balloon tip popping up on your desktop. 8)

The directory /etc/smartmontools/run.d/ is a placeholder for scripts that are executed when a drive fails. One of them installed by default and is a script to send an e-mail, which is why you need a mail server for this to work. We will add a script to this folder that will notify us on the desktop with a balloon tip. You'll probably feel it coming: we will use notify-send to let smartd 'talk' to us when something nasty is about to happen. The problem is that smartd is running as root, and has no idea of a graphical desktop whatsoever. However, we can work around that, as is shown in the script below. With mousepad (or any other text editor you're comfortable with) create a new file and paste the following script (based on http://gnome-hacks.org/hacks.html?id=82):
    Code:
    #!/bin/bash

# Title to pop up with
    title="Hardisk failure imminent! "

# The error report by smartd
    errortext="`cat ${1}`"

# Infinite timeout. 
    # Needs interaction to go away.
    timeout=0

# get pid of graphical session
    # Ubuntu users might try gnome-session instead of
    # xfce4-session
    pids=`pgrep xfce4-session`

# Set DISPLAY variable. Only local screens for now.
    # Needs to be exported as well
    DISPLAY=:0
    export DISPLAY;

# Go through all currently logged on users with an
    # XFCE session

for pid in $pids;
    do

# find user having a graphical session
        USER=`grep -z USER= \
            /proc/$pid/environ | sed -e 's/USER=//'`

# Set the XAUTHORITY variable and export it
    	XAUTHORITY=/home/$USER/.Xauthority
    	export XAUTHORITY

# Find DBUS session bus for this session.
    	# For some reason does not need to be exported
    	# but is crucial for functioning

DBUS_SESSION_ADDRESS=`grep -z DBUS_SESSION_BUS_ADDRESS \
            /proc/$pid/environ | sed -e 's/DBUS_SESSION_BUS_ADDRESS=//'`

# Run notify-send as the user who has display :0
    	# other icon (-i option) possibilities are
    	# drive-harddisk and face-crying
    	# See http://standards.freedesktop.org/icon-naming-spec/icon-naming-spec-latest.html
    	# for a full list.
        sudo -u $USER notify-send -i dialog-warning -t "$timeout" -u critical "$title" "$errortext" 

done
    What the script does is to look for an XFCE session and get the user that owns the session and his/her connection to the D-BUS service. The latter is necessary for notify-send to work. Moreover, notify-send needs to be run as that user, hence the 'sudo -u $USER notify-send'. This should make the script independent of the actually logged in user who runs a graphical session. Furthermore, it sets the time that the balloon tip is displayed to 'infinite', so that it's not likely that you'll miss it. Finally, the '-i dialog-warning' option shows a warning icon with the warning. Other possibilities are listed in the script.

Save the script as 65smartd-notify in your home folder. Start Thunar and go to your home directory. Right click on 65smartd-notify and select the Permissions tab. Check the box that says Allow this file to run as a program. Close the window. Then, press Alt+F2 and type:
    Code:
    gksudo cp 65smartd-notify /etc/smartmontools/run.d/
    You have just copied the script to its destination!

Now, to test this setup we are going to use the built-in test warning that smartd can generate. Open mousepad as root (Alt+F2->gksudo mousepad) and open the file /etc/smartd.conf. There will be a lot of lines. Search for the line that is not starting with a #, but (usually) with DEVICESCAN. It should end with -M exec /usr/share/smartmontools/smartd-runner. Append the following to that line:
    Code:
     -M test
    So that it reads
    Code:
    [...] -M exec /usr/share/smartmontools/smartd-runner -M test
    Save the file but leave mousepad open. Press Alt+F2. In the box, type
    Code:
    gksudo kill -SIGHUP `pidof smartd`
    Notice the backticks (`), these are not regular single quotes ('). The above line will signal smartd to re-read the smatrd.conf file. Because of the line -M test it will generate a fake warning, which you should see pop up, just like the image at the start of this post. Congrats, remove the -M test in smartd.conf (which you still had open, right? ) and save the file again, (optionally) delete 65smartd-notify from your home folder and you're done

How to undo:
    Open Synaptic, search and mark smartmontools for removal. Search and mark libnotify-bin for removal. Apply the changes.

That's it. Suggestions are welcome, of course!

Cheers,
    Robert
    Last edited by rjmoerland; January 14th, 2009 at 08:12 AM. Reason: typo

Beans
    Distro

Re: How to get balloon tip alerts for nearly dying hard drives with Xubuntu

New version posted, now works even if XAUTHORITY and DISPLAY environment variables aren't set (as is when smartd is started at boot time).

Beans
    Distro

Posted simplified version with same functionality.

Beans

Nice piece of work -- thanks!
    Intel Core i7-950 / Asus P6X58D-E / Nvidia GTX480 / siduction 64-bit on OCZ Revodrive SSD / KDE4.10.2/ Kubuntu 13.04

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by dabl View Post
    Nice piece of work -- thanks!
    You are welcome

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Ive never had a hard drive die on me -- Wait...

Beans

hi there,

thanks for the tip...

is there a way to make this work in Kde4?

kdialog --title "title" --passivepopup "message"

thanks...

Beans
    Distro

Hi,

I think that replacing the line

Code:
    sudo -u $USER notify-send -i dialog-warning -t "$timeout" -u critical "$title" "$errortext"
    in the 65smartd-notify script with

Code:
    sudo -u $USER kdialog --title "$title" --msgbox "$errortext"
    should do the trick. I can't test it at the moment though, as since I upgraded my machine to karmic, I can't log into Kubuntu anymore.

HTH
    Robert