Thread: Blu-Ray support

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Blu-Ray support

So it's not a big deal to me cause I hate blu-ray....well the DRM that goes along with it. The disk format is cool.

Anyways my wife was wondering if we could use a bluray drive in Linux and I know work was being done but I havent checked on it in a long time.

So support is there and the cracking tools are there and easy to use.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Re...BluRayAndHDDVD

So my answer to her was yes, but not legally. Like we care

Anyone try a blueray drive on a S76? Maybe an external one with a Pangoline?

I know that support for the xbox360 HDDVD drive worked well from personl exp.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: Blu-Ray support

Lee Machine, if memory serves, you have a panp4, right? That machine will definitely accommodate a blue ray drive (SATA). So, my guess is that it will work. But we've not tested with it.
    To err is human, to forgive is very ... dog-like.

Thomas Aaron
    FetchMasters, LLC

Beans

Know that the BluRay encryption is a moving target. They have changed the encryption at least 3-4 times since the BD spec 1st went commercial.

IMHO, BluRay will go the way of ALL Sony locked and proprietary formats (that are overly DRM'd)...whatever happened to Sony MemoryStick? Or Sony MiniDisc....and why? There's your answer of what will become of BD.
    PhenomII 720x4@3.65gHz w/Zalman cooler,PNY Nvidia GTX260, 4GB, Arch64

14 is NOT a random number!!!!!
    Arch Linux | new Other OS Talk forum

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by thomasaaron View Post
    Lee Machine, if memory serves, you have a panp4, right? That machine will definitely accommodate a blue ray drive (SATA). So, my guess is that it will work. But we've not tested with it.
    Thanks I'll have to try it out. My main reason for one would be to replace my PS3 as my blueray player and use a linux box as a media center.

I dont think that will happen until moonlight hits 2.0 for netflicks and boxee gets its first final release.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Skripka View Post
    Know that the BluRay encryption is a moving target. They have changed the encryption at least 3-4 times since the BD spec 1st went commercial.

IMHO, BluRay will go the way of ALL Sony locked and proprietary formats (that are overly DRM'd)...whatever happened to Sony MemoryStick? Or Sony MiniDisc....and why? There's your answer of what will become of BD.
    Downloadable streaming media is the future, not a pysical medium. This is why Netflick and others are movie towards that. iTunes will get an unlimited download plan...and they will to compete

That will be the downfall. The average consumer doest care about how wronge DRM is. Just how easy and great it looks.

Pyscial mediums will have replacements for backing up data, but blu-ray will be the last industry standard for movies.

Funny thing about miniDisc, my 2000 Daihatsu here in Japan has a minidisc player in it. They still have a market over here and are still used.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Lee_Machine View Post
    Downloadable streaming media is the future, not a pysical medium. This is why Netflick and others are movie towards that. iTunes will get an unlimited download plan...and they will to compete

That will be the downfall. The average consumer doest care about how wronge DRM is. Just how easy and great it looks.

Pyscial mediums will have replacements for backing up data, but blu-ray will be the last industry standard for movies.

Funny thing about miniDisc, my 2000 Daihatsu here in Japan has a minidisc player in it. They still have a market over here and are still used.
    Oh, the pro-sumer audiophiles in the US market loves MiniDisc...no one else does though. The format had a bright future-until Sony killed it, with hardware based DRM and with the advent of DRM free mp3 players. There are no FOSS BD software players/codecs/plugins-and there aren't going to be-because Sony wants to keep all the secrets and licensing money. And doing this will kill the format, and keep it from becoming anything more than a funny side-note in history books under "meaningless commercial wars"

I'd disagree on DRM--why else has Amazon as well as Apple reversed their positions on DRM'd mp3 downloads? People get annoyed when they cannot use their purchase under fair use, or use it in a convenient manner....and when it became a large enough boondoggle for them they changed their stance.

Of course all this is drifting further afield of the OP, but oh well.

I'm rather surprised this thread is still around, due to the questionable legality on this whole topic, considering how Canonical is very touchy on anything legally gray-like FOSS BD playing...it is even more surprising that the official Ubuntu help documents refer to the Doom9
    forums--that are not even legally gray, in terms of their undertakings. I don't have a problem at all mind you-but I find it surprising.
    Last edited by Skripka; January 5th, 2009 at 06:13 PM.
    PhenomII 720x4@3.65gHz w/Zalman cooler,PNY Nvidia GTX260, 4GB, Arch64

14 is NOT a random number!!!!!
    Arch Linux | new Other OS Talk forum